Digest for March 02, 1998

01-02 March 98  Sender:  fitz@key-net.net
                Subject: from Mary

                Subject: from Karolin Schmidt

                Subject: from Heike Schroeder

                Subject: from Millie

                Subject: from Peter Magurean III

                Subject: from Sergey Anisimov

                Subject: from Bob

                Subject: from Joe Falkenstein

                Subject: from FranÁois Picamoles Laval

                Subject: from David Watson

                Subject: from Nadia

                Subject: from Lesley Simpson

                Subject: from P.K.Varghese

                Subject: from Michelle Plihal

15-02 March 98  Sender:  mpodowitz@usa.net
                Subject: from Matthew Podowitz

RECENT EMAIL . . .

01-02 March 98  Sender:  john m swedberg (jswedberg@lr.net)
                Subject: Greatest web site

02-02 March 98  Sender:  rwoodard@ncal.net (Richard Woodard)
                Subject: Posting

03-02 March 98  Sender:  "Bethany L. Mancuso"
                         (mancuso@voiceinternational.org)
                Subject: New Funding Guide to Grantmakers Giving
                         in the CEE/NIS Region (X-POST from CIVILSOC)

04-02 March 98  Sender:  "Hercilla" (tita@alltel.net)
                Subject: Phone number of State Astrakhan University

05-02 March 98  Sender:  ledept@maik.rssi.ru (Guy Houk)
                Subject: Employment Opportunity in Moscow

06-02 March 98  Sender:  PFOX6056@aol.com
                Subject: Going to Vladivostock...

07-02 March 98  Sender:  "nikst" (nikst@glasnet.ru)
                Subject: Official RUSSIA Embraces Internet

08-02 March 98  Sender:  m.stul@csu-e.csuohio.edu
                Subject: letter

09-02 March 98  Sender:  Olga Miller (omiller@legend.co.uk)
                Subject: Arteola / Arteoma  /  Kropotkin

10-02 March 98  Sender:  YANKI PURSUN (puersuen@stud.uni-frankfurt.de)
                Subject: Ukrainian Visa

11-02 March 98  Sender:  Bob Broedel (broedel@ray.met.fsu.edu)
                Subject: Russian Science

12-02 March 98  Sender:  Bohdan Peter Rekshynskyj (Bohdan@TRYZUB.com)
                Subject: TryzubSite: The Ukrainian Weekly Preview

Sender:  fitz@key-net.net

Hello: I, too, find this site like a letter from home.  Once you have been
to Russia you don't forget it.  I am learning the Russian language as I
expect to go back this year but without someone to correct my pronunciation
I may create a whole new foreign language :>) Will be glad to correspond
with anyone wanting to learn English better or help me with Russian or just
want to talk.  Thanks for this great work you are doing.

Sender:  0383247365.0001@t-online.de

Hi. My name is Karolin. I' m 15 years old and I live in Germany.
I love all good misic. I can speck English and French.
If you are interested, please write me soon.
My adress:
Karolin Schmidt
Ernst - Thaelmann - Str. 22 A
18469   Velgast
Germany

Sender:  0383247365.0001@t-online.de

Hallo.  My name is Heike.  I' m 14 years old and I live in Germany.  I love
all good music.  I can speak English.  If you are interested, please write
me sonn.  My adress: Heike Schroeder Ernst-Thaelmann-Str.  22 A Germany
18469 Velgast

Sender:  milliecook@inetnow.net

My husband and I have 2 children we adopted from Sovetsk, Russia (near
Kaliningrad on the Baltic Sea).  Would love to hear from anyone from that
area.

Sender:  muscanto@comp.cz

Congratulations on your excellent and fascinating website.  You are doing
such important work, and I commend you and your whole organization for the
responsible and meaningful contributions you are making.

My interest is keen for both Russia and China.  I have been an amateur
"China Watcher" since the late 1950s.  For severl years in the Czech and
Slovak Republics I have acted as "trade commissioner" for Hong Kong as the
resident consultant for the Hong Kong Trade Development Council.  More
importantly today as a founding director of the Czech-Chinese Chamber of
Commerce we are doing our best to stimulate trade between the Chinese and
the Czechs.

I would be interested in hearing from anyone involved with trade or
cultural relations with Russia and China.  Many good wishes and
congratulations on your wonderful site.  Peter Magurean III

Sender:  anisimovs@grc.nia.nih.gov

Anybody from IBPM in Puschino remember XXX Winter School of PINP
(Petersburg Institute of Nuclear Phisics) in Repino, St.Petersburg region
in March of 1996?  Young scientists (genetics) from all the Russia, dances
overnight, lot of beverages and lot of lectures?  Remember it now?  I was
one of the Scwartz's Crazy Crew of Gipsy Kings Dancers.  Tomorrow, February
28, the XXXI Winter School of PINP will be opened.  I work in John Hopkins
in Baltimore now, but still miss Russian Schools of young scientists.
Unfortunately, nothing like that here.  Best wishes to all past and present
IBPM staff.  Sergey.

Sender:  grtrlove@aol.com

Hello from the State of Virginia-USA. I am looking for Moscow, Russia email
penpal.  I found this wonderful site by accident.

I am a Social Service Director for The Salvation Army .  We were host
family for a very sweet young student from Moscow.  Through her, we have
developed a love for Russia and a desire to go there some day.  She lives
on Shosseinaya Street.  It would be nice to find someone near her with
email access!

We a;so have a singing ministry and hope to sing in Moscow one day!  Our
webpage is at http://www.netministries.org/see/charmin/CM00942

If you would like to be a pen pal, please email me at: grtrlove@aol.com

Thanks,

Bob

Sender:  jrfalken@worldnet.att.net

Hello, I am of German desent and I am looking for lost relatives in Russia
one paticular is a Galina Keberle this would be her born name if you know
of this lady or any decendents of Ivan Keberle please contact me, at this
e-mail address .

I think this is a wonderful program,and would like to see it grow.

I am also looking for any Falkenstein family from the Schuck-Grasanovotka
-Sarotov area.

          Thank you
            Joe Falkenstein
            jrfalken@worldnet.att.net

Sender:  tonpic@bcn.servicom.es

TO MY NEW INTERNET FRIENDS

*** AMIGO MIO ***** MY  FRIEND *** ** MEINE FREUND *****  MON AMI ***

SI VIENES COMO AMIGO,
DE CORAZON SINCERO Y GENEROSO,
LAS MANOS LIMPIAS , HONRADAS,
EN BUSCA DE VERDAD, O DE UN TECHO.
SEA CUAL SEA TU PASADO, TU PAIS ,
EL COLOR DE TU PIEL. DE TUS OJOS,
TU RELIGION, TU IDEAL, TUS PENSAMIENTOS,
BIENVENIDO SEAS: AQUÕ TENDRAS TU CASA.

IF YOU HAVE COME HERE AS A FRIEND
WITH A SINCERE AND GENEROUS HEART,
YOUR HANDS UNSOILED AND HONEST,
SEARCHING FOR TRUTH OR A ROOF OVER YOUR HEAD,
WHICHEVER BE YOUR PAST, YOUR COUNTRY,
THE COLOUR OF YOUR SKIN, YOUR EYES,
YOUR RELIGION, YOUR IDEAL, YOUR MIND
YOU ARE WELCOME HERE AND AMONG FRIENDS.

KOMMST DU HIERHER ALS FREUND
DEINE HARTZ OFFEN UND FREI,
DIE HANDE REIN UND EHRLICH,
AUF DER SUCHE NACH WAHRHEIT ODER OBDACH,
VERGESSEN SIND DEINE VERGANGENHEIT,DEIN LAND,
DIE FARBE DEINER HAUT, DEINER AUGEN,
DEINE RELIGION, DEINE IDEAL, DEINE  SINN
HIER BIST DU WILLKOMMEN UND BEIN DEN DEINEN.

SI TU VIENS ICI EN AMI
AVEC UN COEUR SINC»RE ET GŠNŠREUX,
DES MAINS PROPRES ET HONN TES.
SI TU CHERCHES LA VŠRITŠ OU UN TOIT.
QUEL QUE SOIT TON PASSŠ,TON PAYS,
LA COULEUR DE TA PEAU,DE TES YEUX,
TA RELIGION,TON IDŠAL ET TA T TE.
SOIS LE BIENVENU, TU ES ICI CHEZ TOI.

FranÁois Picamoles Laval ñ Lí Amettla del Valles ( BCN ) SPAIN ñ Mayo 1976.
( Internet mailed, Saturday 28. 02. 1998 )

PD : I WOULD VERY MUCH APPRECIATE IF SOMEBODY WOULD LIKE TO GIVE ME A GOOD
RUSSIAN TANSLATION OF THE ABOVE TEXT. I THANK YOU IN ADVANCE.FRANK

Sender:  davidw@supernews.com

I am a fourteen year old boy from Canada.
I need people to email me for a computer project.
I am also interested in talk to people from forgien
places and I will be glad to email people back who
will take the time to email me.  We are studing
Russia in school so this page is a gold mine.
See ya'

Sender:  goodvin@home.com

Looking for information about Ph.D. History/Archaeology
programs in Russia. I would also like information about
teaching English in the Russian Universities. Beyond this,
I would love to have a nerdy Russian pen pal to work on
my language skills with and to trade stuff like newspapers,
recipies and laughs with. I am twenty-nine, living in San Diego
and well, too mischievous for my own good.

Sender:  lesley_simpson@cableinet.co.uk

Hi,

I've only just joined the internet and stumbled across your page.  It's
great.

I would really like to make a friend(male or female) in Russia.  I have
just started back at college studying History(rather late as I'm 36 years
old).

Have a great life

Lesley

Sender:  peekay@emirates.net.ae

I am a 42 year old Indian working in an International trading company in
Dubai, United Arab emirates.  Many Russians come to Dubai for shopping.  I
see that the women are very enterprising; bargaining hard, carrying large
lugggages from the shops to their hotel rooms.

Many salesmen have learnt Russian.I have been learning Russian for the past
8 months from a book Called"Russian for Business" and the accompanying
cassette.I must get new material to learn.  English/Russianmirror pages
have been helpful.I would like to find more such resources on the internet.
I would like friends to help me in this connection;If possible please write
English Russian Mirror letters.  How can send letters in Russian by E Mail?
Do I have to buy a Cyrillic Key Board?  Or is there another way?

Sender:  mplihal@gpu.srv.ualberta.ca

Privet!  I am a 23 year old university student at the University of Alberta
in Edmonton, Alberta, Canada.  I speak English, French, and a little bit of
Russian.  It anyone would like an email pal in Canada send me a message!

Sender:  mpodowitz@usa.net

Hello!

First, thank you and your supporters for maintaining this wonderful site.
I can not tell you what I would have given to have had a resource like this
when I first "started out" in the Soviet Union.

I spent a number of years (1989-1996, to be exact) in the former Soviet
Union as a consultant focusing on both business and technology issues for
not-for-profit and commercial companies.  I returned to the United States
in 1996 with a "Big 6" accounting and consulting firm and, unfortunately,
was unable to continue my involvement in the region for a few years.  I
have recently joined a smaller, more entrpreneurial consulting firm that is
encouraging me to seek new opportinities for relationships and short-term
engagements in Russia and the FSU.

A few points of interest in my background:

* I am an experienced "Big 6" management consultant with a focus on the
alignment of people, process and technology to achieve organizational
objectives

* I spent six and a half years in the former Soviet Union in a consulting,
management and business development capacity

* I am a Certified Information Systems Auditor with skills and experience
to ensure that all investment in information technology has a positive
impact on management's ability to run and control their organization

* I have an inherent focus on knowledge transfer and education as part of
the consulting process

* I speak fluent Russian and functional Ukrainian (and, of course, native
English)

My initial consulting experience in the FSU was for not-for-profit
organizations and, optimally, this is the market I would seek to serve
again.  (Not that I would turn down a commercial client or two...)  I can
offer a full range of services of potential interest to an established or
newly forming not-for-profit organization in the region:

* organizational/infrastructure development * process improvement *
business assurance * proposal development and evaluation * project
management * and much, much more!

While I am already at my limit of pro-bono work I can do, I do have some
leeway in my rates when consulting to not-for-profit organizations and
their projects.

I would be very interested in pursuing a discussion on how I may be able to
work with some of the not-for-profit organizations represented on this list
to further their objectives in the FSU. Any contacts or ideas would be
greatly appreciated.

If you would like to learn more about me and how I may be able to help your
organization, please contact me via e-mail on mpodowitz@usa.net

All the best,

Matthew Podowitz

PS -- I will be in Dniepropetrovsk, Ukraine in Mid-March on a volunteer
project.  Any not-for- profit or political contacts in the city would be
greatly appreciated.  Many thanks.

E-MAIL POSTINGS .  . .

Sender:  john m swedberg (jswedberg@lr.net)

On Saturday, 28 Feb, I'm taking off from Boston for Moscow, Novosibirsk,
and Tomsk, where I'll be at Tomsk Polytechnic University the next three
months teaching English to a wonderful bunch of students.  Whether I can
get access to a computer remains to be seen, so I may be out of touch with
F&P for awhile.

So before leaving I want to tell you how grateful I am for your site.
Through it I have found a correspondent in Novosibirsk, and she, her
family, and I have exchanged numerous messages.  There are more than 50 in
my "Bella" file just since Christmas.  With such a neat relationship
established, Bella and family are going to meet me when my plane lands in
Novosibirsk, show me around the town and Academic City, and Viktor and I
will have a chance to examine his classic camera collection.  As a retired
teacher of photography myself, this will be a real treat.  They will put me
on the bus to Tomsk - and "Friends and Partners" will have become more than
just a name for us.

Things like this are exactly what you folks established F&P for, I would
imagine.  You certainly have succeeded, and we all thank you for your
efforts.

Do svidaniya i spasibo bol'shoye...........................jswedberg@lr.net