Digest for April 23, 1998

01-23 April 98  Sender:  ira_yosi@inter.net.il
                Subject: from Ira Vinitsky

                Subject: from Kate Pickering

                Subject: from Pol Yamat, Jr.

                Subject: from "Q"

                Subject: Russian Concerts - Aquarium and Auktyon

                Subject: Looking For A Few Good Men and Women

                Subject: Making friends into Partners.

                Subject: U.S./Russian Disaster Cooperation

                Subject: INFO-RUSS: Friendly help needed

                Subject: Student Looking for Information

                Subject: Cyrillic font problem

                Subject: GlobalFriends web site

                Subject: Book markets in Ukraine

                Subject: Book markets tmg

                Subject: Cyrillac Fonts

                Subject: Employment Opportunity in Moscow

                Subject: Environmental Bond Guaranty Fund

                Subject: Russian, of course (Kanyeshna)

15-23 April 98  Sender:  tburola@ns1.gega.net
                Subject: UNNL Services

16-23 April 98  Sender:  Douglas Northrop (dnorthro@calvin.pitzer.edu)
                Subject: Call Russia 49 cents/min or less

17-23 April 98  Sender:  kgrill@aaas.org (KGRILL)
                Subject: SCIENTIST: Collaborative Research Grants

Sender:  ira_yosi@inter.net.il

I was born in Kishinev and I would like to have penpals there.

Sender:  k-pickering-1@alumni.uchicago.edu

I'm planning to spend next year in in St. Petersburg, Russia preparatory
to a PhD program back in the states in Imperial Russian History. So, I'm
mostly going to work on language skills and generally see the place I'm
going to spend the rest of my life studying, but my plans for a funded
research project may be falling through, and I need to support myself
while I'm there. Consequently, I'd love to get in contact with Russians
or expats in the St. Petersburg area, as I have many questions about the
best way to go about a job search by remote, since ideally I'd like to
have at least a line on a job before I go. I'd love to hear some general
impressions of living and working in Russia, as well.

Sender:  srs1405@ipe.tsukuba.ac.jp

For everyone,
I am from the Philippines but I am now here in Japan for a one and a half
year scholarship program under the Monbusho.  I am taking up School
Administration.  My undergraduate course is psychology.  I am interested to
know someone from Russia to share valuable knowledge especially on
education.  Pol Yamat

Sender:  WY7325YRS@AOL.COMM
Subject: from "Q" FORMERLY SEPTEMBR FROM  CONCENTRIC NET

I AM SEARCHING FOR A FRIEND I LOST WHEN I SWITCHED MY ONLINE SERVICE, I DID
NOT HAVE A CHANCE TO LET HER KNOW AND I MISS HER. YANA IS HER NAME AND SHE
IS 25YRS. OLD AND WORKS IN THE BROADCASTING INDUSTRY,I STILL HAVE YOUR
PICTURE FROM THE GALLERY IN YOUR WORK CLOTHES IF YOU ARE OUT THERE AND ARE
READING THIS,PLEASE DROP ME SOME E-MAIL AT MY NEW ADRESS SO I CAN SEND YOU
A PICTURE OF ME AND PICK UP WHERE WE LEFT OFF.........I HOPE I FIND YOU
SOON.....:-)).."Q"

Sender:  collagen@interport.net

Hello!  This message is to let you know that Boris Grebenshikov/Aquarium
and Auktsyon will be touring U.S. of A. in late April - May 1998.
(http://www.collagen.org/aaa/

Aquarium is the oldest and the most prominent Russian Rock Band...and
Auktsyon is extremely cool with its post-punk lyrics, dance and music.
Something not to be missed!  Superior venues, sound, lighting and etc!

        The Aquarium concert schedule is:

        Chicago - Park West - April 24; call (773) 764-0404 for tickets
        New York - Irving Plaza - April 25; call (212) 673-0776
        Boston  - Karma Club - April 26, call (617) 783-1590
        Washington, D.C. - The Bayou - April 28; call (301) 881-5973
        New York - Roxy (with Auktsyon) - April 30; call (212) 673-0776
        Seattle - King Kat - May 1; call (206) 323-8882
        San Francisco - Herbst Theater - May 3; call (415) 392-4400

        The Auktsyon schedule is being determined. Here are some exact days:

        For show in New York with Aquarium on May 30, call (212) 673-0776
        For show in Washington, D.C. on May 1, call (301) 881-5973
        For show in Chicago on May 10, call (773) 764-0404
        For show in San Francisco on May 9, call (408) 260-1042

For additional shows information, information about the bands, retail
ticket outlets and other fun stuff, please visit
http://www.collagen.org/aaa/

The seats are limited.  Get your tickets today and have a great time at the
show - we promise, it will be a great one!  :)

Sender:  "KIMBERLY WANG" (EARDOG@dti.net)

Looking For A Few Good Men and Women

My name is Kimberly and I'm a producer/director based in New York City.
Typically, I produce feature stories/documentaries for the networks ie.
ABC, CBS, NBC, VH1, Lifetime, etc.  But right now, I'm researching an
independent documentary that I would like to shoot in Moscow.

Specifically, I would like to explore what it is like to be an American
expat living and working in Moscow.  I'm looking for people who are
intriguing in some way; people who are comfortable speaking with a camera
pointed in their direction; people who are trying to make a difference in
some way as an expat.  Now this last statement, 'trying to make a
difference' is really broad.  This could apply to an entrepreneur who is
trying to shape the new economy, or an artist who is sharing their own
brand of creativity with a different culture, or an activist of some sort,
or a journalist who likes to shake things up a bit.  I am looking for
people of all types who can represent the wide range of the Moscow expat
experience.  Rich, poor, young, old.  But ultimately, I am looking for true
individualists--people who consider themselves pioneers--pioneers with
great stories to tell.

Just in case you're interested, it just so happens that I have a couple of
friends in Moscow who have lived and worked there for several years.  They
know the language and the culture well, and it is their influence that
piqued my interest in the region.  I visited the country last month while
shooting stories for ABC and was fascinated by the expat community.  That's
you, of course.

Anyone who is interested in telling me their stories should feel free to
email me at eardog@dti.net.

Warmest regards.  I look forward to hearing from you.
Kimberly Wang
eardog@dti.net
work: 212.456.4778 ABC Sports

Sender:  "Thomas Cappiello" (tcappiel@unicom-alaska.com)

My name Thomas Cappiello, and I am currently working for the Alaska
Department of Fish and Game in Bethel as an assistant area managment
biologist.  My education background is in fisheries, a B.S from Humboldt
State in California and an M.S form University of Alaska-Fairbanks.  I
traveled to Kamchatka in 1994 and went on float/fishing trip on the Opalla
River.  Going to and fishing in Kamchatka had been a dream of mine since my
undergrad days, much more so than going to Alaska.  I went to Kamchakta
again in 1997 for the same purpose, but this trip involved some research on
rainbow trout.  The Russian group that organized these trips is, the
Mykisia Foundation.

The group "Mykisia Foundation" and its function is similar to the Wild
Salmon Center run by Pete Soveral in Seattle Washington, in that they fund
their research by anglers paying to go collect data from sport caught fish.
The Foundation is working with the Moscow State University so some extent,
the KoTinro Fisheries Institute in Petropavlosk, and Kamchatrybod the local
fisheries regulatory and licensing authority.

I would like to help the Mykisia Foundation by opening my own "branch" as a
non-profit organization or institute to conduct research on the freshwater
fish populations and assist in the establishment of realistic, rational
nature management policies and increasing the standard of living of local
peoples while maintaining a protective attitude toward nature -- I stole
that but its fitting.

What I am after is the ability to qualify and apply for various research
and development grants to further the Mykisia Foundation's cause.  Relying
on anglers to pay for research works for the Wild Salmon Center (I should
add that the center's main focus is on steelhead, and not necessarily
resident species) but director Peter Soveral has close connections with
high-level bureaucrats in Washington D.C and some of the fly-fishing
world's literary elite.  But bringing anglers into the game has not been
fruitful for us, and I would like some options.  I am interested in hearing
any comments or suggestions you may have.  You seem to be well along in
conducting a such a joint-venture program.

Thomas Cappiello
----------

Sender:  "Tom Robinson" (trobinso@worldnet.att.net)

We truly have become Friends and Partners!  From sleepy little Richmond,
Virginia, we are coordinating a portion of the worldwide emergency response
activities of EMERCOM of Russia (similar to FEMA in the U.S.)  The Russians
have developed the world's largest and most effective firefighting
aircraft, which is ten times larger than most of the other tanker aircraft
in the world.  This gently giant is capable of applying a layer of fire
retardant, foam or water, 300 feet wide and almost one mile long, in only 8
seconds!  It will soon be called into service in fire-prone countries
around the world, saving lives, property and the environment.  Cooperation
is far better than confrontation!  If your country can benefit from this
remarkable aircraft feel free to contact me at any time.

Tom Robinson, Chief Administrator
Global Emergency Response

International Liaison to EMERCOM of Russia