We want to dedicate this issue of the digest to two very special members of
our Friends and Partners team.  Sasha Ovchinnikov and Sveta Sandler have
worked with us in our center in Knoxville for over a year - and so many of
the changes and improvements to F&P during this time are directly
attributable to their hard work and their dedication to this project and
this community.  They are both moving on to new and challenging jobs -
Sveta to a graduate assistantship within our University, Sasha to a new job
with an international software/language development company based in
Knoxville.  Both departures represent a very sad and difficult loss for us
- but we are happy that their skills, personalities and hard work have
given them such good opportunities.

The many contributions of Sasha and Sveta to F&P are simply too numerous to
list here - but please know that if you ever read our pages in the Russian
language, you can thank Sveta for so many of the excellent translations -
and if you ever use chat servers, the "coffee house", the various databases
or other interactive services on F&P, you can thank Sasha for all she has
done "behind the scenes" to make everything work (and to keep it working).
Additionally, they have contributed much of the content for F&P, have
assisted with much of the correspondence, and have provided for the
stability and maintenance of our U.S. server.

"Thank you" just doesn't say enough for what they have meant to F&P and to
us personally.  We hope that many of you might take a few moments to
express your gratitude and to wish them luck.  They will always have
accounts on F&P at the following addresses:

   Sasha Ovchinnikov - sasha@solar.rtd.utk.edu
   Sveta Sandler     - sveta@solar.rtd.utk.edu

We will always consider Sasha and Sveta as very special members of the F&P
community - and of our "family" here in Knoxville - and we hope they will
continue to contribute to this project as they are able.

As sad as Sasha and Sveta's departure is for us, it is also a wake-up call
as we wrestle with the sustainability of this project we so strongly
believe in.  We continue grateful to the University of Tennessee and to the
Pushchino Institute of Biochemistry and Physiology of Microorganisms for
all the support they have provided to F&P over its 3 years of service.
Increasingly, however, we recogize that to continue and to expand this good
work, we must locate the financial means of doing so.  We will welcome and
so appreciate your ideas on how we might do this.

Thanks once again to our friends, Sasha and Sveta.  We will not say
goodbye -- as we are looking forward to many years of continued friendship
and work together.  But we will certainly miss seeing and working with you
each day.

  -- Greg, Natasha, Angie, Anita, Alberto, Dima, Evgeny, Sonya, Tanya
     (and about 2,000 of your "friends and partners")

01-10 February 97  New Coffee House

02-10 February 97  New Telecommunications Service

03-10 February 97  Bryansk provincial paper on the Web

RECENT GUESTBOOK ENTRIES . . .

01-10 February 97  Sender:  toddabr@rmtaero.bfg.com