Digest for June 08, 1998

01-08 June 98  Sender:  densar@aip.mk.ua
               Subject: from Igor

02-08 June 98  Sender:  Mgray@dezzanet.net.au
               Subject: from Mark

03-08 June 98  Sender:  paula_114@hotmail.com
               Subject: from paula

04-08 June 98  Sender:  mary98@swbell.net
               Subject: from Mary

05-08 June 98  Sender:  mfarooqa
               Subject: from Farooq

RECENT EMAIL . . .

01-08 June 98  Sender:  Center for Civil Society International
                        (ccsi@u.washington.edu)
               Subject: Russian Non-Profit Sector: 1997

02-08 June 98  Sender:  jlepingwell@miis.edu (John Lepingwell)
               Subject: Russian Library Manager position at CNS

03-08 June 98  Sender:  Bill Fick (bill@samovar.ru)
               Subject: new issue of AmCham News

04-08 June 98  Sender:  "Daf" (daf@meirionnydd.force9.co.uk)
               Subject: lost addresses

05-08 June 98  Sender:  "Daf" (daf@meirionnydd.force9.co.uk)
               Subject: Re: Digest for 98-06-01

06-08 June 98  Sender:  makiko mia kitago (makichan@krsk.ru)
               Subject: Moving to Hastings, UK  for the summer

07-08 June 98  Sender:  "Maria L. Zaioncik" (maria@amsp-z.tu-chel.ac.ru)
               Subject: New friends

08-08 June 98  Sender:  Victoria Meadows (vmeadows@cep.yale.edu)
               Subject: HESP SUMMER SCHOOL PROGRAM 1999

09-08 June 98  Sender:  Victoria Meadows (vmeadows@cep.yale.edu)
               Subject: TEACHING OPPORTUNITIES FOR ECONOMISTS

10-08 June 98  Sender:  Doug LaVerne (dlaverne@usit.net)
               Subject: Machine translation

11-08 June 98  Sender:  masha.saurer@tfn.com
               Subject: looking for friends in Moscow

12-08 June 98  Sender:  "Mike Dudley" (mdud43@intrnet.net)
               Subject: additional resources (Pimsleur Language Program)

13-08 June 98  Sender:  rpwx@webtv.net (R Rickman)
               Subject: e-mail

14-08 June 98  Sender:  "Serguei A. Oushakine" (G96ous72@STUDENT.CEU.HU)
               Subject: Deep Ecology Camp in Ukraine

15-08 June 98  Sender:  "Vlad" (gnkc@relay.kuzbass.net)
               Subject: From Russia

16-08 June 98  Sender:  John George (georgy@terracom.net)
               Subject: Dreams & Sceems :-)

17-08 June 98  Sender:  kgrill@aaas.org (KGRILL)
               Subject: SCIENTIST: Sister City Scholarship Program

18-08 June 98  Sender:  Rick Thomson (rickjudy.thomson@sympatico.ca)
               Subject: MBA International Business

19-08 June 98  Sender:  dpj@webtv.net (Dale Johnson)
               Subject: Murmansk from Finland

20-08 June 98  Sender:  "Morse McDonald" (morse@tfb.com)
               Subject: favor

21-08 June 98  Sender:  TaurusC@aol.com
               Subject: international phone rates reduction

Sender:  densar@aip.mk.ua

Hello!  My name's Igor, 16 years old.  I'm from Ukraine and I want to find
a friend in Ukraine or each other country.  Please, send laters for me, I'm
waiting...  Bye for now.

Sender:  Mgray@dezzanet.net.au

High my name is mark I am 37 and I am from Australia I am interested in
corresponding with anyone around the world especially Russia So feel free
to send me a letter Regards Mark

Sender:  paula_114@hotmail.com

EVERYONE! I'm 15 years female from Finland and I would like to hear
something about YOU!!!  You know my E-mail adress now, so be brave and
write to me...

Sender:  mary98@swbell.net

Hello, my name is Mary, I live in Texas, USA. I enjoy making new friends
and meeting people from all over the world.  I am the mother of three grown
children, I have six grandchildren.  I have my own business and love life.
If you would like to correspond, please write to me.

Sender:  mfarooqa

Hi!

This is really a cool site.  I am 27 year old living in Dubai.I am looking
for nice frinds to make friendship

Sender:  Center for Civil Society International (ccsi@u.washington.edu)

             The Russian Non-Profit Sector: 1997

"The Russian Non-Profit Sector: 1997" captures the dynamic growth and
effectiveness of the non-profit sector in Russia, which comprises tens of
thousands of civic groups.  In only six or seven years a tradition of
private charity has been renewed in Russiaó assisting youth, the disabled,
the homeless, and others in need, or conducting public advocacy on issues
related to the environment, women, AIDS, etc.  In some cases groups have
engaged in capital improvements as in Nizhnii Novgorod where the
Rostropovich Fund completed construction of a hospital in 1997.  One of the
most interesting observations to emerge from this publication is the degree
to which the Russian non-profit sector has begun to resemble older civil
societies in Western Europe and North America.

"The Russian Non-Profit Sector: 1997" is a compilation of stories from the
weekly bulletin published by the Agency for Social Information in Moscow.
ASI issues weekly news bulletins about third sector activities in Moscow,
St.  Petersburg and other large Russian cities.  For the past year Center
for Civil Society International in Seattle has selected and translated four
or five news briefs from each bulletin and posted them to the Internet.
This publication is a collection of all the excerpts translated during
1997.  It contains hundreds of vignettes of non-profit work in Russia,
including a soup kitchen in St.  Petersburg, the Army of Charity in the
Urals, and a seminar organized by the Russian Believers Aid Foundation to
discuss how the clergy can more effectively serve prisoners in Russian
jails.  The publication includes a full organizational index.

A Center for Civil Society International publication 1998 105 pp., indexes,
8.5" X 11", spiral bound $ 16.00

To order:

Send a check for $20 ($16 plus $4 postage, for international
shipping contact CCSI) to:

Center for Civil Society International
2929 NE Blakeley Street
Seattle, WA  98105

To order by credit card call CCSI at: (206) 523-4755
or e-mail at: ccsi@u.washington.edu

CCSI's Web site: www.friends-partners.org/~ccsi/

Sender:  jlepingwell@miis.edu (John Lepingwell)

Russian Library Manager
Center for Russian and Eurasian Studies
Monterey Institute of International Studies

The Center for Russian and Eurasian Studies (CRES) at the Monterey
Institute of International Studies is seeking a full-time Library
Manager to supervise the Centerıs library.  In addition to managing the
libraryıs book and periodical resources the Library Manager supervises
a staff of 7-8 graduate students who sort, search, and route material
to database projects and users in the Center for Nonproliferation
Studies.

Candidates must have proficiency in speaking, reading, and writing
Russian.  Strong management, organizational, and computer skills are
required.  Knowledge of international security issues, the Russian mass
media, and library science methods would be an asset.  Education and/or
experience equivalent to a BA in Russian Studies, Library Sciences, or
a related field is preferred. Candidates with degrees in other subjects
will be considered, providing that equivalent work-related experience
is demonstrated.

Salary will range from mid-20s to 30K, depending upon qualifications
and experience. The Monterey Institute offers an excellent benefits
package.  Please submit a cover letter, resume, and two letters of
recommendation to:

Search Committee ­ CRES Library Manager
Monterey Institute of International Studies
425 Van Buren Street
Monterey, CA  93940

Screening of applications will begin June 8, 1998 and will continue
until the position is filled.  Applicants should be able to start work
no later than 27 July 1998.  EOE.

CNS WWW Site:  http://cns.miis.edu

Sender:  Bill Fick (bill@samovar.ru)

The American Chamber of Commerce in Russia has posted the May-June issue of
its journal, AmCham News, on the web at http://www.amcham.ru.  This issue
features a profile of Peter Vins, dissident prisoner turned shipping
entrepreneur.

Bill Fick
Samovar Internet Consulting, LLC
http://www.samovar.ru

Sender:  "Daf" (daf@meirionnydd.force9.co.uk)

Hello everybody again. Russian friends please write to me. I have lost
evryone's e-mail addresses due to a muddle on my computer. So I sit here in
the middle of my lovely Welsh mountains wondering how to find people again.
If any of you see this please write again.

Daf  [web page- www.meirionnydd.force9.co.uk]

Sender:  "Daf" (daf@meirionnydd.force9.co.uk)

Hello Maria. I saw your notice on Friends and Partners' bulletin board. I
hope you are enjoying yor stay in England. I live next door [in Wales, but
right up in the north]. I am a teacher of Russian and French. I don't know
a lot of Spanish except what I gleaned from the Chilean students I used to
teach years ago when most of my teaching was English as a foreign language.
Daf  [web page- www.meirionnydd.force9.co.uk]

Sender:  makiko mia kitago (makichan@krsk.ru)

Hello everyone! I've met some of the most incredible people through this
site, and I'd like to send out a general request: Here's the situation:

A girlfriend of mine here in Russia (who speaks little English) is going to
be moving to Hastings, England, with her fiance for the summer, starting
July 1998. Through this site, she is interested in perhaps finding someone
in the area, who is a native Russian Speaker who might be willing to
introduce her to a circle of friends. (they will be there for over 3 months,
and have no Russian contacts in the area)
She plays the violin in our orchestra, and is interested in traveling,
particularly to asia....

Thank you... please please send any contact information (although a mailing
address would be better, email is also fine!) to Makichan@krsk.ru

Spacibo vam ogromnoe!

********* "The world's address, a place that's worn" *********
                                                (j. flansburgh, j. linnell)

ALSO... for a quicker (?) response please send a copy to
Makiko@tsenso.krasnoyarsk.su

Sender:  "Maria L. Zaioncik" (maria@amsp-z.tu-chel.ac.ru)

Hi, everyone!
My name is Mary, I'm 16 years old. I wanna make friends with people of
my age. I like light music, English and sociable persons. Just wait..
E-mail: maria@amsp-z.tu-chel.ac.ru

Sender:  Victoria Meadows (vmeadows@cep.yale.edu)

CALL FOR PROPOSALS: HESP SUMMER SCHOOL PROGRAM 1999

The Higher Education Support Program (HESP) of the Open Society
Institute, is calling for proposals for the HESP Summer School Program
1999. The deadline for proposals is 30 June 1998.

Designed exclusively for younger university teachers (junior faculty)
from Central and Eastern Europe, Central Asia and the Transcaucasus,
Summer Schools focus on disciplines and topics in the social sciences
and humanities for which there is a need for curriculum development.
Summer School courses incorporate new teaching methods. In addition to
lectures, courses include activities designed to encourage
participants to express their opinion about the material they are
studying. The Summer Schools seek to foster an intellectual
environment that actively engages the participants leading to
discussions, debates and projects extending beyond the classroom.

HESP will give grants for Summer Schools on a matching-fund basis with
HESP covering no more than 50% of the overall costs of the program.
HESP will cover more or less of the cost of individual summer schools
depending on their merit and HESP's funding priorities.  In general
grants will range from $10,000 to $50,000.  HESP will provide advice
and assistance to identify additional sources of funds.

Proposals are welcome from local or western individuals connected to a
university, NGO or National Soros Foundation.  For more information,
including the organizational guidelines, go to the HESP home page at
http://www.osi.hu/hesp/ or send a message to  hesp@osi.hu . Please
submit proposals to the HESP Budapest office by 30 June 1998.

--
Victoria L. Meadows                vmeadows@cep.yale.edu
Civic Education Project            cep@cep.yale.edu

Sender:  Victoria Meadows (vmeadows@cep.yale.edu)

TEACHING OPPORTUNITIES FOR ECONOMISTS

Civic Education Project
Visiting Lecturers Program

The Civic Education Project is a private voluntary not-for-profit
organization dedicated to higher education reform and democratic education
at universities in Central/Eastern Europe and the former Soviet Union.

Positions are available for the 1998-1999 academic year with the
possibility of renewal.

Who is qualified?

All economists who have an MA (ABD & PhD preferred) or MBA
and are fluent in English.

TO REQUEST AN APPLICATION PLEASE CONTACT:
Civic Education  Project
P.O. Box  205445
New Haven  CT 06520-5445
Tel: 203.781.0263
Fax: 203.781.0265
Email:  CEP@cep.yale.edu
http://www.cep.yale.edu

Sender:  Doug LaVerne (dlaverne@usit.net)

In recent posts such as May 25 several people have asked about on-line or
software/machine translation.  I can mention two web sites:
http://babelfish.altavista.digital.com/cgi-bin/translate
and http://www.systransoft.com/

The babelfish site is available free on the internet, and is powered by
systran software.  Russian and Chinese are not among the language pairs
(to or from English) listed.

The systran site includes Russian and Chinese in its various products.  It
is a largely commercial site.  Systran products are in part a
commercialization of several decades' work by the military and intelligence
communities that originated in the Cold War.  I have used systran-based
translation a little at work.

People who have asked about machine translation include Jerry Covington
(covingj@lookingglass.net) and Susie Moore (Soozmo@aol.com).

Sender:  masha.saurer@tfn.com

Hi my name is Masha I am 25 I would like to make acquaintances in the
Moscow area I arrive to Moscow on the 10th of June and will be there
permanently, i have not been back in 7 years I studied before at MGu and at
school no.  6 by VDNKH metro station.  I will be working for my firm in
Russia and traveling all over.  You can write to me in Russian if you wish
please repond to masha25@hotmail.com

Regards
Masha

Sender:  "Mike Dudley" (mdud43@intrnet.net)

The Pimsleur Language Program has several languages available, Russian
being one of them.  I bought the trial-size with eight lessons and was
amazed and impressed enough to upgrade to the 30 lesson Level I package.
There are no gimmicks, just straight forward audio cassettes with a lesson
of about 30 minutes length on each side.  Nearly everyone that has tried
the Pimsleur method swears by it.  It really does work!

Mike Dudley

Sender:  rpwx@webtv.net (R Rickman)

I have a friend of mine who lives in Ufa and we correspond through a
service which recieves my e-mail letter, makes a hard copy and mails it
to her.  Then the reverse is done for her letters to me.

I am looking for some service where she might e-mail me directly. I, of
course will pay the carges. Is there some place she can go in Ufa to do
this?

Your help would be greatly appreciated.

Sincerely,

R.P. Rickman
Nashville, TN.
U.S.A

RP

Sender:  "Serguei A. Oushakine" (G96ous72@STUDENT.CEU.HU)

Deep Ecology Camp in Ukraine                 5/28/98

Dear friends,

AHALAR Center is organizing its environmental summer camp "Pure Land" and
invites all who are interested to participate.  Please pass along this
information to your friends, colleagues and whoever you think might be
interested!!

WHERE?:

The camp, surrounded by a protected woodland area and several nearby
lakes, is situated on the picturesque banks of Desna river.  It is located
near Chrenigov, a 1300 year old town in north-western Ukraine.

ABOUT THE PROGRAM:

The camp's program is based on Deep Ecology trainings and a unique
THREE-A-Methodology developed by AHALAR Center.  During the two week
session you will have a chance to:

* Experience our Deep Nature

* Understand the unity of nature and humans through experiential learning
and interactive trainings

* Express your concepts and feelings of deep nature through painting

* Learn ancient spiritual techniques to better understand yourself as a
living being of infinite opportunities

* Learn ancient Slavonic healing traditions and different massage techniques

The program also includes a trip to the St. Anthony caves, where many
generations of monks lived and practiced, as well as trips to other pearls
in the Chernigov region including unique churches and cathedrals.
Finally, you will have the chance to visit the Chernobyl nuclear power
plant to see the devastating effects of "technological development" on
nature and humans.

A typical day at "Pure Land":

7.00 - 8.00     Wake up and time for swimming
8.00 - 9.30     Integral Training technologies
9.30 - 10.45    Silent breakfast
10.45 - 13.30   Interactive trainings, group discussions
13.30 - 15.00   Lunch
15.00 - 17.00   Time for reflection
17.00 - 19.30   Group work
19.30 - 20.00   Dinner
20.00 - 23.00   Creative expression and sharing

Volunteers from the American Peace Corps working in Ukraine will also be
involved in the camp.

FOOD:
Everyone will have a chance to participate in cooking over an open flame
and to master the secrets of traditional Ukrainian cooking.

LIVING ACCOMMODATIONS:
Participants generally live in one big tent; however, you are welcome to
bring own tent and sleeping bag.

WHAT TO BRING?:
You will need simple clothing for life in nature. Clothing should be
comfortable and suitable for physical exercise such as trips to the
forest. Don't forget to bring a bathing suit!

DATES:
July 3 - July 16

GETTING TO THE CAMP:
You should be in Kiev by July 3. There organizers will meet you at 12 noon
on July 3 at the central bus station (Moscow square) and you will be
accompanied directly to the camp. If the time of your arrival does not
coincide with this date, please get in touch with us!

COST OF THE CAMP:
The cost for participation is $399.  This covers all expenses such as
tuition, living accommodations, food and trips.

DEADLINE:
Please let us know if you would like to participate by June 10.

We look forward to hearing from you and welcome your participation!!  If
you have any questions, please contact:

Yuri Trofimenko or Igor Podgorniy at:
AHALAR Center, PO Box 69,
Chernigov 250 000, UKRAINE
tel/fax: 380-4622-72776
E-mail: ahalar@elit.chernigov.ua

ABOUT AHALAR CENTER:

The AHALAR Center of Humanistic Technologies is a Ukrainian nonprofit,
nongovernmental organization and a branch of the international AHALAR
Foundation. AHALAR Center is an educational organization dedicated to
promoting ecological awareness and understanding of the interconnectedness
of the Web of Life.  We believe that such awareness leads to peaceful
coexistence, which is the basis for solving the problems of our time.
Therefore, the goal of our Center is to provide people with skills needed
for peaceful coexistence and interaction. To fulfill this task AHALAR
Center works to develop new educational technologies for teachers, adults,
students and children in cooperation with:

Deep Ecology Institute(USA)
International Foundation "Education for Human's Survival" (Russia)
AHALAR Academy (Russia)
Warsaw University (Poland)
Center of Civil Initiatives (USA)
Polessky University (Ukraine)

   |  CivilSoc is an electronic news and information service  |
   |  provided free of charge to 1,200 subscribers worldwide  |
   |  by Center for Civil Society International in Seattle.   |
   |  For more information about civic initiatives in post-   |
   |  Soviet societies and elsewhere, send an e-mail to us--  |
   |  ccsi@u.washington.edu--or visit our Web site:           |
   |         http://www.friends-partners.org/~ccsi/           |
   |   (c) 1998. This message may be copied or reposted with  |
   |   due credit to Center for Civil Society International.  |

************************

Serguei A Oushakine
Program on Gender & Culture
Central European University
Nador u.9, Budapest
1051-H, Hungary

Sender:  "Vlad" (gnkc@relay.kuzbass.net)

My name is Vladislav Beliaev.  I live in Western Siberia (Russia).  I am 30
years old.

I like tourism and mountains some years ( Mountain Altay, Pole of a cold of
the Earth, Mountain Shory).  I have a opportunity to conduct groups of the
tourists on Mountain Altay and Mountain Shory.  It very beautiful places.
The tourist potential a these place equal to Austria Alpes.  Could you help
me to organize tourist business in these places?  What you think about it?
I hope to hear from you soon.

Vlad Beliaev.

Sender:  John George (georgy@terracom.net)

My Dear Friends!!
Soon I will be returning to Moscow-(my second trip). -My last trip,in
'96, I lived with a family for 5 weeks.  I've been trying to get back
ever since.

This time, I'll go as a teacher to write curriculum with colleges from
both sides of the 'pond'.   One item that I intend to promote is a list
serve for all those who have taken part in this project over the last
five years.

Problem:  Although I am convinced that list serves can be a powerful
force for good, I lack the technical expertise to establish and
administer a list.   Any suggestions will be appreciated.

Sincerely,
John George
Project Linking V

Sender:  kgrill@aaas.org (KGRILL)

 ***Eisenhower International Scholarship Fund***

The Eisenhower International Scholarship Fund provides scholarships
of varying amounts for international students to attend U.S.
post-secondary educational institutions in or near their U.S. sister
city.

*BACKGROUND*

Initiated in 1987, the Eisenhower International Scholarship Fund,
which is supported through the proceeds of the Eisenhower
International Golf Classic and is administered by SCI, has awarded
more than 100 scholarships to international students.

*REQUIREMENT*

Sister Cities Committees must apply on behalf of the international
student. The application will not be accepted unless signed by the
chairman.

There is no limitation on the subject matter the student studies.

*DEADLINE*

OCTOBER 15, 1998 is the deadline for Spring Semester 1998 scholarship
applications.

[Generally, the deadlines are June 1 and October 15 of each year.]

*AWARD*

The awards are typically $500-$1,000 per semester.

*CONTACT INFORMATION*

An application can be obtained from:

Carrie Olson
E-mail:  colson@sister-cities.org

Sister Cities International
120 South Payne Street
Alexandria, Virginia 22314 USA
Phone: 703.836.3535
Fax: 703.836.4815
E-mail:   info@sister-cities.org
Webpage:  http://www.sister-cities.org/grants/ike.html

Sender:  Rick Thomson (rickjudy.thomson@sympatico.ca)

MBA student in Canada presently doing a paper for my
International Business course. The paper is concerning Business in
Russia, Opportunities and challanges. I would greatly appreciate any
assistance you can provide me concerning this topic. i.e Where and what
are the best opportunites, what are they major challanges..how does a
business start up, banking arrangments, employee selection, sites,
funding, partners, and if possible interviews with recent business that
have located in Russia.
Recent articles in Russia papers etc. (in  English) concerning business
opportunites.

Any help would greatly be appreciated.

Judy

Sender:  dpj@webtv.net (Dale Johnson)

I would like to  visit Murmansk this summer.  Is it possible to get
their by boat (ship) from northern Finland?   Or is it better to take a
train from St. Petersburg?

Any comments would be appreciated.  I am in Dallas.

Sender:  "Morse McDonald" (morse@tfb.com)

I have been searching in vain for the web site of the SIBERIAN FARMERS BANK
or possibly the SIBERIAN PEASANTS BANK in Novosibirsk.  If you have
this information, I would consider it a great favor if you would e-mail it
to me at.  morse@tfb.com