Digest for March 09, 1998

01-09 March 98  Sender:  ALBERTWJ@KBHR.COM
                Subject: from WJA

02-09 March 98  Sender:  bstewart@cybertron.com
                Subject: from Barbara

03-09 March 98  Sender:  grtrlove@aol.com
                Subject: from Bob

04-09 March 98  Sender:  rspinar@hotmail.com
                Subject: from Richard

05-09 March 98  Sender:  andorra@sochi.ru
                Subject: from Anzhelika

06-09 March 98  Sender:  tet@perm.raid.ru
                Subject: from Sergey

RECENT EMAIL . . .

01-09 March 98  Sender:  Judy Antipin Hartheimer (jhart@cynet.net)
                Subject: re: video project

02-09 March 98  Sender:  Steve Streeter (sstreet@netfxcorp.com)
                Subject: More St. Petersburg Help

03-09 March 98  Sender:  "UNYNLEVI" (nlevine@afs.org)
                Subject: Exchange Programs

04-09 March 98  Sender:  "Benjamin Sher"  (sher07@bellsouth.net )
                Subject:  NET: RFE/RL BROADCASTING FULL TIME (X-POST H-RUSSIA)

05-09 March 98  Sender:  gcole@solar.rtd.utk.edu
                Subject: $25,000 Award for Best Virtual Education Project
                         Recognizing Outstanding Online Education

06-09 March 98  Sender:  Paul Mohlman (mohlmanp@earthlink.net)
                Subject: satellites

07-09 March 98  Sender:  "gary clark" (garyclark@hotmail.com)
                Subject: SEEKERS

08-09 March 98  Sender:  "Jeff Spears" (speco@eagnet.com)
                Subject: Advertising

09-09 March 98  Sender:  Vovka16@aol.com
                Subject: Russian hockey

10-09 March 98  Sender:  "Galina A. Andrianova" (galina@eschool.chg.ru)
                Subject: Olymp-98

11-09 March 98  Sender:  "nikst" (nikst@glasnet.ru)
                Subject: All Regions of Russia by Pictures

12-09 March 98  Sender:  puji laksono (depe_laksono@hotmail.com)
                Subject: Looking for a friends

13-09 March 98  Sender:  "Andrey Ozharovskii" (zarov@host.cis.lead.org)
                Subject: Political Seminar and Election Observation in Moscow

Sender:  ALBERTWJ@KBHR.COM

I am a 28 year old American female.  I am interested in learning about
Russia as I plan to visit sometime in the next few years.  I would like a
Russian penpal (St.  Petersburg or Moscow areas)to help me get acquainted
with Russia so my trip will not be so scary.  I do not speak any Russian,
but would like to learn some.

Sender:  bstewart@cybertron.com

I began my Russian in the military at the Presidio of Monterey.  I was
there in 91 and 92.  Sadly I have let my language slip.  I am anxious to
regain my skills.  I would dearly love to have a penpal that can help me
relearn and practice.  You can e-mail me.

Sender:  grtrlove@aol.com

Hello,

I am very interested in learning Russian.  If you live in Virginia,USA and
can help me, I would really appreciate it!  If you know of sites other then
Travlang (I am using it) that has Russian language helps..please email.
Thanks to the many of you who have emailed me and the ongoing email penpal
conversations we have had.  Have a great day in Russia.  Remember, HE WHO
WALKS WITH INTEGRITY WALKS SECURELY!!!

Bye,

Bob

Sender:  rspinar@hotmail.com

ËŚ┬╠Ş ×ËĽË»╦╚!!...just rusified my computer and your pages were great for
testing thanks.

Sender:  andorra@sochi.ru

Hello!  Menja zovut Anzhela.  Mne 24 goda.  Prozhivaju v gorode Sochi.
Hochu perepisivatsja s drugom,podruzhkoj.  Zhdu pisem.  Moj E-Mail:
andorra@sochi.ru

Sender:  tet@perm.raid.ru

Privet iz Permi!  Eto pochti Sibir-r-r...  i zdes vse esche holodno.  Mne
28, uvlekayus literaturoy, avangardnoy mistikoy.  Sam pishu koe-chto.  Budu
rad znakomstvu!

Sender:  Judy Antipin Hartheimer (jhart@cynet.net)

Hello list members,
I am a journalist from Philadelphia,  Pennsylvania, on the east coast of
the United States, and I am also of Russian ancestry. For the past two
years I have been using the Internet to find living relatives in the
former Soviet Union. All contact with any family members was cut off
many years ago - grandparents on both sides (they all died many years
ago)  emigrated to the United States before the Russian Revolution.  I
have had some success in this search, and now have expanded this
personal project to include other Russian and American citizens who may
have family in those respective countries they have never met and have
no or little knowledge of.

This summer I expect to visit Russia at the invitation of a Moscow
resident who shares my family name (we probably will never track down
our exact connection, but we have been corresponding by email for a
year, and consider ourselves part of the same family). I originally  had
thought that I would write a book or major article on this project, but
have now decided to do a video also. I am applying to several funding
sources for grant funds to help with expenses.

During this trip I and my companion (also a video project participant)
will stay in Moscow for several days with our host, who will then travel
with us to the Irkutsk region of Siberia, near where it is said our
family name on my father's side originated. We expect to be in Russia
for at least three weeks. We would like to contact Russian residents who
may be in the situation of having family members  who emigrated to the
United States many years ago who would be willing to be interviewed and
videotaped.

This video documentary will examine the possibilities of reconnecting
family ties that have been too long severed by decades of geographic
separation and ideological  differences.

We feel this is an important project, and would welcome suggestions
from the Partners Project  and list members on how to pursue it. Also
any suggestions for funding sources outside the mainstream foundation
loop would be appreciated.

Yours,
Judy Antipin Hartheimer

Sender:  Steve Streeter (sstreet@netfxcorp.com)

Hello Friends....

I am trying to locate some good resturants in St. Petersburg. Does
anyone have some that they esspecially like and can tell me a bit about?
Also - what might I expect to pay in dollars for a nice resturant??

In particular, I am taking out a family (3) - and I want to find a nice
place --- but with out breaking the bank!

Any ideas????

Thanks one and all!!!

Steve Streeter

PS: My Russian lessons have begun......whew! Really tough...but
beautiful language!
Any tips on good "crash course" methods???????

Best!!!

Sender:  "UNYNLEVI" (nlevine@afs.org)

     Greetings!

     I tried to send this message to someone who posted a note on the
     Friends site last week, but it was returned to me for wrong address.
     Perhaps he'll see it here.

     Regards,
     Nancy

Author:  NLEVINE at AFSUS
Date:    2/26/98 12:00 PM

     Dear Eugene,

     I saw your note on Friends and Partners site. I work for AFS
     Intercultural Programs, a student exchange program for high school age
     students. We have been running exchange programs for 50 years with
     over 50 countries.

     If you know someone in Latvia who is interested in coming to the US,
     they should contact AFS Latvia in Riga. The address is:
     c/o Ministry of Education, Culture and Science
     2 Valnu Street, LV 1098
     Riga

     The phone is: 225-370  within Riga
     city code for Riga is 7, the code for Latvia is 371

     We also send US students to Latvia and other East European countries.
     If you know a US student who is interested or if you just want more
     information, you can call 1-800-AFS-INFO.

     You can look at our web page at www.afs.org

     Best Regards,
     Nancy Levine
     AFS Intercultural Programs