Digest for 97-01-07

We want to wish everyone a very Merry (Orthodox) Christmas!

A few links about Orthodox Christmas include:

  http://www.moscow-guide.ru/Culture/Folk.htm
  http://www.christmas.com/eastern-europe.html
  http://www.musicarussica.com/files/cdchrist.html
  http://www.algonet.se/~bernadot/christmas/9.html

And, from the Kidlink WWW server
(http://www.kidlink.org/KIDPROJ/MCC/1.7.2.html), a story about Russian
Christmas Eve told by Olya from Ekatineraburg:

  The Christmas' Eve (night from 6 to 7 January).  Usually in the
  Christmas' Eve people have a fast from morning till late evening, till
  the first star will appear.  When the star appears, people lay the table
  with dishes - Saint Christmas Supper.  Kutya, svar and roasted goose must
  be on this table.  People fortune-tell this night: they pour melt wax
  into the water and guess future by thicken outlines.  They knew many ways
  of fortune-telling.  The mummers go from house to house during Christmas,
  they sing Christmas carols and are treated.  Dens are in every family.
  People make it themselves.  The den is a two-circle little box and there
  play scenes with wood figures.  The main scene is the Birth of Our
  Saviour.

  There is a recipe of roasted goose with apples in that article but I do
  not translate it because I think you do not need it.

  Bye, your Olya

Merry Christmas!

01-07 January 97  Grisha's KOI8 -) transliteration Russian text convertor

02-07 January 97  Advanced International Studies Unit (AISU)

RECENT GUESTBOOK ENTRIES . . .

01-07 January 97  Sender:  eserter@metcom.net.tr