Digest for May 02, 1998

01-02 May 98  Sender:  dss@mail.utnet.ru
              Subject: from ppdss

              Subject: from Matveyeva Anna

              Subject: from Amy

              Subject: from Polozov Alex

              Subject: from Kirill Liu

              Subject: from PAVEL BURE FAN CLUB

              Subject: from Mikhail Andereev

              Subject: Penfriend

              Subject: visa suggestions

              Subject: New Access Russia Catalog is Here!

              Subject: Russian Life and Access Russia

              Subject: Russian Life (CLASSIFIED INFO!)

              Subject: Hi from Lithuania!

              Subject: WW2 - History

              Subject: Russian language

              Subject: Culture shock?

              Subject: looking for friends in Moscow

              Subject: from North Ossetian State University

              Subject: Russian literature

              Subject: looking for army buddy

              Subject: Help for Americans travelling to Russian to adopt

              Subject: looking for friend.

              Subject: Source of Eyeglasses

17-02 May 98  Sender:  McKinney (mckinney@ecmi.de)
              Subject: publishing Russian documents in the net

18-02 May 98  Sender:  YANKI PURSUN (puersuen@stud.uni-frankfurt.de)
              Subject: Russian Customs

19-02 May 98  Sender:  "Douglas W. Gatton" (drgatton@snip.net)
              Subject: Apartment in Moscow for August, 1998

Sender:  dss@mail.utnet.ru

HELLO ALL!!!  My name is Dmitriy.I am from Ekaterinburg, Russia.I am 21.I
seek a friends around the world.I wait your letters.  LOVE, DMITRIY.

Sender:  matveyeva@hotmail.com

Hi guys!  I am from Russia and studying in Switzerland.  It is pretty
borring here and somtimes I need to talk to someone.  It would be a
pleasure for me if someone could write me something.  Thank You!  BYE!

Sender:  arkamy@hotmail.com

Hello!  Hope everyone is doing well...I am looking for anyone from
Kyrgyzstan (Kyrges Republic) because I am going there in June with the
Peace Corps.  I am especially interested in finding out more about daily
life, living conditions, food, or any other information that may be useful
(or not) to me.  Please write me at my e-mail address and I will get right
back with you...Thank you!!!

email:   arkamy@hotmail.com

Sender:  polozov11@hotmail.com

Hi people!  I am from Russia, and studying in USA right now.It is my first
days on the internet and I will be pleased if someone would write something
to me.

Sender:  cejkliu@uxmail.ust.hk

Hi! Tanya,

I am Kirill Liu, I have lived in Moscow for 8 years, so I have almost the
same feelings about Moscow.  I got my Ph.D in Moscow Civil Engineering
Institute.  Those moscow life always stay in my mind, I have the same
desire as you.

See you
Kirril

Sender:  pbfc@pbfc.org

Visit our pages dedicated to the great Russian hockey player, and captain
of the Russian Olympic hockey team, Pavel Bure.

http://www.pbfc.org

The site is in English.

Sender:  "Regstar" (regstar@nvkz.kuzbass.net)

Invite You to the
correspondence with Internet use.
My name Sergei.I live in Russia. Interests
many-sided. Particularly strong fascination computers and Internet.
My address: regstar@nvkz.kuzbass.net

Sender:  http://www.oldrussia.com

We are glad to introduce you new web site http://www.oldrussia.com

Here you'll find charming lacquer boxes, unforgettable matryoshkas, icons
as old as the 17th century, hand carved wooden toys from Bogorodskoe
village, painted eggs, trays and more!!!

Welcome and enjoy !!!

webmaster@oldrussia.com

Sender:  "Hillman" (ghillman@ndirect.co.uk)

Hello

My name is Rosalind and I live in Sussex England.  I am 42 years old and I
work as a nurse on an Intensive Care Unit, my husband is a doctor.  We have
seven children.  I would like to write to someone from any where in the
world.  I like music - Radiohead, Pulp, Finlay Quaye, Mozart, Opera - loads
of stuff.  I like to cycle when I have the time and swim.  The big love of
my life (apart from my family) is football.  I support West Ham United and
go to see them play frequently with the rest of the family, I would like to
write to someone else  who likes football preferably.

Rosalind.

Sender:  Judy Antipin Hartheimer (jhart@cynet.net)

I am traveling to Russia (first to Moscow) in June with a friend on a
combination personal visit/video project/tourist holiday. We are both
American citizens. We will be staying with a friend in Moscow, then
traveling with him to Irkutsk where we will stay with his brother first,
then at a camp near Lake Bakail for a conference. My friend and I will
also visit St. Petersburg during the month that we are in Russia. Our
host just inquired about getting the letters of invitation we need for
our visas from his local OVIR (I am not sure what that stands for) and
was told it would take a month, so he is understandably upset. We should
still be able to get the visas in time, but it will be very close. Since
he has invited us to come, we are applying for a "private visit" visa.
Does anyone know a way to speed up the process on his end?? Also, what
are the advantages/disadvantages of the different kinds of visas? We
have gotten information and the applications from the Russian Embassy in
Washington, D. C. (we downloaded it from the internet). But it does not
explain really about the different kinds of visas. Any advice or
suggestions will be appreciated.
Thank you,
Judy Antipin

Sender:  "Paul Richardson" (paul@rispubs.com)

The Spring 1998 edition of the Access Russia catalog is now
available! For five years, we have been surveying books and
publications of over 100 publishers and companies. The result is the
most comprehensive review of books, maps, videos and publications in
English on Russia the FSU and Eastern Europe.

Access Russia covers:
*Language Learning: by tape, CD, video or book; also some great stuff
for Russians wanting to learn English
*Fiction: the best in recent Russian fiction and new issues
*Non-fiction: from history to biography to current events
*Maps and atlases covering the whole region
*Children's Books: loads of great new titles in this area, featuring
some of the best-loved Russian fairy tales
*Culture: the best available on understanding Russians, or for
Russians to understand Americans
*Travel Guides to the whole region, with some very specialized guides
like Russia by River, Russia by Rail, Transib guides and more!
*Cookbooks on the cuisines of the region
*Gift cards with Russian motifs
*Music: from the Russian National Orchestra and others
*Videos: travel videos for the whole region
*Software: to type and read in Russian on your PC or Mac
*Art books and CD Roms

.and more!

In all, over 300 items of interest to the Russophile or Slavophile
(and for Russians interested in better understanding the US).

To get a free copy of the new edition of this catalog (Edition 11),
simply email to:  sales@rispubs.com  and ask for a copy of Access
Russia. Be sure to include your mailing address. Of course, you can
also call, any time day or night, to 800-639-4301 and we'll take your
request that way.

Best regards,

Paul Richardson

Sender:  "Paul Richardson" (paul@rispubs.com)

The new edition of the Access Russia catalog (over 300 books, maps
and other publications on Russia, Central Europe and points between)
is now updated on our website:

http://www.rispubs.com

Of course, you can also order a printed version of the catalog from
there, or by emailing  sales@rispubs.com  or by calling 800-639-4301.

Also updated on our website: several new stories from Russian Life,
including the March lead story on the beauty of Russian women, and
the April lead story on the history of Vodka in Russia.

Enjoy!
RIS Publications
89 Main St., Ste 2, Montpelier, VT 05602
ph. 802-223-4955 * fax 802-223-6105
email: sales@rispubs.com
http://www.rispubs.com

Sender:  "Paul Richardson" (paul@rispubs.com)

       ***** URGENT ANNOUNCEMENT ********

40,000 Russophiles read Russian Life magazine
and they would love to hear about:

     * special tours
     * special airfares to/from Russia
     * telecom services
     * geneological research services
     * new books and products related to Russia
     * bed & breakfasts
     * pen pal services
     * visa services
     * translators
     * web sites
     * insurance services
     * gift ideas
     * language programs

If you offer any such services or products, then
you will be interested to know that Russian Life
now offers a very COST-EFFECTIVE way to reach
our 40,000 Russophile readers.

This new option is TEXT-ONLY CLASSIFIEDS (no boxes no
graphics, just the first 3-5 words in caps). No need for
ad layouts, just send us the text and we'll take care of
the whole thing!

So... here's how to reach 40,000 Russian Life readers for about
one-tenth of a cent apiece:

CLASSIFIED AD RATES:
20 word minimum. $1.50 per word. All ads must be
prepaid by check, money order, Visa, MasterCard or
American Express. Ads and payment must be received
by the 1st of the month to be in the next month's
issue. In some instances, later submissions will be
possible -- email or call the publisher for info.

COUNTING WORDS: One or more characters divided by
a space will count as one (1) word, with no exceptions.
This includes zip codes and ampersands (&).
Hyphenated words (-) or words separated by a slash (/)
will count as two words. Phone numbers count as one
(1) word. Advertiser must include name, address, phone
and/or email, word count and payment when placing
their ad.

CLASSIFIED SECTIONS (OTHERS MAY BE ADDED IF THERE
IS DEMAND): ACCOMMODATIONS, BOOKS/PUBLICATIONS,
BUSINESS SERVICES, CRUISES, LANGUAGE, GENEALOGY, GIFTS,
INSURANCE, MISCELLANEOUS, PEN PALS, PHONE SERVICES,
TOURS, TRANSLATIONS, TRAVEL SERVICES, VISA SERVICES,
WEBSITES.

Ads should be sent by email, fax or mail to the
address below (may also be phoned in):

Paul Richardson
Russian Life
89 Main St., Ste 2
Montpelier, VT 05602
ph. 802-223-4955
fax 802-223-6105
email: ads@rispubs.com

We look forward to hearing from you! (Deadline for
the June/July combined issue will stay open until
May 5, so it's not to late to get your ad in!)
email: ruslife@rispubs.com
http://www.rispubs.com

Sender:  "Audrone Kliciene" (audra@asc.mpole.soros.lt)

Hi everyone!

        My name is Walter Goodwin.  I just heard about this great listserve
from my former Russian grammar Prof. at the U. of Arizona.  What a great idea!

        Currently, I'm working as an English teacher in Marijampole, Lithuania.
However, I'm activly looking for other work here in the Baltic states (prefer-
ably in Lithuania) that is related to either the International Relations/Area
Studies fields or with an American firm doing business here in the Baltics.
        I have a Bachelor's in Russian and Political Science from the
University
of Arizona and a Master's from the University of Glasgow from their Institute
of Russian and East European Studies.  I've spent quite a bit of time traveling
aroud the Baltics and northwest Russia, and have a decent grasp of
conversation-
al Russian.
        If anybody out there has some leads or ideas, please pass them on
to me!
I'd be, of course, very thankful for any information.

        Best wishes,

                Walt

Sender:  Dvskor (Dvskor@aol.com)

Searching for any and all information concerning the Russian Liberation Army
(ROA - POA) known also as the Vlasov army during the Great Patriotic War.  Of
special interest is the Prague Manifest and the fate of any Vlasovs soldiers
repatriated to the Soviet Union at the end of the war.  Any input is greatly
appreciated. Please replay to Daragan@theglobe.com

Sender:  JBurton191 (JBurton191@aol.com)

I am an 11th grader and considering taking Russian next year. Please provide
me with some information regarding this language.  I've taken Latin and it was
really hard.  Is Russian hard?  Is it fun?  Is it easy to catch on?

Thanks

Sender:  LADA-AKSARINA@webtv.net (Lada Aksarina)

Drastvuiteh Drooks,
     My name is Ron,... My fiancee Lada Aksarina will be moving here
from Novosibisk as soon as her visa gets approved, what can I do to make
her more comfortable here in Juneau, Alaska? Is there a web-site where
Russians can find other Russians living in the United States?
     Lada has good access to e-mail,... If you can help Lada adjust to
life in the U.S.A,... please do. Her e-mail address is;
Kodeks@online.sib.ru

Balshoy spasiba, Ron

I love you Lada.

Sender:  masha.saurer@tfn.com

Hi my name is Masha, I am 25 I am comming to Moscow for studies and would
like to meet some men and women my age in Russia.  I arrive 10th of June
and will permanently live in Russia.

Sender:  Victor Samsonoff (samson@nosu.ru)

Can anyone help the faculty of foreign languages of  North Ossetian
State University to obtain ANY periodicals in German for purpose of
getting acquainted with the peculiarities of the language of press? It
is difficult to find German newspapers here. Thank you in advance.
North Ossetian State University
Faculty of Foreign Languages
German Department
46 Vatutina Street
Vladikavkaz, 362025
Russia

Sender:  Cuddle198 (Cuddle198@aol.com)

Hello,
        I am a senior in high school, and have just finished reading Animal
Farm.
Many people who read this book feel as though there are direct links to the
Russian Revolution.  I was wondering how you feel about this.
        Also, do you feel that any of the literature written during the
Revolution
had any impact on the Revolution itself?  Could you please suggest some web
sites that I could go   to for further help?
        And one last question, could you please suggest a few authors who wrote
during this time period in Russia and the names of their novels?
I will anxiously wait for your reply.  Thank you! Amanda

Sender:  rhkirk@usit.net

Could you help me find an Army buddy from the Viet Nam era who was well on
his way toward his PhD in Russian and is probably teaching Russian, or has
taught Russian in the recent past.  His name is Larry Nieters (not sure
whether that would be "ie" or "ei") and his home was in the St.  Louis area
in the early 70's.  He and I along with other friends were at Fort
Holabird, Maryland, and then Fort Bliss, Texas in El Paso together, then
shipped out to Viet Nam in early 1970.  If you could get my name, address,
telephone number, and email address to him, or if you could give me similar
information about him, I would appreciate it.  Sincerely, Ron Kirkland 107
Tuckahoe Road Jackson, TN 38305 901-664-1149

Sender:  Robert Bowie (bowierl@miavx1.acs.muohio.edu)

Dear Friends,

I am a professor of Russian language, literature and folklore at Miami
Univ., in Oxford, Ohio.  Although Russia has become the Number One country
for international adoptions by Americans, those Americans going into the
country to adopt rely most frequently on Russian facilitators.  This works,
for the most part well, but some of the things I have heard and seen lead
me to believe that my services may be very useful.

I have been going to the soviet Union and Russia for 25 years, speak
Russian very well, have an excellent knowledge of the culture, Russian
mentalities, etc.  I will be in St.  Petersburg May 5-July 20 of this year.
Any Americans interested in having me accompany them (from Moscow to the
city of adoption and back), can get in touch with me through my travel
agent, Anna Nagornaja 011-7-812-550-5575 (St.  Petersburg).

Services I could provide:

Informal sightseeing around Moscow (or St. Petersburg)

Translation and intermediation with Russians on all levels (in Moscow, at
the orphanage, in the courtroom)

Checking and translating medical documents and any other official papers.

Robert Bowie, PhD

p.s.: You may be able to get ahold of me through e-mail, as I hope to be
able to check my U.S. e-mail from Russia.

Sender:  Djalil Ahmetov (adjal@yahoo.com)

I want to find any friend from English talking country. I live in
Russia/Ufa and my interests are programming(C++, C++ Builder, Pascal,
Delphi), 3dStudio Max and music.

Sender:  "ds" (David@belarus-online.com)

"T. S. White" (tswrace@ibm.net) Posted to Friends Humanitarian aide request.

>The children need eyeglass frames and shoes.
>If anyone out there could bring a few,

The Lions club has been helping in this area for some time. You will need to
have someone who can sort and fit these glasses for the children. An eye
doctor, He'll need to have the equipment for measuring the eyeglasses. You
can find a local office in most towns.

Sender:  McKinney (mckinney@ecmi.de)

Dear Sir or Madam,

We would like to publish Russian documents on our website, which is at:

http://www.ecmi.de/

Of course it is important to us that as many browsers as possible can
read our Russian documents. My question is this:

Can we use the fonts supplied with MS Word 97 for this purpose? Please
let me know what you think would be the best way to publish Russian
documents on our website.

I appreciate any assistance you can give me in this regard.

Best regards,

William McKinney
Librarian

European Centre for Minority Issues
William McKinney
Librarian
Schiffbruecke 12
D-24939 Flensburg, Germany

e-mail: mckinney@ecmi.de
Tel:    +49 461 1414970
Fax:    +49 461 1414969

Sender:  YANKI PURSUN (puersuen@stud.uni-frankfurt.de)

Hi!

Who has experience or info? What will happen if someone (resident or
foreigner) arrives in Russia with let us say 8 pieces of luggage and 100 kg
of clothes, things, presents etc.

Thanks
Yanki

Sender:  "Douglas W. Gatton" (drgatton@snip.net)

I may need an apartment in Moscow for three to four nights in August,
1998.  I do not know specific dates yet, but will know within a week.
Please advise if you know of someone who I can contact about this
matter.

Thanks,

DWGatton