01-10 January 97  Sender:  cmhscub@ionet.net
                  Subject: geography and technology education

                  Subject: Nizhniy Novgorod

                  Subject: RE:Information Needed

                  Subject: Help needed.....

                  Subject: list of colleges/univ. that teach Russian

                  Subject: slavyanka seeks new director of music

                  Subject: Internships in Seattle

                  Subject: Russia by Rail Guide 1st Update

                  Subject: RE: Digest for 97-01-08

                  Subject: Award to Argumenti i Facti

                  Subject: unidentified characters

                  Subject: Announcing BELARUS MAGIC NEWS

                  Subject: Fulbright Young Essayist Awards

12-10 January 97  Sender:  Bohdan@TRYZUB.com (Bohdan Peter Rekshynskyj)
                  Subject: The Ukrainian Weekly Preview (plus TOC!)

13-10 January 97  Sender: "Funding Opportunity System"
                  Subject: Grants for American Scientists Hosting Colleagues
                           from the FSU in Radioactive Waste Management

Sender:  cmhscub@ionet.net
Subject: GUESTBOOK entry from Lisa Southerland (fwd)

I teach world geography for ninth and tenth grade students and I am always
looking for international sites for them to gain experience in geography
and technology.  This looks like a great place to start.  If anyone has any
specifics e-mail me @ cmhscub@ionet.net.  Thanks

Sender: mapa@bellatlantic.net
Subject: GUESTBOOK entry from Abigail White

Hi!  I visited Nizhniy Novgorod, June 8-21, 1996.  I loved the city and the
people I got to meet.  I stayed at the same hotel as 4 popular rock and
roll bands and attended their concert at their request.  I was very
impressed even though the only speak about 5 Russian words.  But with the
help of Ann Kulachova and Eugene (I don't know his last name), two 18 y.o.
Russian students I was able to have a wonderful time, thanks to their
translation!!!!  I also met a great guy, Sergey Chumack, that attends the
Linguistics school in Nizhniy.  I would like to find him, so if you are out
there,or know him, please write back!  e-mail: mapa@bellatlantic.net
THANKS!!!!!!!!

Sender:  "Robert L. Kozul" (kozulrl*uni@unidial.com)

Hello,
     I am a seventh grade USA Student. My class is studying Russia. I
have to give a report on Sports and Recreation in Russia. I am having
difficulty finding information on these topics. I have some information
on the Spartak Team but need to know what other sports Russians enjoy. I
would appreciate any information or suggestions you may offer. Thank
you.

Sender:  Tropical Airlines & Tropical Airbrush (TropAir@mail.interoz.com)

I am currently writing a book which has many Russian characters. I
would like to establish contact with someone (preferably in Russia) that
can assist me in issues such as: Russian personal names (male and
female), basic Russian phrases such as: Hello, Goodbye, Thankyou,
Please, Excuse me, etc., and probably more as I continue with my
project. Also I will need questions answered regarding Russian
geography, and recent history in the 1950's and 1960's.
	Any help that you can offer will be greatly appreciated.
	Thank you.....

				Bob Deremer

Sender:  CRMN87A@prodigy.com (MRS RUTH J PEAK)

Where can I get a list of colleges and universities in the U.S. that
teach Russian???

Sender:  dmerrill@solar.rtd.utk.edu (Deane Merrill)

Will you please post this announcement in the Friends and Partners mailing
list, and any other relevant mailing lists to which you subscribe?

Thank you!
Deane Merrill, Slavyanka Chorus

Slavyanka seeks Director of Music

TheSlavyanka Men's Russian Chorus (San Francisco) is now seeking a
Director of Music, to start July 1, 1997.  This is a paid part-time
position, with salary to be determined by qualifications and experience.
The Director of Music has primary responsibility for music selection,
preparation and performance; in addition, he/she will participate in board
meetings and business activities.

Slavyanka is an amateur chorus with 25 members, mostly non-Russians.  The
group rehearses weekly in San Francisco, and gives approximately 15-20
concerts per year in the San Francisco Bay area, Northern and Central
California.  The chorus has produced highly acclaimed recordings on the
Harmonia Mundi label, and has toured twice in the former Soviet Union.  The
repertoire (all a cappella) is primarily Russian secular music and
liturgical music of the Russian Orthodox Church, but includes also
selections from the Balkans and other areas of the former USSR.

Additional information is on
Slavyanka's Web page (http://www.friends-partners.org/slavyanka)
Interested applicants should
contact Slavyanka president
Andy Anderson (androssl@ix.netcom.com)
(home 510-527-2091, work 510-540-8096)

Sender:  "D. Gotham" (103443.502@CompuServe.COM)

*  Foundation for Russian/American Economic Cooperation
*  1932 First Avenue, Suite 803
*  Seattle, WA 98101
*  Tel.  206.443.1935  Fax.  206.443.0954
*  http://speakeasy.org/fraec

INTERNSHIPS AVAILABLE

The Foundation for Russian American Economic Cooperation is currently
seeking two interns to start working in January 1997.

The Foundation is a non-profit membership organization enjoying the support
of over 160 private companies and individuals throughout the Puget Sound
Region.  It administers a wide range of programs designed to foster trade
and economic development between the Pacific Northwest and Russia,
particularly the Russian Far East.  In meeting its mission, the Foundation
operates two business centers in Russia, delivers a variety of training
programs, works with U.S. and Russian government agencies on trade policy
issues, and serves as a clearinghouse for Russian trade related
information.

Description of Intern Activities

One internship position will be to support the operations of the American
Business Centers in Yuzhno-Sakhalinsk and Khabarovsk.  The ABCs are part of
a U.S. Dept.  of Commerce program which has 13 ABCs strategically located
throughout the NIS. The ABCs provide business support services, such as
office space and computer usage, as well as items such as market research
services to U.S. companies operating in the NIS. These services are
designed to promote U.S. exports and presence in key regions of the NIS.

The activities of the internship will include supporting the administrative
aspects of the ABCs, responding to inquiries for information, developing
marketing and informational pieces, conducting research on selected topics
pertaining to Sakhalin Island, and developing industry specific databases,
among other activities.

The second position will focus on gathering and writing articles for the
Foundation's monthly fax newsletter, and will also include administrative
support for the Foundation's other programs.  Primarily, the projects would
be related, but not limited to, the Foundation's training programs for
Russian officials and entrepreneurs, as well as Americans who are operating
in Russia.

Qualifications for both positions include an active interest in Russia,
good verbal and written communication skills, good research skills, and an
ability to complete tasks thoroughly and independently.  The internships
are open to both graduate and undergraduate students.

Minimum commitment is one quarter, though a two quarter commitment is
preferred.  12-15 hours/week.  The internship is unpaid, but offers
excellent opportunities for getting involved in the U.S./Russia trade
picture, networking, and participating in general Foundation events.

Send cover letter and resume to:

Robbyn Kistler
Program Manager
Foundation for Russian American Economic Cooperation
1932 First Ave., Suite 803
Seattle, WA  98101
Tel:  206-443-1935
Fax: 206-443-0954