01-27 August 97  Andrey Sebrant's Moscow Life

RECENT GUESTBOOK ENTRIES . . .

01-27 August 97  Sender:  tata125@aol.com
                 Subject: from Tanya & Arkadiy

02-27 August 97  Sender:  97Harley@sprintmail.com
                 Subject: from Tom

03-27 August 97  Sender:  susanpalmer@northwesternmutual.com
                 Subject: Russian boots

04-27 August 97  Sender:  HOME.PAGE.http;www.sonnet.co.uk/amity;;
                 Subject: from AMITY INTERNATIONAL

05-27 August 97  Sender:  Go2excess@aol.com
                 Subject: Russian Family

06-27 August 97  Sender:  Cyndy626@aol.com
                 Subject: from Cyndy

07-27 August 97  Sender:  john@medcom.ru
                 Subject: from Irina Katz

RECENT EMAIL . . .

01-27 August 97  Sender:  Greg Cole (gcole@solar.cini.utk.edu)
                 Subject: Moscow Life page update

02-27 August 97  Sender:  bimasena@palembang.wasantara.net.id
                 Subject: Russian Version for My Homepage

03-27 August 97  Sender:  asaucedo@diq00 (Jose Antonio Saucedo Cervantes)
                 Subject: Help on installing cyrillcs on SUN

04-27 August 97  Sender:  Natalia Uglava (nsks689@glas.apc.org)
                 Subject: John Grisham

05-27 August 97  Sender:  "Jamshed P. Temirov" (jama@samuni.silk.org)
                 Subject: Welcome to Central Asia!

06-27 August 97  Sender:  sbarron@laurie.net (Steve Barron)
                 Subject: archaeology

07-27 August 97  Sender:  Celeste Walsen (tintin@halcyon.com)
                 Subject: nonimmigrant visa

08-27 August 97  Sender:  "Igor V. Mineyev" (mineyev@math.utah.edu)
                 Subject: (x-post INFO-RUSS)

09-27 August 97  Sender:  info@miksike.ee (Mihkel Pilv)
                 Subject: Greetings from Estonia

10-27 August 97  Sender:  American Academy for Russian Martial Art and
                          Combat Skill
                 Subject: Russian Martial Art

11-27 August 97  Sender:  Bohdan Peter Rekshynskyj (Bohdan@TRYZUB.com)
                 Subject: UkThe Ukrainian Weekly Preview August 17th, 1997

12-27 August 97  Sender:  Sushma Palmer (SPalmer.CECHE.DC@worldnet.att.net)
                 Subject: Health Promotion Bulletin

* Andrey Sebrant's Moscow Life

  Please see the Moscow Life page at:

  http://www.friends-partners.org/oldfriends/asebrant/life/index.html

  It has been updated and two wonderful July stories have been posted.
  You may find them following the link to the list of 1997 stories and
  then selecting July items, or jump directly to

  http://www.friends-partners.org/oldfriends/asebrant/life/1997/july4_97.html

  -in order to view how July Fourth is celebrated in Moscow, and to

http://www.friends-partners.org/oldfriends/asebrant/life/1997/jul97_dacha.html

  - to read the follow-up on one of Andrey's very first stories,
  telling about  dacha and what it means for a Russian. You are invited to
  visit the dacha again, two years after the first visit...

Sender:  tata125@aol.com

Hi everybody.  We are married couple (33/34).  We live in Chicago now and
looking for friends who came to Chicago from Moscow.  We like watching
movies, playing cards and other things.  We studied in Moscow Tool
Institute (STANKIN) .  If you are about same age and interests,please write
us.

Sender:  97Harley@sprintmail.com

Hello All,

I have a Russian friend who lives in Chelyabinsk.  I hope to visit her in a
few months.  The visit will probably be in Northeast Florida, USA, where I
live.

Therefore I am trying to find a Russian Club or church in this area or in
Southeast Georgia, USA.  Although she speaks English (but I don't speak
Russian) it would be nice to have someone in this area who could meet with
us so that she doesn't get homesick.  I have looked in the telephone
directory for Russian churches or clubs in Jacksonville, but could not find
any.

Can anyone help us?

Thank you,

Tom

Sender:  susanpalmer@northwesternmutual.com

Hi -- I'm a member of a Russian dance group called Kavkaz. We are
located in Milwaukee, Wisconsin.

We are desperately trying to locate leather Russian boots, either black
or red.

Some members managed to get boots through a Polish dance group, whose
members occasionally travel to Poland and bring a few assorted sizes of
boots back.

Do you have ANY idea where we can find boots or who we can contact
regarding this?

Appreciate any help you can give me.

By the way, you did a very nice job on your site!

Sender:  HOME.PAGE.http;www.sonnet.co.uk/amity

Ours is a penpal club with members of both sexes all ge groups in 60
countries.  We provide full addresses and telephone number of penpals and
you can choose whom you like to contact for friendship, hobby exchanges,
marriage, commercial contacts.  Ours is a nonprofit organisation and anyone
can join with us.  For full details please see our home page given above.
You will surely be satisfied.  Thank you.  ZARINA BEGAM, DIRECTOR, AMITY
INTERNATIONAL, ABIDNAGAR, VISAKHPATNAM-530016, INDIA.  please write to us a
letter informing your name, address, hobbies, age, telphone number etc.

Sender:  Go2excess@aol.com

Hello, I'm searching for a web site concerning the typical Russian Family.
I'm in a global community class at my local University and my professor has
us searching for web sites pertaining to certain countries. We were given
five topics that we had to find sites on and the only one I can't find is the
Russian Family. The information that the site should have is: What is the
typical family? Is it a nuclear family or an extended family etc... If you
know of a site like this please E-mail me the address!
Thank you, in advance, for any assistance.

Sender:  Cyndy626@aol.com

Hello...I am writing to everyone from Massachusetts (in America).  I
enjoyed all the messages that others have sent with the exception of those
not in English and I could not understand a word !    :-)

I would like to find internet friends that are severely hard of hearing
and/or deaf.  I know the  Amercian sign language but I do not depend on it
to communicate.

It would be interesting to compare our experiences with our hearing loss
during our growing up years as well as adult years.  Of course if there are
any deaf or hard of hearing children or teenagers, I'd love to hear from
you too..as age is no barrier !

Hope to hear from someone somewhere in this big world soon.

Cyndy

Sender:  john@medcom.ru

Hello people all over the world!

This page is really a wonderful thing. It gave me the opportunity to find a
lof of friends from different parts of the Earth. So I want to say thanks
for creators, they made a thing really important for people. Hope to get
more friends! I'm a 18 y.o. Russian girl, who studies in the Urals
University and lives in Ekaterinburg. I like to talk to people, making
friends is my hobby. I'm interested in economics (I study it), philosophy,
I like to travel. I'm waiting for a letter from you!

Be happy, people!

Sender:  Andrey Sebrant asebrant@glasnet.ru

This July there are two stories on Moscow Life page... Staying in
Moscow all summer improves the content and regularity of the page
;-)

Andrey - asebrant@glasnet.ru

Sender:  bimasena@palembang.wasantara.net.id

Greetings !

Could somebody write my homepage in Russian version ?
Is there any free course site(s) to which I may learn Russian language ?

Regards,
Dayan
Palembang-Indonesia

Sender:  asaucedo@diq00 (Jose Antonio Saucedo Cervantes)

I've got the cyrsun.tar.gz file which contains cyrillic fonts for SUN
work-station.  I still can't install these fonts, does anybody overthere
can help me?.

Great list, isn't it?

Sender:  Natalia Uglava (nsks689@glas.apc.org)

Dear friends,

Thanks to everybody who answered on my message about John Grisham. I
couldn't thank you all earlier, because of some problems with my CPU.

Thanks again,

PEACE,
Ilya.

Sender:  "Jamshed P. Temirov" (jama@samuni.silk.org)

Hi everybody!

My name is Jamshed. I'm from the ancient and beautiful Samarkand - the
pearl of Middle Asia. To everyone who wants to vizit to Samarkand we
always say Welcome! I can help to organize your trip. May be you need for
guest visa, or you want to know more information about Samarkand or other
cities or something else, just treat me.

Sincerely yours,

Jamshed P.Temirov

703008, 24, A.Hamraev
Samarkand, Uzbekistan

Tel: 007 3622 33-68-41
Fax: 007 3622 33-34-87
e-mail: jama@samuni.silk.org

Sender:  sbarron@laurie.net (Steve Barron)

August 17, 1997

I am involved in an archaeology project on the North American continent.  I
am in need of remote sensing data that would help find a particular target.
While the EROS Data Center at Sioux Falls has available a tremendous amount
of remote sensing data, the data I need are either nonexistent or possibly
classified.  Could you suggest a Russian facility(s) that might be able to
advise on commercially available remote sensing data with subject content
involving the midwestern United States?

Thanks,
sbarron@laurie.net

Sender:  Celeste Walsen (tintin@halcyon.com)

We are in need of suggestions about how to abtain a nonimmigrant visa for a
Russian teenager in order to allow him to study in the US for a year. We
have invited a student from St. Petersburg to live with us for this school
year and attend an intensive English program at our local community
college. His request for a US visa has been denied on the grounds that he
cannot show sufficient permanent ties to his native country. If anyone has
advice on how to deal with this problem, we would welcome email at
tintin@halcyon.com.

Mark and Celeste Walsen

Sender:  "Igor V. Mineyev" (mineyev@math.utah.edu)

Dear friends,

I'm going to Russia after staying in the USA for a while,
so I have some questions:

1. What is the legal amount of cash I can bring with me?
How much can I take on the way back?

2. What is the best way to trasfer money from Russia to an American bank?

3. Is there any sourse on Internet with updated information of
(so often changing) Russian custom regulations, like the ones above?

Thank you.

Igor Mineyev

Sender:  info@miksike.ee (Mihkel Pilv)

Do you know somebody who is working on elementary schools level?
Would be glad to communicate and make friends with people having similar
interests.

You are welcomed to read about us web based study program MIKSIKE at:
http://www.why-n-not.com
If your browser does not support Java script, then you may  wish to
start at:
http://www.why-n-not.com/study.htm

Shorter version at:
http://www.bestpraceduc.org/TechnologyWorkshop/MikhelPilv.shtml

All the sunshine,

--
Mihkel Pilv
MIKSIKE (A Why`n`Not Education)

Sender:  American Academy for Russian Martial Art and Combat Skill

Dear Friends,

We would like to request your assistance.  Attached is information
concerning the introduction of Russian and Ancient Slavic martial
traditions to the Americas.  We are a organization dedicated to the
propagation of Russian culture through education in Russian Martial
Art.  We are attempting to communicate as best we can, and would
appreciate your assitance.

We hope that this is acceptible. Please feel free to visit our website
to evaluate us.

Vsego Dobrogo,
Benjamin Brackbill, Development Staff Chairman
American Academy for Russian Martial Art and Combat Skill
International and All-Russian Federation of Russian Martial Art -
American Annex
The North American Premier Seminar on ‘The System’ of Russian Martial
Art and Spetsnaz Combat Skill - ROSS
NEVER BEFORE SEEN IN NORTH AMERICA
RUSSIAN MARTIAL ART
The ROSS Training System

1. Taught to Russian Spetsnaz SpecOps units of the Ministry of Internal
Affairs, Ministry of Defense and protective services, the Russian Marine

troops of Sevastopol and Vladivostok, and Minsk’s ‘Alpha’ units in
Byelorussia, the frontier troops of Lithuania and many more elite combat

subdivisions of the Russian special forces

2. Historical development of ancient martial traditions of the peoples
of ‘Rus’ collected from the study of Russian folk dances, Slavic
folklore and Natural Laws of inter-disciplinary Bio-mechanics,
Kinesiology, and Psycho-Physiology

3. Russian martial movement patterns, sequences of preparatory exercise,

activate innate abilities and reflexes, through genetic-instinctive
bio-mechanics through immersion of the human organisms in extreme
situations of bio-energetic arousal

SEMINAR INFORMATION
This Debut Seminar will be held in Bisbee, Arizona on Sunday, September
28th from 1-6 p.m. Fee for seminar is US$40 pre-registration and US$65
at the event.  Non- pre-reg. admittance cannot be guaranteed, due to the

limitation on permitted attendance.

North American  Russian martial art premier Debut Seminar

Officially endorsed and sanctioned by the International and All-Russian
Federation of Russian Martial Art

American Academy for Russian Martial Art and Combat Skill, Inc.
PO Box 501388 Atlanta, GA  31150
Georgian Headquarters: 770-804-9315
Nikolay Travkin, President
www.redrose.net/amerross
amerross@redrose.net
Pennsylvanian Headquarters: 717-581-0618
ARIZONA CONTACT:  Matthew Shane
520-432-9175
RUSSIAN MARTIAL ART
SPETSNAZ COMBAT SKILL
Russian-Style Hand-to-Hand Combat

 RUSSIAN MARTIAL ART "THE SYSTEM" ROSS

"Russian Martial Art is an invisible weapon, which is forbidden to be
revealed as long as it is not being used, and never to be taken away as
long as we still live."
Alexander Ivanovich Retuinskih, President

ROSS: "All-Russian Native Self-protection System" was developed by
Commander Alexander Ivanovich Retuinskih, President of the International

and All-Russian Federation of Russian Martial Art, President of the
International Combat Sambo Commission for FIAS (International Sambo
Federation) and Chairman of the Russian Combat Sambo Committee.  The
Federation is approved and sanctioned by the National Olympic Committee
of Russia as the sole organization authorized to represent Russian
Martial Art within Russia and world-wide.
The wisdom of ancient Slavic martial traditions dates to the activity of

the proto-Indo-European nomadic hunter-warriors of 5,000bc.  Knowledge
and skills were passed, recorded, from father-to-son in certain families

for generations of pre-Soviet Russia, and then only among the elite
combat subdivisions of the Special Forces ("Spetsnaz") of the x-USSR.
Scott Sonnon and Gregory Lees are the only North Americans in history to

be invited, to train in Russia, and to be inducted as instructors into
the noble heritage of Russian Martial Art.  Scott Sonnon is a
Pan-American and US National Champion of Sambo and a World Sambo silver
medalist.  Greg Lees is a two-time World Sambo Champion, a five time US
National and a three-time Pan-American Sambo Champion.
In 1996, Scott Sonnon and Gregory Lees, due to their lifetime commitment

to Russian Martial Art and their intense devotion to Russian
methodological training, were granted the honor of establishing an
American Annex to the International and All-Russian Federation of
Russian Martial Art, as a non-profit organization dedicated to the
promotion of Russian martial and health traditions and culture, and
sanctioned permission to create the American Academy of Russian Martial
Art and Combat Skill, the first North American training academy for
Russian Martial Art.

RUSSIAN MARTIAL ART TRAINING
Distinguishing features of Russian Martial Art (RMA) are its
non-standardization and infinite adaptability.  Natural reaction sets of

genetic-instinctive bio-mechanics activate innate abilities and
reflexes.  In RMA, the concept of ‘technique’ is missing.  Variations on

the movements of RMA are determined by the variables of the combative
situation, not pre-determined or pre-orchestrated.  This makes it
possible to eliminate repetitive variations so as to prevent the
assailant the ability to construct a counter-attack.  In combat,
continuous flow of motion is employed until the complete neutralization
of the assailants.  Due to the natural movement of RMA, the defender
expends only 25-30% of his bioenergetic potential which enables the
regeneration of energy during the very process of combat.

SEMINAR EXPECTATIONS
Due to the nature of Russian Martial Art training, expect exhaustive and

grueling exercise.  Please prepare for this seminar with physical
conditioning.  Though this will be a one day seminar, the training
intensity will be physically demanding.  This seminar is designed to
imbed neuro-muscular memory and imprint psycho-physiology with the basic

preparation practiced exclusively by the trainers of the elite combat
subdivisions of the Russian Spetsnaz SpecOp units.  This seminar will be

a NON-competitive climate.  Combat is not a sport.  The seminar
introduces practices necessary to increase survivability.  The training
in this particular seminar is designed to introduce a reeducation of
bio-mechanical awareness and bioenergetic potential critical for the
neutralization of armed plural-assailant attacks and to rejuvenate and
develop the physical wellness and fortitude crucial to survival on the
modern combative venue.
GET PREPARED FOR THE NORTH AMERICAN PREMIER DEBUT OF RUSSIAN MARTIAL ART

Call 520-432-9175
Matthew Shane, Arizona Facilitator for the American Academy for Russian
Martial Art

Sender:  Bohdan Peter Rekshynskyj (Bohdan@TRYZUB.com)
Subject: Ukraine FAQ Plus: The Ukrainian Weekly Preview August 17th, 1997,

Greetings,

   The latest *preview* of the Ukrainian Weekly is now available
on the Ukraine FAQ Plus site!  This is an exclusive regular
feature each week containing timely and the most up to date
information on Ukraine and the Ukrainian Diaspora available
on Internet.

   The Ukrainian Weekly is the largest weekly newspaper (in English)
extant in the Western world covering Ukrainian issues both in Ukraine
and in the Ukrainian Diaspora.   The preview is available on Internet at
the address of the Ukraine FAQ Plus Project.  You can obtain
subscription information in order to read the complete articles
when you visit the web-site.  The Ukrainian Weekly is funded by
the Ukrainian National Association and your subscriptions.  Their website
may be perused at http://www.tryzub.com/UNA/.

   We also have a new little section in the "About Ukraine" page
where people may request that their pages dealing (accurately)
with Ukraine may be enplaced!  Drop us an email at faq@tryzub.com

   Please note that one may now browse the FAQ project using
an advanced three dimensional navigational tool.  Point your
browser to http://www.tryzub.com/ for information on how
to download the plug-in for your browser and the actual "mcf"
image which is used for this.

We also have a search engine where you can search through
most of the contents on TryzubSite.  Give it a try and let
us know what you think!  Send email to WebMaster@Tryzub.com

TryzubSite is one of the quickest growing and most visited sites for matters
Ukrainian on Internet. Located at http://www.tryzub.com/, it is currently
host to several organizations. For information and to report problems
such as these, e-mail should always be sent to the attention of the site†s
webmaster to the address: WebMaster@TRYZUB.com. Contacting the webmaster
is the best way to guarantee that any problems are resolved in the most
efficient manner.

The address of the Ukraine FAQ Plus Project is now:

http://www.std.com/sabre/UKRAINE.html

Either click the button labelled "Current Events" by the
Tryzub (Trident) graphic or scroll down and click the
"Current Events" section summary to access this latest
news.

As always, please feel free to email us at faq@tryzub.com

Sender:  Sushma Palmer (SPalmer.CECHE.DC@worldnet.att.net)

NIS HEALTH PROMOTION BULLETIN

ALBANIA * ARMENIA * AZERBAIJAN * BELARUS * BOSNIA * BULGARIA * CROATIA *
CZECH REPUBLIC * ESTONIA * GEORGIA * HUNGARY * KAZAKSTAN * KYRGYZSTAN *
LATVIA * LITHUANIA * MACEDONIA * MOLDOVA * POLAND * ROMANIA * RUSSIA *
SERBIA * SLOVAKIA * SLOVENIA * TAJIKISTAN * TATARSTAN * TURKMENISTAN *
UKRAINE * UZBEKISTAN *

Summer Issue 1997
The NIS Health Promotion Bulletin is published quarterly by the Center for
Communications, Health and the Environment (CECHE) (formerly the Central
European Center for Health and the Environment), an American, private,
non-profit, 501(c)(3) organization based in Washington, DC.  CECHEís mission
has been to assist the newly established democracies of Central Europe and
the former Soviet Union, by assessing, initiating, implementing and
supporting programs to improve health and alleviate the adverse effects of
environmental pollution in the region.  In 1996, CECHE expanded its
geographic focus to include other parts of the world.  CECHEís programs
focus on five areas:  environment and public health policy;  community
intervention;  professional training;  public education;  and private
voluntary action.  CECHE specializes in the use of mass media, especially
television, to accomplish its goals.

Please distribute the Bulletin freely and pass on e-mail addresses of other
readers who would like to be included on our mailing list.  Send articles,
comments and tax-deductible contributions to:  Center for Communications,
Health and the Environment, 3333 K Street, NW, Suite 110, Washington, DC
20007. Tel: (202) 965-5990, Fax: (202) 965-5996, e-mail:
(SPalmer.CECHE.DC@worldnet.att.net Nina Halper, Editor.

TABLE OF CONTENTS

Reproductive Health
* WHO Program for Nutrition Policy, Infant Feeding and Food Security
Develops New Training Module
* Planned Parenthood of New England and Russian Family Planning Association
Seeking New Strategy
* WHOís CARAK Project Focuses on Maternal and Child Health in Kyrgyzstan,
Tajikistan, Turkmenistan, Uzbekistan, Azerbaijan and Kazakhstan
* Women Infected with HIV Forming Mutual Assistance Groups in St. Petersburg

Media
Environmental Journalists Learn Effective Reporting Techniques in Hungary

Health Promotion, Disease Prevention
The Wemos Foundation Advocates for Safe Drug Donations
Global Healingís Model Medical Treatment and Teaching Center in Georgia
CECHEís MONITOR Focuses on Alcohol and Diet

Youth
Center for Civil Society International Seeks Support for an Ecological Youth
Project in Belarus
High School Students Develop Health Modules for a Healthier Community in
Latvia.

Environmental Health
International Bank for Reconstruction and Development Preparing Water
Supply/Sanitation projects in Albania, Latvia, Poland, Turkmenistan and
Uzbekistan

General Health
Doctors Without Borders Delivers Medical Assistance
International Bank for Reconstruction and Development Preparing Population,
Health and Nutrition Projects in Kazakstan, Lithuania, and the Russian
Federation

Coming Events

*************************
REPRODUCTIVE HEALTH
*************************
*Regional*	WHOís Program for Nutrition Policy, Infant Feeding and Food
Security is developing a training manual for health workers on "Diet during
pregnancy and lactation."  This is a 2-3 day training module which focuses
on the importance of good nutrition for women of child-bearing age and is
aimed at national policy makers in the NIS.  The module is built up of 5
sessions:

I.  Nutritional status and food intake of non-pregnant, pregnant and
lactating women.
II.  Nutritional requirements of non-pregnant, pregnant and lactating women.
III.  Nutrition related problems during pregnancy.
IV.  Vegetarianism, food safety and smoking
V.  The nutritionally compromised mother and the need for specialized referral.

Each session contains an information section followed by a work group
discussion on the specific topic.  The results of the working group are then
presented by the groups in a plenary session.  The overall aim of the module
is to help policy makers identify the need for and develop a plan of action
that will result in the development of a comprehensive national nutrition
policy for women.

For more information, contact Dr. Aileen Robertson, Acting Regional Adviser
for Nutrition, World Health Organization, Copenhagen.  Tel: 45-39 17 13 62,
Fax: 45-39 17 18 54, Email: (aro@who.dk.

*Russia*	Planned Parenthood of Northern New England (PPNNE) and the
Russsian
Family Planning Association (RFPA) will complete their first project
together at the end of July, 1997.  At their evaluation meeting in June, all
six RFPA regional staff identified the need to respond effectively to the
growing campaign of opposition to sexuality education and contraception in
Russia, as a priority issue for their work.  They are interested in learning
about any strategies that other organizations in Russia are using for this
purpose.  Following are the email addresses at each regional center where
you can contact the regional directors with information:
1.  Louidmila Kamsiouk, Moscow, Email: (rfpa@dol.ru
2.  Pavel Krotin, St. Petersburg, Email: (UVENTA@www.medport.ru
3.  Svetlana Krivileva, Izhevsk, Email: (POSTMASTERRAPS.UDM.RU
4.  Irina Taenkova, Khabarovsk, Email: (irina@family.khv.ru
5.  Valentina Zabolotniaia, Krasnodiar, Email: (root@family.kyban.ru
6.  Irina Bogatova, Ivanova, Email: (ivraps@power.indi.ru
7.  Natalya Pasman, Novosibirsk, Email: (root@nfp.nsk.ru

*Regional*	The Sexual and Family Health/Women and Child Health (SFH/WCH)
units of the WHO Regional Office for Europe is focusing on the Central Asian
Republics, Azerbaijan and Kazakhstan to strengthen maternal and child health
services, under a project called CARAK.

The aim of the CARAK project is to reduce maternal and child mortality and
morbidity rates, which are among the highest in the European region. Two
pilot districts have been selected in each country, covering a population of
nearly 2 million in total of which 200,000 are children under the age of
five years.

The CARAK project represents the collective initiative and political
commitment of health authorities from the six participating republics to
promote maternal and child health through an innovative, culturally
appropriate, integrated, broadly replicable paradigm of health interventions
at the district level.

Since 1995, the project has concentrated on the revision of national
policies, the development of training materials and the conduct of over 30
workshops for medical and paramedical staff working in  maternal and child
health (MCH) and family planning in an integrated and holistic approach.
The focus has been the adoption of clinical practices as well as non-medical
interventions that have been shown to be effective in improving maternal and
child health in other countries.

The follow-up and monitoring system is still in its early stage of
implementation and the real impact, in measurable terms, cannot yet be
assessed. However, encouraging trends and developments have been reported by
the districts.

In particular, the practice of early breastfeeding has been widely adopted
and this has already resulted in an observed decrease in post-partum
hemorrhage. In addition, rooming-in has been introduced in several districts
and consequently the rates of infections in newborns seem to be decreasing
in nearly all districts. The referral practices have also been reviewed in
all pilot districts with the aim of making them more flexible and with high
risk cases being more quickly referred to a higher level hospital. Finally,
abortion has decreased by about 25% since 1995 in all districts and the use
of modern contraceptives, particularly intrauterine devices, has sharply
increased.

In 1997 the main CARAK activities include training of national trainers in
MCH technical issues, adaptation of the Integrated Management of Childhood
Illness to the participating countries, provision of basic equipment and
supplies to the pilot health facilities, improvement of
the well-being of women victims of domestic violence and civil conflicts.

The project is being coordinated by the Sexual and Family Health/Women and
Child Health Units of the  WHO Regional Office for Europe; but many other
units within WHO and Collaborating Centers in Europe are also contributing
to ensure the successful implementation of this challenging plan of action.

Technical and financial contributions from the World Health Organization,
the United Nations Population Fund, the World Bank, UNICEF, the United
Nations Development Program, and the Italian Cooperation will ensure the
continuation of the CARAK project.  Much remains to be done but encouraging
change is picking up momentum. Please find also the Sexual and Family
Health/Women and Child Health units on the Internet:
(http://www.who.dk/tech/hp/hp03.htm For more information, please contact:
Dr. Assia Brandrup-Lukanow Regional Adviser, Sexual and Family Health e-mail
(abr@who.dk, or Dr. Viviana Mangiaterra Regional Adviser, Health of Women
and Children, e-mail (vma@who.dk.  Tel (45) 39 17 17 17, Fax (45) 39 17 18 50

*Russia*	The St. Petersburg branch of the "Names" Foundation
reported that
HIV infected women will begin working in September -- on the basis of the
Russian infectious clinical hospital mutual assistance groups.  There will
be regular lessons for these women on the psychological struggle with crisis
conditions and stress, self-regulation, and the search for possibilities to
take part in social work.  The program was developed together with the
Children's Foundation "Health and Family" (City of Kolpino).  Contact Elena
Vedmed, (812) 464-9334.

******
MEDIA
******
*Hungary*	The Fifth Congress of the International Federation of
Environmental Journalists (IFEJ), October 15-18, 1997 is meeting in Budapest
to strengthen connections between and provide access to information for
environmental journalists worldwide and raise public environmental awareness
globally.  The focus will be the environmental problems of the Central and
Eastern European region, with a special look at problems related to the
Danube basin, including the recent conflict between Hungary and Slovakia and
pollution in the Black Sea.  For more information, contact Marta Sarvari,
Tel: (36-1) 344-3649 or Email: (kut@okosz.zpok.hu.

The Environmental Media Workshop, a special conference for Hungarian
environmental journalists will be held at the Regional Environmental Center
for Central and Eastern Europeís Conference Center in Szentendre from
September 11-13, 1997.  The workshop will focus on the main environmental
issues in Hungary and how to effectively report on them, and the importance
of discussing these issues through Hungarian media.  Journalists throughout
the country are encouraged to attend.  For more information, contact Paul
Csagoly at, Tel: (36-36) 311-199, or Email: (pcsagoly@rec.org.

************************************
HEALTH PROMOTION, DISEASE PREVENTION
************************************
*Regional*	The Wemos Foundation, a Dutch non-profit organization that
addresses international health issues through policy advocacy and education
activities, coordinates the Dutch national committee on drug donations.  The
following article "Drug Donations are Meant to Help" was written by Mark
Raijmakers, M.Sc. of the Wemos Foundation.

… Lithuania, 1993: Eleven women temporarily lost sight after using a donated
drug.  The drug was a veterinary medicine but was mistakenly given as a
gynecological drug.
… Bosnia, 1994-95:  Throughout the Bosnian civil war, inappropriate drug
donations continued to arrive from countries in the European Union.  One
report estimated that approximately 340 tons of  expired drugs were received
in Mostar, Bosnia.
… In 1996, a Moldovan pharmacological NGO discovered that 21 percent of the
doctors surveyed said donated drugs were inappropriate and 35 percent
believed the donations went to the black market.

Drug donations are not always the best solution to needed drugs.  Many
donations contain inappropriate drugs that do more harm than good.  In May
of 1996, the World Health Organization published the Interagency Guidelines
for Drug Donations, outlining:  all drug donations should be based on an
expressed need and be relevant to the disease pattern of the recipient;
after arrival in the recipient country, all donated drugs should have a
remaining shelf-life of at least one year;  and all drugs should be labeled
in a language that is easily understood.  Recipients may have difficulty
refusing donations when placed in a needy situation, however they should
send specific lists of drugs beforehand and be informed of all drug
donations that are being considered, prepared or actually underway.
Recipients should not spend money on clearance and transport of donations.
No double standards in quality means that returned of unused drugs are not
suitable for donation purposes;  these drugs should be destroyed.
Alternatives include:  sending medical equipment, money to buy drugs
locally, or essential drugs bought at the non-profit wholesaler.

Health professionals play crucial and central roles in appropriate drug
donations, both on the donor and the recipient sides.  On the donor side
health professionals can:
* educate the public about the disadvantages of using returned drugs for
donation purposes
* advise people to look for alternatives
* check with the government to find out if WHO guidelines have been implemented
* promote national drug policies that support the essential drugs concept.
* expose bad practices and encourage appropriate donations

On the recipient side, health professionals can:
* find out about the problem in their community
* assist recipient organizations in drawing up lists of required drugs and
informing donors about local and national needs
* draw up national rules regarding drug donations in their organizations.

For more information on undertaking action in your community, please
contact:  (wemos@tip.nl.  The guidelines for drug donations can be ordered
at the WHO: (dapmail@who.ch

*Georgia*	Global Healing, a registered non profit (501(c)(3))
organization
is working in cooperation with the Georgian Ministry of Health, the Medical
University of Tbilisi, the Georgia Medical Team, the American Medical Team,
and Georgian private businesses, to establish a self-sufficient
multi-disciplinary model medical treatment and teaching center at Childrenís
Hospital #2 Tbilisi, Georgia.  The initial focus of the project is to
develop an advanced pediatric cardiovascular medical and surgical center.
Existing facilities and equipment have been upgraded, training is provided
and technical support available.

The renovation of the hospital cardiology unit was completed and the clinic
opened in September of 1996.  Local cardiologists have performed over 60
heart surgeries since opening.  The American medical team will visit Tbilisi
again in October of 1997 to provide additional training and support.  Global
Healing has shipped over $2.5 million worth of equipment to the center.

Global Healing is seeking additional funding to provide transportation to
the American Medical Team.  There are no paid employees.  For more
information contact, Cindy Basso Eaton at Tel: 510-736-8010, Fax:
510-736-5031 or (Email: Basso2@aol.com.

*Regional*	The Fall issue of the CECHE MONITOR will focus on alcohol.
Issues
to be discussed include:  the global problem of alcohol abuse and related
problems; morbidity and mortality in Central and Eastern Europe and Asia;
alcohol treatment programs, the debate over risks and benefits of alcohol
for cancer and heart disease, trends in alcohol consumption, the impact of
alcohol prevention and treatment; and public health policies.  The following
issue on diet will uncover:  cuisines and diet patterns in the same regions;
nutritional attributes, benefits and risks; malnutrition, dietary factors in
chronic disease, morbidity and mortality; and diet for the prevention of
chronic diseases.  We welcome your suggestions for topics, content, or
authors, who are experts in these fields.

To be added to the MONITOR subscription list, or to submit ideas or
contribute to future issues, contact:  Nina Halper, Editor, CECHE, Tel:
(202) 965-5990, Fax: (202) 965-5996, or e-mail: send a message to "The
MONITOR" followed by your name and address to
(SPalmer.CECHE.DC@worldnet.att.net.

*****
YOUTH
*****
*Belarus*	Center for Civil Society International has recently received a
letter from Polessie, an ecological youth center in Gomel, Belarus, seeking
support for a project to provide ecological information to the people of
south-east Belarus.  Polessie is an independent social organization which
unites all ages of children, university students and scientists in a variety
of environmental projects.  It organizes ecological education programs and
publishes environmental materials.  Polessie works on such issues as:

… rational use and conservation of biological resources
… monitoring and long-term ecological studies
… monitoring management methods in protected areas

The groupís proposed project will make use of the mass media, social
surveys, and Polessieís own scientific investigations in order to influence
public opinion and initiate new ecological laws.  Polessie is seeking
financial and other kinds of support.  Interested parties should contact:
Svetlana Zhadko, President, Eco-Youth Center "Polessie" 50 let BSSR, 4,
Gomel, 246033, Belarus, Email:  (school8@wvb.gomel.by.

*Latvia*        In Tukum, a group of high school students is developing a
series of six health modules under the auspices of a new community health
initiative by the Riga-St. Louis, Missouri hospital partnership.  The
modules, which will be introduced each month from October through April,
will address mental health, sexuality, school-age childrenís health, first
aid/accident prevention, maternal and child health, and nutrition.  Students
will provide instruction and generate discussion on each of these topics by
performing skits about peer pressure and self-esteem and how they relate to
drug use; inviting their grandmothers to come into the schools to cook
favorite recipes under the guidance of nutritionists; and publishing a
coloring book to teach young children about the importance of handwashing.
High school students in St. Louis will share advice and learning materials
with the Latvian teens throughout the year.  Reducing infant mortality,
fetal and maternal complications, incidence of sexually transmitted
diseases, the abortion rate, and alcohol use among young people are all
goals of the project, as is replication in other rural Latvian towns.  The
project will be carried out at no cost to the community and will target
isolated groups, such as the elderly and orphans, in addition to the broader
population.  For more information, contact (aiha@aiha.com.

********************
ENVIRONMENTAL HEALTH
********************
*Regional*  The International Bank for Reconstruction and Development is
preparing the following Water Supply/Sanitation projects in Albania, Latvia,
Poland, Turkmenistan and Uzbekistan.

The US$20 million Municipal Water and Wastewater project in Albania will
rehabilitate and upgrade water and sanitation systems in two or more
medium-sized cities and provide technical assistance to strengthen local
water and sewerage networks.  Project preparation is under way.  Consultants
will be required for final design, construction supervision and technical
assistance.  Contact, Ministry of Construction and Tourism, Skenderbej
Square, Tirana, Albania, Tel: (355-42) 28345, Fax: (355-42) 27879.

The US$7.9 million Municipal Solid Waste Management project in Latvia will
include remediation and continued operation of an existing landfill serving
Riga city which generates about 45 percent of all municipal solid waste in
Latvia.  Project preparation is under way.  Consultants will be required.
Contact, Ministry of Environmental and Regional Development, Peldu St. 25,
LV-1494 Riga, Latvia, Tel: (371-2) 226-578, Fax: (371-2) 820-442.  Project
information document number: PID: LVPA40553.

The US$40 million Krakow Water and Wastewater project will finance
institutional strengthening and investments for the rehabilitation and
expansion of water supply and wastewater systems for the municipal water and
wastewater utility of Krakow.  Project processing is currently on hold.
Consultants will be required.  Contact, Mr. Wojciech Studnicki, Director,
MPWiK Krakow, ul. Senatorska 1, Krakow, Poland, Tel: (48-12) 21-20-11, Fax:
948-12) 21-44-12.

In Turkmenistan, the US $430,000 Water Supply and Sanitation project will:
a) improve the water supply and sanitation in Etrap centers and selected
collective farms, and b) initiate institutional and policy changes in the
water supply and sanitation sectors to improve financial and technical
sustainability.  Consultants will be required.  Contact, Ministry of Water
Resources, 1 Seijdi St., Ashgabat, Turkmenistan 74400, Tel: (7-363)
225-3032, Fax: (7-363) 235-1512.

The US $75 million Water Supply, Sanitation and Health project in Uzbekistan
will assist in the rehabilitation and development of water supply and
sanitation in the populated areas most affected by the Aral Sea
environmental crisis, including improvements in related institutions and
policies.  Selection of consultants is under way.  Contact,
Goskomprognostat, 45 A Uzbekistanskaya St., Tashkent 700066, Uzbekistan,
Tel: (3-712) 391-091.

**************
GENERAL HEALTH
**************
*Regional*	Doctors Without Borders is working in Georgia, Azerbaijan,
Chechnya and Ingushetia to deliver medical assistance to refugees, displaced
populations and local populations.  Assistance focuses on health services
and include the distribution of medicine and the monitoring and training of
local health workers.  In some cases, they provide primary care and
emergency surgery, and are involved in the design and implementation of
cholera prevention and control programs.  For more information, contact:
Samantha Bolton, Communications Director, Doctors Without Borders USA, 11
East 26th Street, Suite 1904, New York, NY 10010, Tel: 212-679-6800, Fax,
212-679-7016.

*Regional*	The International Bank for Reconstruction and Development is
preparing the following Population, Health and Nutrition projects in
Kazakstan, Lithuania, and the Russian Federation.

In Kazakstan, the US$10 million Health project will include two components:
a) a program at the oblast level which would include primary health care,
facility reorganization and rationalization and financial and management
strengthening; and b) a program at the national level supporting health
promotion and health program evaluation.  Project preparation is under way.
Consulting services to be determined.  Contact, Ministry of Health, 63 Ablai
Khan Avenue, Almaty, Kazakstan, Tel: (7-3272) 33-46-11, Fax: (7-3272) 33-17-19.

The US$20 million Health project in Lithuania is aimed at increasing
efficiency, quality, access and consumer satisfaction of the health care
system by: a) implementing a hospital restructuring program and
strengthening primary health care in two pilot regions; and b) strengthening
the capacity of the Ministry of Health to implement a health insurance
system.  Consulting services will be needed for project preparation.
Contact, Ministry of Health, Gedimino Dr. 27, 2682 Vilnius, Lithuania, Tel:
(370-2) 226-596, Fax: (370-2) 227-587.

In the Russian Federation, a Health Reform Pilot project would develop and
support the National Family Medicine Program and reforms in health service
delivery and financing.  A PPF advance of US$729,000 has been approved to
finance consultants services for federal level components.  Consultants will
be required.  Contact, Mr. Vladimir Shinkarenko, Project Director, Central
Support Unit, Russia Health Reform Pilot Project, Russian Health Care
Investment Foundation, 10 Voznesensky Per., Room 30-31, Moscow, Russian
Federation, Tel: (7-095) 234-0682 or 83, Fax: (7-095) 232-1544.

***************
UPCOMING EVENTS
***************
September 9-11, 1997	The Institute for Ecology of Industrial Area (IETU) in
Katowice, Poland is sponsoring Visitor Day í97.  Organized by IETU and RACE
(Risk Abatement Center for Central and Eastern Europe) the event will
consist of a: Bioremediation Workshop, Risk Assessment Workshop, and Risk
Management Workshop.

If you would like to participate in the event, please contact Artur Wojcik,
RACE Board of Directors at Tel: 48-32-254.60.31 ext 275, Fax:
48-32-254.17.17, or Email: (woj@ietu.kotowice.pl.  For more information
please visit IETUís web page at http://www.ietu.us.edu.pl/race/vistorday

September 22-25, 1997.	International Life Sciences Institute Europe/FAO,
Workshop on Food-based Dietary Guidelines and Nutrition Education in
Slovakia.  For more information, contact: (roberta@dc.ilsi.org.

October 6-8, 1997       AIHAís Fifth Annual NIS Partnership Conference in
Atlanta, Georgia in the United States, will focus on infection control and
infectious disease, management of chronic disease and disease prevention and
wellness promotion.

October 18-24, 1997	Third Annual World Conference on Childbirth
Education in
Budapest, Hungary, sponsored by Magee Womancare International and
ASPO/Lamaze, the largest childbirth certification program in the US.

This yearís event will bring health educators from throughout the US,
Central and Eastern Europe and former Soviet Union together for a forum on
the development of childbirth education and womenís health globally.
Members of ASPO/Lamaze faculty will conduct four day seminars and workshops
on childbirth education techniques and professional development.

The cost of the trip without airfare is $1000 per person for participants
from Central and Eastern Europe and NIS, including double occupancy, group
transportation in Budapest, group meals, tours, cultural events and
accommodations.  For American participants the cost of the trip is $1800 per
person, double occupancy and includes airfare from New York City, all
transportation costs, group meals, tours, cultural events and
accommodations.  A three-day excursion to Prague, Czech Republic will be
arranged from October 24-27, 1997, for an additional cost of $400.

For more information, please contact Magee Womancare International:  300
Halket Street, Pittsburgh, PA 15213-3180, Tel: 412-641-1189, Fax: 412-641-1202.

November 3-6, 1997	International Life Sciences Institute Europe/FAO,
Workshop on Food-based Dietary Guidelines and Nutrition Education,
Lithuania.  For more information, contact: (roberta@dc.ilsi.org.

November 9-12, 1997	 The Fourth Canadian Conference on International Health
"Women, Health and Development." Ottawa/Hull, Canada.

This conference will encompass the following themes:  Addressing violence
and creating a culture of peace; Economic determinants of health; Health
needs and priorities; Gender as a determinant of health; Participatory
mobilization/empowerment; Safe motherhood and reproductive health, as well
as HIV issues, nutrition, measuring progress in womenís health, legal and
ethical issues, refugee women, health education and cultural sensitivity in
health programs.

For more information, contact Deborah Shnay, Conference Coordinator,
Canadian Society for International Health, 170 Laurier Avenue West, Suite
902 - Ottawa (Ontario) K1P 5V5, Canada.  Tel: 613-230-2654, ext. 306, Fax:
613-230-8401, Email: (csih@fox.nstn.ca, or web site:
(http://www.csih.org/ccih/ccih.html.

   Greg Cole, Director
   Center for International Networking Initiatives
   The University of Tennessee System                Phone:  (423) 974-7277
   2000 Lake Avenue                                    FAX:  (423) 974-8022
   Knoxville, TN  37996                     Email:  gcole@solar.rtd.utk.edu
   http://www.friends-partners.org/friends/