Digest for 97-10-27

Digest for October 27, 1997

01-27 October 97  Netscape Information for International Users

RECENT GUESTBOOK ENTRIES . . .

01-27 October 97  Sender:  bgb01@.com.br
                  Subject: from Carolina

02-27 October 97  Sender:  edippold@warwick.net
                  Subject: from Eleanor Dippold

03-27 October 97  Sender:  musicalitee@rocketmail.com
                  Subject: from Teri

04-27 October 97  Sender:  cloud@freenet.bishkek.su
                  Subject: from Timophey

05-27 October 97  Sender:  jnmq99a@prodigy.com
                  Subject: from patrick

06-27 October 97  Sender:  Tikneeone@aol.com
                  Subject: from James J. Butler, Sr.

07-27 October 97  Sender:  m1gte@gte.net
                  Subject: from Jay Milner

08-27 October 97  Sender:  Amazonshk@AOL.com
                  Subject: from Melissa Havemann

09-27 October 97  Sender:  webmaster@russie.net
                  Subject: from Philippe Reboursier

10-27 October 97  Sender:  wlpatfbg@rocketmail.com
                  Subject: from Summer Adams

11-27 October 97  Sender:  ankrum@mcn.net
                  Subject: from Amanda

12-27 October 97  Sender:  kosbar83@hotmail.com
                  Subject: from Barbara

13-27 October 97  Sender:  yas@etel.ru
                  Subject: from eugenia

14-27 October 97  Sender:  kcoghill@venus.net
                  Subject: from Kettig Coghill

15-27 October 97  Sender:  Sill.Cybin@aol.com
                  Subject: from Larry Martin

RECENT EMAIL . . .

01-27 October 97  Sender:  "Luis Ruiz" (luisruiz@hotmail.com)
                  Subject: hello everyone!

02-27 October 97  Sender:  "Abv Business" (a_business@hotmail.com)
                  Subject: New book

03-27 October 97  Sender:  student (poctuk@hotmail.com)
                  Subject: Tobolsk-Omaha (medical exchange)

04-27 October 97  Sender:  Doug LaVerne (dlaverne@USIT.NET)
                  Subject: Russian History--June

05-27 October 97  Sender:  Bohdan Peter Rekshynskyj (Bohdan@TRYZUB.com)
                  Subject: TryzubSite: SUCHASNIST'

06-27 October 97  Sender:  Valerie Bruce (vbruce@intergate.bc.ca)
                  Subject: using the internet in Russia & the other fSU

07-27 October 97  Sender:  fsumedia@sovam.com
                  Subject: FSUMEDIA digest 838  (xpost from FSUMEDIA)

08-27 October 97  Sender:  skellogg@aaas.org (SKELLOGG)
                  Subject: SCIENTIST: In Support of Women Scientists...

09-27 October 97  Sender:  emueller@bruderhof.com
                  Subject: translation of Russian letters

10-27 October 97  Sender:  Project Harmony (pharmony@madriver.com)
                  Subject: KidSports! Project Harmony WebChat session

11-27 October 97  Sender:  Chris Kedzie (C.KEDZIE@fordfound.org)
                  Subject: RE: Grant info/U.S. study

12-27 October 97  Sender:  Lance Rom (rombear@rapidnet.com)
                  Subject: Russian Crafts and Artwork Available

13-27 October 97  Sender:  Lance Rom (rombear@rapidnet.com)
                  Subject: Russian CD-ROMs Available

14-27 October 97  Sender:  gcole@solar.cini.utk.edu
                  Subject: USIA--ATSPD--CUAP--Democratic Institution Building

15-27 October 97  Sender:  mvs3@po.CWRU.Edu (Maxim V. Soloviev)
                  Subject: Call Russia for $.62/min, Interstate $.10/min

16-27 October 97  Sender:  Bohdan Peter Rekshynskyj (Bohdan@TRYZUB.com)
                  Subject: The Ukrainian Weekly Preview October 26th

17-27 October 97  Sender:  Bohdan Peter Rekshynskyj (Bohdan@TRYZUB.com)
                  Subject: The Ukrainian Weekly Preview October 19th

*  Netscape Communicator Information for International Users

   Lots of information for international users is provided here including
   basic setup information and helpful tips for using Netscape Communicator
   4.0.  Searching the Netscape site with "Cyrillic AND Navigator" will bring
   up resources for older versions of this browser.

   Please see Multilingual Browsers and Related Software under Cyrillic Text
   or directly at URL:

   http://search.netscape.com/eng/intl/

Sender:  bgb01@.com.br

Hello everybody! My name is Carolina and I'm from Rio de Janeiro, Brazil!
I'm waiting for you to e-mail me anytime you want to. It is really nice we
can make friend on the Internet, so I'll be waiting to meet you and
correspond with you. Bye bye and I hope I'll hear from you!

Sender:  edippold@warwick.net

Hello everyone--- I was lucky enough to go to Barnaul, Siberia with some of
the most wonderful people in the world.  It was a truly wonderful life
experience and I will never forget the people I met.   I am now preparing
for a visit from a teacher from Smolensk -- she will be here in 9 days --
hooray I can't wait

Sender:  musicalitee@rocketmail.com

Hello y'all,
I am from the great state of Texas.  I have just recently been introduced
to the wonders of the computer. I am married have a wonderful husband and
two beautiful boys. I am a student at the University of Houston.  I love to
write to people and make new friends.

When I was in highschool I was an international pen pal and wrote to people
in Poland and Germany.  No I do not speak a language other than English but
am trying to learn italian, I am a music major and that is crutial to my
studies.
I think the Russian language is quite intreging and would love to make friends
internationally.

Hope to hear from anyone soon.
Teri

Sender:  cloud@freenet.bishkek.su

Hallo,All!!! How are things? Hope good.
I'd love to find new friends all over the world
I'm 19. I like to listen to music, read, write,
play guitar and lots more...
Do contact me in no time.
I'm waiting for you.
                              Timophey.

Sender:  jnmq99a@prodigy.com

Would like to hear from anyone who enjoys Russian literature, poetry,
history, music, and Russian culture in general.

Sender:  Tikneeone@aol.com

Interesting, I was not aware of this web site until the Lyros game brought
me in this direction, my son visited Russia in 94 as an exchange student.
The experience was unbelieveable for him, and an eye openner as well. He is
also enjoying the information in the pages of this site.

Sender:  m1gte@gte.net

17yr.  186cm.  athletic boy will vsit Vladivostok July 98 Email
 write P.O.Box90085, Honolulu, Hawaii, 96835-0085 U.S.A.  I
speak Japanese English, Hawaian, and a little Russian.  I would like to
bring small tours to Vladivostok from Japan in a few years.

Sender:  Amazonshk@AOL.com

I am 26, I live in America and i am fancinated by Russia. I am adopted so I
don't really know my background but it dosn't bother me much anymore. My
boyfriend is part Turkish and (forgive my misspelling) Ukrenian. I like
the Czar family. I have a Russian-English dictionary but I need to study
still. I think that it is great that the cold war is finally over, because
now we can talk, visit each others countries, and not have to worry about
kgb or cia! Yahoo!

Sender:  webmaster@russie.net

Thanks a lot for your Web site. Please visit our new french site about Russia:
www.russie.net
Only in Fench and in some days also in Russian.

Sender:  wlpatfbg@rocketmail.com

I am a 17 year old female. I am VERY interested with Russia, the language
and history. I would give anything if someone from Russia would write to
me. I hope to major in International Business Affairs and live in Russia. I
love to find out things about Tsar NicholasII and his family. I want to
visit Russia before I go to college. I want to learn tp speak Russian, but
where I am from(USA:TEXAS) there are no opportunities open to me.
I would apprecaite anyone taking their time and being my friend. This is
my life long dream and wish, to be a part of Russia. If you live in any
part of Russia and want a friend,i will be indebted to you for life. I hope
to hear from someone SOON! Thanks-Summer

Sender:  ankrum@mcn.net

Hi I'm a 12 y.o.  from America.  I would like Pen Pals from all over the
world!!  If you want to be a pen pal with me e-mail me Thanks for you time
Amanda

Sender:  kosbar83@hotmail.com

I am a 14 ear old girl from Russia.  I want to have friends about my age
write me!!!!

Sender:  yas@etel.ru

Hello!  I am a nice Russian lady.  I would like to have a pen-friend or
friend.  I would like to know more about other countries.

SEND ME A LETTER ,PLEASE!
Thank you !

Sender:  kcoghill@venus.net

I teach a 7th grade geography class and several of my studetns have
expressed an interest in obtaining a penpal their same age in Russia.  If
anyone of that age group is willing to be a penpal to these Midwestern,
rural area youngsters contact me at my email address.  Thanks.

Sender:  Sill.Cybin@aol.com

Hello my Russian friends that speak and write Engish. I am a 45 year old
white man from Atlanta Georgia USA that finds it quite exciting to be able
to communicate with people of your culture after so many years of distrust
and fear. I am extending a warm and gracious greeting to all of you. If
anyone would like to communicate with me and discuss a subject I would find
it most enjoyable. Have a nice day and peace be with you my brothers and
sisters.

Sender:  "Luis Ruiz" (luisruiz@hotmail.com)

Hi everyone.  I'm from Mexico and I writing because I'd like to have a
Russian friend.  I'm 20 years old and I'd like to meet a Russian young
girls that wants to talk with me.  That's all and I will be waiting the
response.

Sender:  "Abv Business" (a_business@hotmail.com)

Attention! New book about Russia and russian resources Internet.
You can read this (electronic version).  Address:http://www.chat.ru/~bp.
Thank you!

Sender:  student (poctuk@hotmail.com)

We kindly invate you to visit our page
http://www.top.net/poctuk/SiberianExchange.htm

Sender:  Doug LaVerne (dlaverne@USIT.NET)

Though it has been four months since June, readers could well be
interested in the 6/22 message I sent to a friend in Saratov (CAPATOB,
capitalized and Latinized) Russia and the reply I got.  Sergey, the friend
or acquaintance, was my houseguest for two weeks in April-May of 1996 on
USIA's Business for Russia program.

"June 22, 1997
Afternoon
Oak Ridge, TN, USA

"Mr. Sergey Sokolov
Saratov (CAPATOB), Russia

"I feel obliged, before June 22d slips away over here, to write to you
briefly if only to commemorate the anniversary, the 46th anniversary, of
Hitler's invasion of the Soviet Union (and Russia).  If I were to make it
to Saratov or other part of Russia, I would want a picture of my own of
the war memorial there.  For nearly three years, the Soviets and Russians
bore ... the brunt of the Nazi war machine.  Millions died.  I
appreciate your leaving me a postcard picture of the Saratov memorial last
year.

"Beyond what I've already said, I won't go into great detail.  You and I
were born a few years after what has been the most terrible war in human
history.  May we never have another like it.  One wonders what the newest
generation, the '20-somethings' in both countries, know or think about
such history.  Thank heavens Russia was added to the G7 nations' summit
this week.

"A Web site anyone in either Russia or the United States could be
interested in is 'Friends and Partners,' a Russia - United States exchange
involving thousands in each country...."

(Much "Friends" background here from the August 2, 1994 Knoxville News
Sentinel newspaper is deleted, as readers have had the opportunity to read
it).

"Best regards,
Doug LaVerne, Oak Ridge, Tennessee, USA
USIA 'Business for Russia' program, Spring 1996"

-------
"[Doug,]
How are you?

"Thank you for your last message of 22.06.97.  I am grateful for your
sincere words and thoughts on this day unforgettable for each Russian
person.

"I am optimistic for my future and I am happy that this bitter period in
the history not only of Russia but all people of Earth is in the past
already.

"At last it seems that cold war period completely finished thanks to which
we are not separated any longer by the will of foolish and disohnest
politicians; and Earth people can feel themselves inhabitants of one house.
Only strong contacts between ordinary people, common business and life can
protect us from next senseless polititians.

"I am happy I had a chance to visit TN and Oak Ridge, the place inaccesible
only 5 years ago for Russian citizens.

"Now even in USA they know about Saratov closed till 1993.

"I am sorry for interruption of our correspondence.  I am as before
overstrained with business caused by preparation to participation in a
number of exhibitions, work with buyers and preparation of some scientific
programs.

"Thank you for information about success of Greg Cole. Greg
is very active and keen guy.  The work which he has fulfilled
is very valuable for us and for future. It is his way to make
the real history.

Regards,
Sergey"

Sender:  Bohdan Peter Rekshynskyj (Bohdan@TRYZUB.com)

Greetings.

Suchasnist'

The Foremost Contemporary Journal of Literary Ukraine.

"Yet one journal, Suchanist' (The Contemporary Scene), publishes new novels
which are studied and debated by everyone who reads Ukrainian.  Under other
circumstances these works might become bestsellers, though at the moment
they rarely appear as separate books..."

Solomea Pavlychko - Facing Freedom: The New Ukrainian Literature

translated by Askold Melnyczuk

"From Three Worlds -- New Writing From Ukraine"

Please check http://www.tryzub.com/Suchasnist for information and this month's
featured article (in Ukrainian).

Please direct all web-related questions to webmaster@tryzub.com

Sender:  Valerie Bruce (vbruce@intergate.bc.ca)
Subject: using the internet in Russia & the other new former Soviet

Hello to all those people using the internet from this region of the world,
especially.

I'm in the beginning stages of doing a graduate degree on distance
education, and I'm interested to know about internet useage in your part of
the world.  In particular,

- how widespread is access to the internet?  I assume that most people do
not have computers in their homes.  Is this correct?  What about the
schools?  Do most schools have computer labs and/or computers in every
classroom?  Are most of these computers connected to the internet?

- is it your governments' policy to connect students/classrooms to the
internet in the near future?

- do people hear about the internet in the media there - in newspapers, in
magazines, on television, and on the radio?

- how is it that you have access to the internet?

I would appreciate any information you could give me.

Valerie Bruce
Canada

Sender:  fsumedia@sovam.com

The following appeared in the IEWS Regional Report of Oct. 23

NUMBER OF RUSSIAN MEDIA ON INTERNET GROWS

by Alex Levinsky, Bryanskoe vremya

YEKATERINBURG -- The National Institute of the Press sponsored the fourth
annual conference "New Media for A New World" in Yekaterinburg last week.
The meeting brought together approximately eighty journalists from printed
newspapers and magazines that have posted electronic versions on the
Internet.

When the first conference was held in 1994 at the Ostankino TV studios
in Moscow, one could count the number of electronic newspapers in Russia on
the fingers of one hand. That conference astonished participants with ideas
of communicating via the Internet, searching for sources of information
electronically, and producing home pages. American colleagues seemed to be
computer wizards who could "move" their Russian colleagues to distant sites
just by clicking on a mouse.

This time, the American co-chairman of the conference, Executive
Director of the Center for Civil Society International (Seattle, WA) Holt
Ruffin stressed the amazing pace with which Russian printed media have
developed their home pages on the Internet. There were about two hundred
Russian Web newspapers and magazines from across the country on the list
disseminated among the participants.

At the time of the first conference, the Web-version of the Ural's
largest regional newspaper Uralskii Rabochii (http://ur.etel.ru/) didn't
exist. Now the paper and the head of its computer department, Alexander
Kenin, hosted the conference at the new Internet lab of the Urals
university with support from USAID and the Soros Open Society Institute.
Uralskii Rabochii, like many other Russian papers, developed its Web
version on its own, investing in expensive equipment to fill the market
niche before it becomes profitable and attracts more competitors.

For three days Russians and Americans discussed the fates of the
printed and Web papers debating whether they are complementary or will
compete against each other. Russian home pages still lack advertising and
advice from American marketing experts was in great demand.

Each year the conference becomes more practical and this time
journalists studied HTML -- the hypertext language used to produce home
pages. Until now, this knowledge had been the privilege of computer
technicians. From now on, however, the journalists will enjoy new
opportunities. The Internet eliminates the divide between provincial and
metropolitan colleagues and allows the two groups to combine forces to make
investigative reporting richer and deeper.

The conference presented Award of Excellence to: Molodost' Sibiri
(http://www.sicnit.ru/ii/molsib/) and Novaya Sibir' (http:
//plato.sr.unh.edu/siberia/) in Novosibirsk; Kurer RAN i Vysshei Skoly
(Report of the Russian Academy of Sciences and Higher School) in Moscow,
Bryanskoe Vremya (http://www.btime.bryansk.ru/) in Bryansk; the Vladivostok
News (http://vlad.tribnet.com/), and others.

Sender:  skellogg@aaas.org (SKELLOGG)

WOMEN'S LEADERSHIP PROGRAM

The International Women in Science and Engineering (IWISE) Summer
Leadership Program will bring four women scientists from developing
or transitional countries to the United States from 15 June to 15
August 1998.

The goal of the program is to promote the professional advancement of
international women scientists from developing and transitional
countries through:

1.  Support of their research
2.  Leadership training
3.  Technical assistance for projects to be conducted in their home
    countries

The scientists selected for the program will travel to the United
States to work with a scientist or engineer at Iowa State University
or the University of Iowa on research projects of mutual interest.
During their tenure in the program, these women will also attend a
series of leadership seminars and workshops on topics such as grant
writing, and they will develop grant proposals to support their
research when they return home. IWISE will support travel expenses
from participants' home countries and living expenses in the United
States.

ELIGIBILITY

Applicants must hold a Ph.D. (or equivalent) in a biological,
physical, mathematical, or engineering science and possess good oral
and written communication skills in the English language. They should
also have a sustained research record and be committed to conducting
a follow-on project designed to improve the educational and social
status of women and girls.

Special consideration will be given to applicants interested in
developing projects to improve living conditions for women in their
home country. IWISE does not support work toward advanced degrees.

HOW TO APPLY

Applications to the Summer Leadership Program consist of the
applicant's name, title or position, organization, complete mailing
address, country issuing passport, home and office telephone numbers,
fax number, and e-mail address, along with a resume, a list of the
applicant's publications, and answers to the following questions:

1.  What areas in science and engineering are of particular interest
to you and why?

2.  Briefly describe the scientific work that you would like to
conduct in Iowa this summer. This may include acquiring expertise and
techniques in a related scientific field. If you wish to work with a
particular individual, please include his or her name.

3.  What are the most important problems facing women scientists in
your country?

4.  What activities using science can help women and girls in your
country?

5.  How will you use your expertise as a scientist to benefit women
pursuing scientific careers in your country?

Completed applications should be sent to arrive by 31 December 1997
to Dr. Mary Ann Evans at the address below.

CONTACT INFORMATION

Completed applications, as well as questions concerning this or other
IWISE programs, should be addressed to Dr. Mary Ann Evans,
Coordinator, International Women in Science and Engineering, 210 Lab
of Mechanics, Iowa State University, Ames IA 50011-2131, USA; Tel:
+1-515-294-5883; Fax: +1-515-294-8627; E-mail: iwise@iastate.edu.

Sender:  emueller@bruderhof.com

Dear Friends and Partners far and near!

Let me say a special "thank you" again to listmembers Julia Podkolzina,
Mark Beyrau and Michelle Guzicki for faithfully translating many letters we
are receiving from Russia!  Julia just changed her job and doesn't have
access to a faxmachine anymore, and Mark and Michelle are both busy people,
soo--we are looking for volunteers again!

A little bit about my background: I am 29 years old and grew up in East
Germany.  Seven years ago I joined the Bruderhof, a Christian community.
We live and work together on eight communities, each numbering about 200 to
350 people, in England and the US.  (If anyone is interested to hear more
about our communal life, please drop me a note.) We also run a publishing
house where we publish a wide variety of books on a practical Christian
life in English, German--and recently in Russian.  (If anybody is
interested in a free catalog, let me know.) Through our books we are coming
into contact with many people in Russia, Belarus and the Ukraine, who are
seeking for a purpose in life.  We--and our volunteers--are not keeping up
with translating all these letters into English in order to be able to
answer them.  So here is my request: If anybody would enjoy translating
some letters for us from Russian into English, please let me know!

Bolshoe spasibo! Looking forward to hear from you,

Eckhard

Eckhard Mueller			Tel. (412) 329-1100
The Plough Publishing House	Fax (412) 329-0914
Spring Valley Bruderhof		E-mail: EMueller@bruderhof.com
Farmington, PA 15437, USA		Website: http://www.bruderhof.org

Sender:  Project Harmony (pharmony@madriver.com)

KidSports! Project Harmony WebChat session

Why?

In 1998 Moscow, the capital of Russia, will host International Youth
Olympics. It will be a great sports & cultural event. You can visit Moscow
Youth Olympics Web-site http://www.youth.olympic.ru/

Project Harmony invite students from all around the world to take part in
+KidSport! WebChat session. You can speak in real-time via Internet with
Moscow students, ask them your questions about kids' sports activities,
sports historical events, famous sportsmen and anything else to do with
sports in Moscow.

When & Where?

KidSport! WebChat session will take place on Wednesday, November 5th from 5
PM -7 PM Moscow time (10 am- 12 noon Eastern time) in Project Harmony
Internet WebChat room.

Who will answer the questions?

A group of Moscow students from 13 to15 years old, who are interested in
talking about their city, sports and getting to know teenagers from other
countries.

How can I take part?

You must be on-line on place on Wednesday, November 5th 5 PM-7 PM (Moscow
time), visiting PH WebChat room at
http://www.friends-partners.org/~harmony/chat/chat.html

Do I have a chance to take part in +KidSport!; WebChat session if I dont
have on-line Internet access?

Of course, yes! You can e-mail your questions to young Moscovites via
Project Harmony Moscow office e-mail address: islp@online.ru
And you will get the answers from Moscow students on Wednesday, November
5th by e-mail.

The most interesting questions authors will be awarded by Project Harmony
in November 1997.

See you on-line!

Sincerely,
Colleen Halley, Yaroslav Bikhovsky

Internet School Linkage Program
Project Harmony

Internet://www.friends-partners.org/~harmony/

Sender:  Chris Kedzie (C.KEDZIE@fordfound.org)

Having just returned from three weeks away from the office, I learned
that an email systems snafu disrupted our communications while I was away
and most messages that I sent at the beginning of October before
departing were not received.  If you already have received the following
message, please disregard, but if not, I apologize for the delay and any
inconvenience that it may have caused.  Thanks for your patience and
understanding.

 - Chris