Digest for March 30, 1998

01-30 March 98  Sender:  Malinka@worldnet.att.net
                Subject: from Yura Pasynkov

                Subject: from Anita

                Subject: from marlene wirtanen

                Subject: from Nelson Santiago Reis

                Subject: from Margit Mueller

                Subject: from James (Jim) MacDonald

                Subject: from Frederick Pogorzelski

                Subject: from Lewis E. Crenshaw

                Subject: from Dmitrii Casian

                Subject: from ProBa (c) Language Centre

                Subject: Russian Housing

                Subject: Immigration policy list

                Subject: U.S. students studying in Russia

                Subject: School assistance

                Subject: SCIENTIST: OSI - Fellowship Opportunity

                Subject: Help Needed

                Subject: New Central Asia Environmental Web Site

                Subject: Discussion groups

                Subject: Heuristic Olympiad

                Subject: JOB: U.S.-Ukraine Foundation (X-POST from CIVILSOC)

                Subject: death and dying issues . .

                Subject: Information about scholarships, grants, and jobs.

                Subject: Funding for Gender Studies Research

                Subject: please help me

                Subject: MILLENNIUM CHILDREN

                Subject: CHILDREN ARE CARETAKERS

                Subject: cyrillic

                Subject: terrorism within FSU

                Subject: Potential for partnership

                Subject: recruiter for Russian computer professionals

21-30 March 98  Sender:  InfoServices International (dohanm@infoservices.com)
                Subject: Job Opening

22-30 March 98  Sender:  lamiller@flash.net
                Subject: looking for Soviet era wedding photographs

Sender:  Malinka@worldnet.att.net

Hello,

My name is Yura. I live in Russia.

I am a young guy who enjoys life, friends,parties, computers.  I am a
last-year student of a Polytechnic University.  I started learning English
& would like to find an English-speaking penpal, a girl who is interested
in Russia, its people & culture.  Unfortunately, there is no Internet so
far in the town where I live & our correspondence can be only thru the
regular mail.  If it won't frighten you I will be glad to receive your
letter.  You can get my address thru my sister who lives in USA :
Malinka@worldnet.att.net I am looking forward to here from you soon.

Sincerely,
Yura

Sender:  anitamorgan@technologist.com

Love the pages! My son, Ian, and I are in West
Palm Beach, Florida. He is interested in a penpal
from Russia.  Our family is from Saratov, so
someone from that area would be especially
wonderful, but any Russian would be great!

Sender:  wirpanen@nb.sympatico.ca

hi...glad i found this place...am interested in hearing from someone in
karelian district

i am researching family tree and know that victor wirtanen's parents owned
a cheese factory in that region...looking for info...can anyone
help...thank you

Sender:  eagle@fisepe.pe.gov.br

I'm from Brazil.  My city is Recife, in Pernambuco State, northeast of my
country.  I think that this site is a very, very good idea!  And I'd like
to know if somebody could communicate with me.  Could be in basic English,
but I'd prefer in portughese, obviously, if it's possible!  Greetings!

Sender:  h9551254@miraculix.wu-wien.ac.at

Environmental protection in Russia - responsibility of Russia for the
environmental heir of the former republics of the Soviet Union

Who is familiar with this topic?  Could you please write me (e-mail) if you
know anything about this topic!

Sender:  macdonaldjim@aristotle.net

My mother's parents were German-Russians, Peter and Elizabeth Schmal from
Warrenburg north of Volgagrad on the Volga River.

They imigrated to the U.S. in 1906.  I was the first of my family to return
to Russia.  We visited Leningrad and Moscow in 1989.  It was a very moving
experience for me to journey to the land my family had called home.  I fell
in love with Mother Russia, and hope to return again to visit our friend
Olga Oskolkova in Moscow someday soon.

Jim

Sender:  FPogorzels@aol.com

It's my first time here I like your idea.  Good Site!  I am the owner of
the Russian Business Center a privately owned and operated export trading
company.  If you have a product to sell at world competitive prices then
contact me with full pricing information and any of your sellers
requirements.  http://members.aol.com/overctrade

Sender:  lew.crenshaw@usa.dupont.com

I am also interested in this subject.  In the USA laws have evolved such
that with the transfer of property one can obtain indeminification for
future liabilities coused by past environmental damage ..  such as ground
contamination.  I am sure you know this from your question.  I am
interested in the state of any such laws or precident in Russia / FSU..but
have only second hand information so far indicating that this is not being
done.  I expect to be directly investigating this further.  Wil you also be
prusuing this subject ??

Regards.

Sender:  clona@cc.acad.md

Hi!  I am surgeon from Moldova.  I am 26 year old.  Please contact my
E-Mail.

Sender:  sp@mail.nevalink.ru

Want to learn Russian but don't know what begin with?  We think that with a
good textbook.  Look at widest Russian online bookstore at
http://www.studyrussian.spb.ru/books.htm All you need to know Russian and
understand Russia: textbooks, reader books, dictionaries, Russian
literature in translation.

Sender:  femmefetale@juno.com

Privet!
        I'm doing research on housing in Russia...and I'm having a hard
time finding any information on what the housing situation is like today.
The latest stuff I've come across is from 1994. Can anyone can give me
some kind of information on what it's like there today for families,
single parent families, unwed young singles, the widowed, and the
retired, as they search to find a place to live? Now that communism no
longer rules the country, and there is no blot system for privileged
citizens and families, how difficult is it to be able to afford a decent
place to live in? Are there any kinds of publically funded affordable
housing, or is the private sector taking over the housing market
now?---thus, making it harder for the average citizen to afford an
apartment with a private kitchen and bathroom. Have things gotten better
for the housing market since the years of communist rule, to the fall of
communism, and now to present day? I'd appreciate any responses to my
inquiries, especially first hand accounts from Russian citizens! Thanks
for helping out a starving college student : )
                                --Anya

Sender:  msk@cis.org (Mark Krikorian)

The Center for Immigration Studies in Washington, D.C., operates a free
Internet mailing list on immigration policy for academics, policymakers,
journalists, attorneys, activists and others. The 1,200-plus subscribers
include most of the prominent figures in the field, on all sides of the
issue. The list concentrates on the United States, but includes information
from other countries.

CISNEWS is a moderated list for announcements, news items, reviews, queries,
etc. (Not just items from CIS, but from anyone who wishes to submit
something for consideration.) There is no discussion or debate.

CISNEWS features 15 or so postings a week. To join, send an e-mail message
to center@cis.org, simply asking to be subscribed to CISNEWS.

Thank you.

[Our apologies if you are already on the list or have previously decided not
to subscribe.]

Mark Krikorian, executive director
Center for Immigration Studies
1522 K St. N.W., Suite 820, Washington, DC  20005-1202
(202) 466-8185 (phone); (202) 466-8076 (fax)
msk@cis.org             http://www.cis.org/cis

Sender:  CGEdu (CGEdu@aol.com)

Hello,
My name is Olga and I am working for Consultants for Global Education (CGE), a
St. Paul-based educational agency. I am looking for information which can give
me some statistical data regarding number of U.S. students studing in Russia
and business potentials/economics of more American students going to Russia
for study.
Your insights or any references where I could get this info are much
appreciated.

Thanks a lot in advance,
Olga Proskourina

Sender:  "GingerTrue, Tech Coordinator" (gtrue@trv.k12.ia.us)

I am the technology coordinator at a middle school in Iowa.  Our family
and consumer science teacher is doing an international e-mail exchange.
We are looking for people to send us traditional recipes from their
region and possibly a story to accompany their recipe.  Could you
forward this message to anyone that could help us out please.  I would
appreciate your help.  Thanks.
Ginger True, Technology Coordinator, Twin River Valley Middle School,
Gilmore City, Iowa

Sender:  kgrill@aaas.org (KGRILL)

 ***FELLOWSHIP OPPORTUNITY- Open Society Institute***

 The Open Society Institute-Budapest is calling for applications for a
 new Open Society Fellowship. Broadly speaking, an open society is
 characterized by a reliance on the rule of law, the existence of a
 democratically elected government, a diverse and vigorous civil
 society, and respect for minorities and minority opinions. The
 fellowship is intended to support research, writing or activism, and
 to encourage the development of program strategies for the Soros
 foundations network, in the following subject areas:

 1)  Pre-school, primary and secondary education
 2)  Higher education
 3)  Culture and cultural institutions
 4)  Law, human rights and public administration
 5)  Civil society and institution-building
 6)  Media
 7)  Roma and other minority rights issues
 8)  Economic reform and management education
 9)  Publishing
 10) Libraries and electronic communications
 11) Medicine and health
 12) Gender integration

 Fellowships in the above subject areas may be awarded for significant
 research and writing, the design and/or implementation of pilot
 projects, or other efforts to offer new information, insights and
 ideas on issues of importance to promoting an open society in the
 countries of the former Soviet Union, Central and Eastern Europe and
 Mongolia. Fellowships may be awarded for efforts focused on one
 country as well as those of a regional character.

 At the same time, the fellows will participate in the activities of
 working groups established by the Soros foundations network in the
 above subject areas. These working groups will meet several times
 during the course of the fellowship to help the Soros foundations
 network develop strategies for future network activities in the
 region. In addition, the fellows will be assigned mentors with whom
 they will be able to discuss their work. Mentors will come from
 leading members of the professional staff of the Soros foundations
 network and from the Central European University.

 *TERMS OF AWARD*

 Fellows will be provided with a one year stipend, expenses and needed
 communications equipment to work full-time on a project of their
 design in one of the above areas. The amount of the award will vary
 depending on standards in the fellow's country of residence and the
 budgetary needs of the proposal.

 As a rule, fellows will be based in their home countries;
 alternatively, fellows could spend all or part of the year in
 Budapest in order to work more closely with the Soros foundations
 network. Fellows who remain in their home countries will be expected
 to travel to Budapest and other parts of the region as needed to
 participate in the activities of the strategic working groups.

 *APPLICATION PROCEDURES*

 1. Age

 The Fellowship is open to persons, aged 35 and younger, as of
 June 1, 1998.

 2. Residency

 Applicants must be permanent residents of the following countries:
 Albania, Armenia, Azerbaijan, Belarus, Bosnia-Hercegovina, Bulgaria,
 Croatia, Czech Republic, Estonia, Hungary, Kazakhstan, Kyrgyzstan,
 Latvia, Lithuania, Macedonia, Moldova, Mongolia, Poland, Romania,
 Russia, Slovakia, Slovenia, Tajikistan, Turkmenistan, Ukraine,
 Yugoslavia.

 3. Language of Application

 All applications must be in English, and applicants must have
 sufficient command of the English language to participate actively in
 discussions in English with the expert committees and others in the
 Soros foundations network about their area of expertise. However, it
 is not necessary that the project proposed by the applicant be one in
 which English is the language used. Thus, an applicant may propose a
 research and writing project in Polish, as long as the applicant is
 readily able to discuss the project and related topics in English.

 4. Application Contents

 Applicants should send a proposal, of no more than 1500 words,
 outlining a project in one of the twelve areas. This proposal should
 briefly explain the project objective, procedures, time schedule,
 resources available (in particular, if other funding sources have
 been approached or provided) and resources needed (including a
 detailed budget if appropriate). If appropriate, the proposal should
 explain how the results of the project might be applied broadly to
 the region as a whole.

 In addition to this proposal, applicants should include a one or two
 page c.v. that describes relevant educational, employment or other
 experience, a transcript from the highest level of school completed,
 and two letters of reference. Every effort should be made to provide
 English translations of the transcript and letters of recommendation.
 All application materials should be sent to OSI in the same package,
 to the extent possible.

 Applications must be sent by regular mail. Three copies of all
 materials must be provided. The name of the applicant should appear
 in the upper right hand corner of every page included in the
 submission. All submissions should be single-sided and typed. Please
 do not use staples.

 Applicants should be sure to provide contact information applicable
 through the end of August, including email address and fax number
 where possible.

 5. Application Deadlines

 Completed applications must be received by June 1 in order to be
 considered. Finalists may be asked to travel to Budapest at OSI
 expense to be interviewed, some time during the week of June 26. It
 is expected that successful applicants will be notified by July 30.

 Applicants will be notified of receipt of their application, probably
 within two weeks by regular mail, fax or electronic mail.

 6. Application Address

 Completed applications should be sent to:

 Open Society Institute-Budapest,
 attention: Pamela Kilpadi,
 Oktober 6 Utca 12,
 H-1051 Budapest, Hungary.

 http://www.soros.org/osibpfel.html
 A distribution of: CentralAsia-L - Announcement List for Central
 Asian Studies

Sender:  Mary Ann Simard (simard@cnsvax.albany.edu)

Good day!

I recently received a letter from a Russian woman.
All facts indicate that we are related.  Unfortunately,
the only address I have for her was on the envelope,
and there was a post mark over her town (unreadable).

I'm guessing, but here's a possible address:

    Dr. Galina Gilevich
    84 Gogol Street, Apt. #15
    Kurgan, Krasnoyarsk Region
    Siberia, Russia

Any information (telephone number, etc.) would very
much be appreciated.  Thank you.

    Mary Ann Simard
    University at Albany
    Albany, NY   12222
    USA

    email address:  Simard@cnsvax.albany.edu

Sender:  Mike Thurman (mthurman@kiva.net)

Dear Friends and Partners,

I have recently constructed a web site that you might want to link to.
It is dedicated to environmental issues in Central Asia.  The site
contains a general introduction to environmental problems in the region,
an extensive page of Central Asian environmental web links, and my work
on economic and environmental history of Central Asia.  My articles and
other works available on the site are entitled "Modes of Organization in
Central Asian Irrigation in the Late 1920s and 1930s," "The 'Command
Administrative System' in Central Asian Cotton Farming: From
Collectivization and 'Cotton Independence' to Reform and 'Grain
Independence'," "Perspectives on Nomads, Desertification, and
Development in Central Asia," "The Aral Sea - Bibliography," and
"Working Out the Plan: The Role of Water Resources in the Five Year Plan
for 'Pakhtastan' (Short Classroom Silutaion)."  The main page of the
site is at the following URL:
( http://www.kiva.net/~mthurman/casia.html ).  I hope you enjoy it. Any
suggestions are most welcome.

Best regards,

Mike Thurman

Sender:  nisse2@118post.dk

Dear sir,

I found your site on the internet, and think it is an extremely good
idea. Do I understand it correct, can anyone join you, get an e-mail
account and be part of a discussion forum.

I would be very intersted if that is the case, since I have some
international exchange programs going on with different students in
Russia, some of them do not have access to a computer or should pay too
much money to get this facility.

I look forward to hear from you

Niels Nielsen
Ass. Prof.
Department of Biochemistry
Univ. Hospital
Denmark

Sender:  Andrey Khutorskoy (andreykh@school.unicon.msk.su)

Dear friends!

International Heuristic Olympiad Internet '98 is completed.  It took place
on 10-12 March, 1998.  The participants were 127 students from Russia, the
Ukraine, the USA (cities Moscow, Petersburg, Novosibirsk, Vladivostok,
Toliatty, Kaluga, Obninsk, Pyatigorsk, Biysk, Dubna, Miass, Kolpino,
Nauchny the Crimea, Tumenskiy of Krasnodar, Yaroslavl, Chernogolovka Moscow
Region; Minneapolis, MN, USA; Cincinnati, Ohio, USA).  ÷ The Olympiad÷
participants were organized in three age groups: junior 6-9 y.o., middle
10-14 y.o. and senior 15-16 y.o. The Olympiad has been developed by Distant
Education Center "Eidos" (A.Khutorskoy, Ph.D.) in association with
International Academy of Pedagogic (President B.Tebiev), technical support
of SK Trade (President A.Romanov).  President of Russian Academy of
Education N.Nikandrov has kindly agreed to be the Chairman of the Judge.

The best works of the participants are exhibited on Distant Education Center

"Eidos" Web-server (http://www.eidos.techno.ru).  You can also find here
different educational projects and distant courses and seminars to take
part in.

Coordinator of Distant Heuristic Olympiad:
Andrey V. Khutorskoy, Ph.D, Russia
E-mail: andreykh@school.unicon.msk.su

Sender:  civilsoc@solar.cini.utk.edu

The U.S.-Ukraine Foundation, a D.C.-based NGO, seeks a U.S. Communications
Manager for its USAID-funded U.S.-Ukraine Community Partnerships Project.
Strong English writing/editing and computer skills, especially desktop
publishing, required.  Experience in Ukraine or other NIS/East European
countries and Ukrainian language helpful.  Please send resume to
U.S.-Ukraine Foundation, 1511 K Street, NW, Suite 1100, Washington, D.C.
20005, Fax: 202 347 4267, email: usuf@usukraine.org.  No phone inquiries
please.

         *****   Grants & Jobs   *****   Grants & Jobs  *****

   This electronic news and information bulletin, sent free of charge to
   1,200 subscribers worldwide, is a service of Center for Civil Society
   International (CCSI).

   CCSI compiles a comprehensive listing of grants and jobs for Central
   Europe and Eurasia on the ANNOUNCEMENTS section at the CCSI Web site:

                http://www.friends-partners.org/~ccsi/