01-03 January 97  Ecostan News

RECENT EMAIL . . .

01-03 January 97  Sender:  aln@signal.biosci.ohio-state.edu
                  Subject: western businesses in FSU

                  Subject: Wanting E-mail friends from Russia

                  Subject: Russian Public Information Center in Latvia

                  Subject: Contacts/Partnership wanted for website.

                  Subject: Eurasia Foundation and Ukrainian community

                  Subject: Looking for old friends !

                  Subject: USAID needs services, Macro policy Ukraine]

                  Subject: internship resource guide

                  Subject: FBIS

                  Subject: Demise of FBIS

                  Subject: An Important Conference

*  Latest issue of Ecostan News: Ecological News from Central Asia

   Please see the Education/Science page; then select Scientific
   Resources; then choose Environmental Sciences section from the
   Discipline Pages category  or visit directly at URL:

   http://www.friends-partners.org/friends/edusci/science/ecostan
   /ecostan.4.12.html

Sender:  aln@signal.biosci.ohio-state.edu

Hi!  Does anybody know if there is somewhere (on the Web or published
anywhere) a directory of Western (North American or Western European)
businesses operating in Former Soviet Union countries.  Alex.

Sender:  Gary Brown (garyb@metronet.com)

Hello,

My name is Gary and i live in Dallas, Texas USA. I am looking to get to
know some people in or from Russia. U do not speak Russian so all E-amil
must be in english. Hope to hear from ya.

Gary

Sender:  "Valerij I. Gerasimov" (valery@irga.vernet.lv)

Dear Friends and Partners:

You are welcome to visit
RUSSIAN PUBLIC INFORMATION CENTER IN LATVIA (RPIC) on URL

http://solar.rtd.utk.edu/~valery/russnews.html

RPIC is a wide project dedicated to the Russian life in Latvia and to
relationships between parts of the Russian Diaspora in different countries.
We plan to establish Russian public and cultural organizations, "electronic"
exhibitions and libraries, and so on.

Project is supported by:
The Center for International Networking Initiatives
The University of Tennessee and
VERSIA Ltd.(The oldest Internet provider in Latvia)

All kinds of cooperation will be greatly appreciated.
Please address your ideas and/or critics to Mr. Valerij I. Gerasimov
(irga@irga.vernet.lv).

Best regards

Valerij I. Gerasimov,
Coordinator of project
Russian Public Information Center in Latvia

Sender:  Dave Wells (wellsd@elwha.evergreen.edu)

I am creating an 'unofficial' website on Pavlovsk Palace-Museum and Park
and I am looking for contact/partnership with a local school, lyceum or
college. My interest and emphasis is on museums-as-educational
institutions and in co-operative relationships between museums and
communities with the museum and it collections as resources. It is a new
approach to musuem education programmes, but it should be helpful in
teaching about history and social history as well as architecture,
applied art, conservation/restoration, landscape architecture/history and
so forth. Ideally, it would be nice to develop some sample materials or
useful programmes.

I have been writing on museums-as-educational institutions,
community/museum co-operative relationships (the New Museology
philosophy), ways in which museums can be supportive of cultures and act
as catalysts in public school programmes.

My other interests are in conservation/restoration and especially in work
done to repair damage from the 1941-1945 war; Russian culture; indigenous
cultures (Native American and Swedish Sami are foci); Neo-Classical
applied art; fine art photography and book arts.

Thanks
Dave Wells
Olympia WA USA

Sender:  "Ellen Kerszencwejg" (ellenk@eurasia.org)
Subject: Eurasia Foundation and Armenian American community

I am the Director of Development at the Eurasia Foundation.  This past
year, we began working within the Armenian American community to raise
Armenian funds to augment our funds for grants and loans in Armenia which
we administer through our office in Armenia.  We have been working with
Sona Hamalian, a well-regarded Armenian American and a talented fundraiser
and have witnessed extraordinary success within the community.  The
Armenian American community has embraced the Eurasia Foundation as an
important ally and partner in their quest to rebuild Armenia.  They are
particularly pleased with our operation because we provide an on-the-ground
grantmaking infrastructure that supports small business development and
democratic institution building.  We also monitor every grant and have had
a 100% success rate.

I would like to start similar work in the Ukrainian community and am
looking for some guidance.  I am interested in finding someone who is
familiar with the Ukrainian community and could help us reach prominent
Ukrainian Americans and Canadians.  I can't promise compensation at the
outset, but with demonstrated progress and success, we would be willing to
consider a contractual relationship at a later point.

Please contact me either directly at 202/234-7370 or through the above
listserv.

Sender:  Claude Demers (microfo@intlaurentides.qc.ca)

I have known many activists, members of the CPSU or the Komsomol, from the
time of the S.U., during trips I did from Moscow to Baku in between 1970
and 1987.  Some of them were teachers or interpreters at the Social Science
(party school) for foreigners In Moscow in 1978.

Whatever was their political opinion at the time as was mine, I am
wondering what those people are becoming today ?  What they think of the
changes which occured in Russia since then, what they make for their living
right now and how they adapt themselve in the new political reality in
Russia?

Allthough I do have many first names, I have no second names.  So I'm
trying to get in contact with any person who use to be close to the
Komsomol or the CPSU leadership in Moscow at that time and who would be
willing to help me get in contact with some of these peoples.

This request has a strict personal purpose and any Information I will
get will be kept confidential as well as any information about the
persons helping me with these informations.

You should contact me by e-mail please.

Claude Demers

mailto:microfo@nordnet.intlaurentides.qc.ca
http://nordnet.intlaurentides.qc.ca/~microfo

Sender:  ac737@lafn.org (Michael Segal)

For more information, contact your nearest USAID Outreach Office.

In Portland, OR Call Michael Segal at (503)-229-6734
In Long Beach, CA, Call Brian Huerta at (714)-975-1522
In Chicago, Ill, Call Aileen Furlong at (312)-467-0550
In Maine, Contact John Champagne at (207)-287-3190
In Washington, DC, Contact the Center for Trade and Investment Services at
(800)-872-4348

or, on the World Wide Web
http://www.info.usaid.gov

TITLE: COOPERATIVE AGREEMENT FOR IMPLEMENTATION OF A MACROECONOMIC POLICY
PROGRAM IN UKRAINE
SOL USAID/KIEV RFA 97-01   DUE 020397

POC Contact Elinor B. Bachrach, Project Officer, USAID/Kiev, Tel: 380-44-
462-5678; Fax 380-44-462-5834 or Roy Pluckett, Agreement Officer,
USAID/Washington, Tel: 703-875-1907; Fax: 703-875-1243.

The United States Agency for International Development (USAID) is seeking
applications from a U.S. institution (or consortium of institutions led by
a U.S. institution) for the purposes of (1) assisting the Government of
Ukraine (GOU) to improve its macroeconomic policy formulation and
implementation by providing policy advice and (2) extending policy support
to new and ongoing reform efforts of USAID and other U.S. Government and
international donor organizations involved with macroeconomic policy issues
and programs in Ukraine.  USAID reserves the right to fund, in whole or in
part, any or none of the applications submitted in response to this
announcement.  Applications will be evaluated and the selection based on
the application that is most advantageous to the Government, considering
technical and cost factors stated in the evaluation criteria of the Request
for Applications (RFA).  Further instructions regarding technical and cost
proposal will be in the RFA. The RFA, once issued, can be downloaded from
the Agency Gopher.  The Gopher is GOPHER.INFO.USAID.GOV. Select USAID
Procurement and Business Opportunities from the Gopher menu.  The RFA text
can be downloaded by the Anonymous Files Transfer Protocol (FTP).  The FTP
address is FTP.INFO.USAID.GOV. Logon on using the user identification of
anonymous and the password is your E-mail address.  Look under the
following directory for the RFA: pub/OP/RFA/1219701/1219701.rfa.  Receipt
of the amendment through INTERNET must be confirmed by written notification
to the contact person noted above.  It is the responsibility of the
recipient of this amendment to ensure that it has been received from
INTERNET in its entirety and USAID bears no responsibility for data error
resulting from transmission or conversion processes.  (I-355 SN014219)

U.S. [AGENCY FOR INTERNATIONAL DEVELOPMENT], [USAID]/Mission to Ukraine,
American Embassy Kiev, Washington, D.C. 20521-5080

Sender:  Paul Goode (paul.goode@st-antonys.oxford.ac.uk)

Greetings!

A few months back I asked for help in putting together a guide to
internship resources for students in Post-Soviet and East European studies.
After some delay, the guide is due to be online by the end of January.  It
will be located on the University of Oxford's Institute for Slavonic
Studies' WWW page (http://units.ox.ac.uk/departments/slavonic/).  It is
still uncertain whether a hard copy will be published.

There is no charge of any sort for being included in the guide.  I am
looking for help from all ranges of groups and individuals that can offer
internship(s) - paid or unpaid - to students.  While location in the FSU or
Eastern Europe is preferable, groups or individuals doing related work
outside the regions are also of interest.  I am looking for information on
university study abroad and exchange programs, as well.

In order to be included in the guide, I will need the following
information: organizational name, contact name, e-mail address.  Some
further information would be extremely useful, such as full physical and
mailing addresses, description of activities, type of internship(s)
available, application procedures and dates or deadlines.

If you volunteered to be listed as a contact earlier, please let me know if
your organization's or personal information needs to be updated.
Additionally, if you happen to know of anyone else who might be interested
in participating in the guide, please either let me know or forward this
message to them.

Thanks for your time.

Best regards,

Paul Goode