#01-21 July 95   Republic of Azerbaijan WWW server

#02-21 July 95   RUSAG-L Current Events #61

#03-21 July 95   Homegrown Home Pages

RECENT EMAIL . . .

#01-21 July 95  Sender:  "Charles R. Trew" ( ctre@loc.gov )
                Subject: Re: Digest for 95-07-16

#02-21 July 95  Sender:  Jarat_Chopra@Brown.edu
                Subject: Evolving Civil Administration in Russia and NIS

#03-21 July 95  Sender:  gabriel@sbsint.com (gabriel baum)
                Subject: Moscow

#04-21 July 95  Sender:  AMY & GREG ( 75443.22@compuserve.com )
                Subject: Russian Ancestry

#05-21 July 95  Sender:  Ray E. Fain, Jr. ( refain@ams-corp.com )
                Subject: Re: Russian Travel

#06-21 July 95  Sender:  Dick Mayo ( dmayo@phoenix.net )
                Subject: Help in locating Russian cities

#07-21 July 95  Sender:  rpaine@cc.colorado.edu
                Subject: Russian articles available in various fonts

#08-21 July 95  Sender:  Christine.Kassner@Informatik.TU-Ilmenau.DE
                         (Christine Kassner)
                Subject: INFO Travel to Kyrgyzstan/Uzbekistan

#09-21 July 95  Sender:  breadsbf@ix.netcom.com (Betty Read)
                Subject: Need Russian Information

#10-21 July 95  Sender:  Agnieszka Zieminska ( AZ@chemonics.com )
                Subject: any privatization, agribusiness experts out there

#11-21 July 95  Sender:  Rachel Sonnett ( rsonnett@eagle.call.gov )
                Subject: Russian penpal request

#12-21 July 95  Sender:  nstn0262@fox.nstn.ca (William Kerr)
                Subject: Re: Ulan Ude

#13-21 July 95  Sender:  Luis Velez ( 73420.1076@compuserve.com )
                Subject: Info on Report on the skeletons of the
                         Imperial Family

#14-21 July 95  Sender:  "James P. Rybak" ( jrybak@mesa5.mesa.colorado.edu )
                Subject: Polish and Czech Republic Travel Offices

#15-21 July 95  Sender:  bboswell@aaas.org (BBOSWELL)
                Subject: Publication on science in the Russian Far East

#16-21 July 95  Sender:  Aline DUPLAA - 33.61394629 ( AD@SCOTC.CNES.FR )
                Subject: CONSULTANTS RESEARCH (x-post from  RUSAG-L)

#17-21 July 95  Sender:  Agnieszka Zieminska ( AZ@chemonics.com )
                Subject: Consultants needed for Kazakhstan (x-post
                         from E-EUROPE)

*  David Couchman, of Caspian Communications, has put together a very nice
   World Wide Web page related to the Republic of Azerbaijan, in the
   FSU.  This page can be accessed from our More Information Resources
   page.

    http://www.tcp.co.uk/~partners/azerbaijan.html

*  RUSAG-L's Current Events #61 is available from our Science page.

*  We have added 3 new "Homegrown Home Pages" which can be acessed from our
   Life page.  They are:

     Grisha "Junta" aka Gregory Leonidovitch Golberg

       http://www.mit.edu:8001/people/grisha/me.html

     Dima Dimon Picard

       http://www.mit.edu:8001/people/dimon/dimon_home.html

     Vadim Khayms

       http://www.mit.edu:8001/people/vadim/title.html

** 001 **********************************************************************

Sender:  "Charles R. Trew" ( ctre@loc.gov )

    In regard to the Cyberlink advertisement from Maxim Soloviev, the
rates are outdated. Calls to Russia are no longer .85 cents, they are now
.92 cents per minute. Still not a bad rate, though.

** 002 **********************************************************************

Sender:  Jarat_Chopra@Brown.edu

I am interested to learn of groups that are working on issues of civil
administration in Russia and NIS,  (administrative/political reorganization
on local/region/national/int'l levels; groups  based in Russia or
internationally).

Thank you.

Jarat_Chopra@Brown.edu

** 003 **********************************************************************

Sender:  gabriel@sbsint.com (gabriel baum)

Do you have any information about medical insurance for Americans living in
Moscow?

I'd appreciate any data.

Thanks

** 004 **********************************************************************

Sender:  AMY & GREG ( 75443.22@compuserve.com )

I came upon Friends and Partners in my travels through the internet. My
immediate reaction was to write to thank both you and Natasha for having
created such a interesting and needed page.So I'm doing just that "Thank
You Both!!!!
          I have a suggestion for a topic. But first a little family
history......  My entire family Grand Father, Grand Mother, Father, Uncle
and two Aunts escaped from Russia in 1917 across the Gobi DESERT into
China. They became people without a country.
          I would welcome a page that would allow me to contact people in
Russia in an attempt to find any family relations who might have survived..
Also would gladly accept any other kind of help in my serch.
                                                         Gerg.

                                gfittinghoff@75443.22CompuServe.com

** 005 **********************************************************************

Sender:  Ray E. Fain, Jr. ( refain@ams-corp.com )

I was looking on the Internet yesterday for information on traveling in
Russia and found your site at UT.  I am from Knoxville as well and was
suprised to find a site like this locally.

I was in Russia both in Moscow and Novovoronezh last October and it looks
like I will be traveling to Moscow and Kursk this month.  I was interested
in finding out some information about the Kursk area, but I have not had
much luck so far.  Do you know of any information about this area of Russia?

Thanks,

Ray E. Fain, Jr.    refain@ams-corp.com

** 006 **********************************************************************

Sender:  Dick Mayo ( dmayo@phoenix.net )

I am trying to help a friend who is attempting to trace his family tree.
Two of his relatives are reported to have been born in Russia - "Yorlott"
and "Niederchortitz" - but we can't locate these cities (villages?) on
any maps we have.  Can anyone help us determine what part of Russia (or
the former SU) these towns are/were in?  Replies may be sent directly to:
        dmayo@phoenix.net
Thanks,
Dick Mayo

** 007 **********************************************************************

Sender:  rpaine@cc.colorado.edu

 FOR THOSE INTERESTED IN RECEIVING RUSSIAN MATERIAL BY EMAIL  (revised 9/11/94)

   Starting in 1992 I have been sending out material in Russian copied from
sources in Russia, usually periodicals, through email usually once or twice
a week. This message is to let you know that this free service is available
for non-commercial use.  IF THIS SERVICE IS NOT OF INTEREST TO YOU, THEN
READ NO FURTHER and accept my apologies for taking up your time and disk
space.   However the material is intended to be of interest to many persons,
including those studying Russian at a non-elementary level and those reading
Russian and wanting to know about some current events in Russia as seen
through Russian eyes.  Also from older sources there are articles containing
material that does not lose its significance through time, e.g. about
the lives and works of prominent writers and musicians of the past.

   For sending out these articles a change of format is needed because
it is difficult to get the VAX system here to them out in Cyrillic.  Therefore,
IN ORDER FOR YOU TO RECEIVE THESE ARTICLES, YOU MUST INFORM ME WHICH FORMAT(S)
1-5 BELOW IS TO BE USED:

  In this file there are five messages containing the encoded forms of the
Russian alphabet listed in order in upper and lower case.  The third line
contains the translation: PEACE and FRIENDSHIP are beautiful words in every
language.  The message in formats (1) and (2) follow immediately; the message
in formats (3), (4) and (5) have been combined and then UUENCODEd.  They are
found at the end of this file.

 (1)    The following is what I call  REaDable (*.RED) in English letters:
A B V G D E E Zh Z I J K L M N O P R S T U F X Ts Ch Sh Shch ` Y ' E Yu Ya
a b v g d e e zh z i j k l m n o p r s t u f x ts ch sh shch ` y ' e yu ya
   MIR i DRUZhBA yavlyayutsya prekrasnymi slovami v kazhdom yazyke.

 (2)   Next is the same message in KOI-7 format (*.KO7):
a b w g d e $ v z i j k l m n o p r s t u f h c ~ { } " y x | ` q
A B W G D E # V Z I J K L M N O P R S T U F H C ^ [ ] _ Y X \ @ Q
   mir I druvba QWLQ@TSQ PREKRASNYMI SLOWAMI W KAVDOM QZYKE.

 (3)   Next is the same message in Cyrillic using alternativnij variant (AV)
(IBM 866).  It is the first part of the UUENCODEd section at the end of
this file.  (*.UAV)

 (4)   Next is the same message in Cyrillic using KOI-8.  It is the second
part of the UUENCODEd section at the end of this file.  (*.UK8):

 (5)   Last is the same message in Cyrillic using format IBM 1251 for Windows.
It is the last part of the UUENCODEd section athe end of this file. (*.UWN):

    The READABLE (1) format is the most simple for a user: it is easier to
read and it requires no additional software to read it.  The  Russian
letters have been replaced by nearly phonetic groups of English letters.
The messages in READABLE format are intended for immediate reading, without
converting them back to Cyrillic.

    With more difficulty it is possible to read messages in the KOI-7 (2)
format.  Since it is a simple one-for-one substitution of English letters
and punctuation for Cyrillic, there are programs that convert messages sent
in this format back to Cyrillic.  However, a problem arrises if the messages
contain both Russian and English words.  Moreover, one must have a computer
that has Cyrillic fonts.

    The font (3) Alternativnyj Variant (AV), also known as IBM 866, is used
in many places in Russia. It includes all 33 letters, both upper and lower
cases, and the number sign  No  but not the Cyrillic quotes  ((  )).  Any
message or article in this font sent from me through email will be UUENCODEd.
    I believe that the message in the AV format can be loaded into
WordPerfect 5.1 and read there.  In that case the Russian Module should be
installed, WordPerfect is started with the command  WP/cp=866 (there are
other numbers such as 899,...) and after WP is ready, the TEXT IN/OUT keys
are pressed.

    The KOI-8 format (4) has become very popular in Russia for sending messages
in Russian over the net. Yet it is deficient in three letters:  e and E  with
two dots over them and upper case hard sign which looks like  b  with the upper
part extended to the left.  It does have the quotes  ((  and  ))  but not
the number sign  No .  Moreover the Cyrillic letters are not stored in the
font file in alphabetic order, so it is more difficult to program a sort. Any
message or article in this font sent from me through email will be UUENCODEd.

    The 1251 format (5) is used with Microsoft WINDOWS.  It has the most
symbols including all 33 letters of the alphabet (both upper and lower case)
as well as  ((  ))  No .  Any message or article in this font sent from me
through email will be UUENCODEd.

  NOTE: For those who already have the program UUDECODE  and the hardware
of IBM or IBM clone with EGA/VGA, I can send to you free a small package
AVPACK4 of about 20 programs and files which will allow you to read on screen
the articles received in formats (2), (3), (4), (5). But it includes no text
editor (I use the turbo-Pascal editor-compiler or the word processor PC-WRITE
to type in the articles in Russian).

     Five electronic mailing lists (eml) has been started up here to
distribute the articles sent in the different formats:
   RUSSLIST-RED  for messages written in READABLE format (1)
*  RUSSLIST-KOI7  for messages written in KOI-7 format (2)
** RUSSLIST-UAV  for messages written using AV font and then UUENCODED (3)
   RUSSLIST-UKOI8  for messages written using KOI-8 font and then UUENCODED (4)
***RUSSLIST-UWIN for messages written in code page 1251 (for Windows)
NOTE: * formerly  RUSSLIST-KOI, formerly RUSSLIST-UUE;     *** a new eml.
    You must subscribe by notifying me by sending your full name, your email
address and WHICH FORMAT you use  to
                  RPAINE@CC.COLORADO.EDU
There is no more work involved for me if you request more than one format.
The eml has been set up to accept no messages from the subscribers, except that
you can UNSUBscribe or SIGNOFF as done with other listservs.  Send the request
for deleting your address (note your exact address, even upper and lower case
that your system uses) from the appropriate list by sending one of those
commands to the respective eml:
   RUSSLIST-RED-REQUEST@RIKKI.CC.COLORADO.EDU
   RUSSLIST-KOI7-REQUEST@RIKKI.CC.COLORADO.EDU
   RUSSLIST-UAV-REQUEST@RIKKI.CC.COLORADO.EDU
   RUSSLIST-UKOI8-REQUEST@RIKKI.CC.COLORADO.EDU
   RUSSLIST-UWIN-REQUEST@RIKKI.CC.COLORADO.EDU

    However, you should receive a message from the proper list(s) when I
subscribe you or when you or I delete your address.
    Please do not ask me to unsubscribe you sometime in the future, but only
at the moment when you want to stop receiving the articles.  Better yet, do
it yourself.

    When I receive your request for subscribing, I will send you one or two
articles (in the appropriate format) that were recently sent out to
subscribers.  If you do not receive any response from me or eml then please
send another request.  Hopefully these indicate that they are chosen from
various fields of interest, e.g. politics, economics, literature, sociology...
so that if one article is not of interest then in the near future another
should be more interesting.

    If a week passes and you receive nothing, please send another request
for subscription to me.  I do make mistakes sometimes and enter the address
incorrectly. More often you are subscribed but the articles do not reach
you - they "bounce back" to me with error messages.

    If I receive three consecutive times error messages stating that
messages could not be delivered at some address, then I may remove that
address from the mailing list(s).   You can always request a new subscription.

    At the beginning of June, 1995 there were a total of  300+  subscribers
from about 20 countries.  You are welcome to subscribe.

    I type in all the material into my computer (PC clone) in a special
font, proofread the article, convert it to the five formats (1), (2), (3), (4),
and (5) using various programs (most of them my own) and send it out through
five emls.  But human errors can and do happen, and sometimes you will
see typos etc.  My apologies.

    The material originally was intended for persons studying Russian at
a non-elementary level.  But the current news content of most of the
articles and the literary content of other articles has made them become
of interest to many persons who read Russian but who do not have ready
access to current Russian printed materials.  Actually, ANYONE may subscribe.

    Sometimes the link to Internet goes down.  During that time your messages
to me or to the eml will bounce back to you with error messages.  Wait and
try again later to send the messages.  I do appreciate encouragement, as this
service is given entirely voluntarily and without compensation.  It requires
considerable amount of my time.  The housekeeping chores associated with
maintaining the five emls is time consuming also.

    My apologies for such a long message but it includes answers to questions
of general interest and to questions from some of the subscribers in the past.
    To see examples of the formats (3), (4), (5) you will need the program
UUDECODE (or its equivalent).  Apply UUDECODE to this entire file.  (The
Russian fonts should be active.)  Display the contents of the file   MESS.CYR .
If you see the Russian alphabet upper case, lower case and the Russian
equivalent of "Peace and friendship are beautiful words in every language" in
 (3)  then your fonts are  AV (IBM 866) and you can subscribe to RUSSLIST-UAV;
 (4)  then your fonts are KOI-8  and you can subscribe to RUSSLIST-UKOI8;
 (5)  then your fonts are  IBM 1251  and you can subscribe to RUSSLIST-UWIN
------------------
begin 644 mess.cyr
M+BXN+BXN+BXN+BXN+BXN+BXN+BXN+BXN+BXN+BXN+BXN+BXN+BXN+BXN+BXN
M+BXN+BXN+BXN+BXN+BXN+BXN+BXN+BXN+BXN+BXN+BX-"B@S*2!!3%0@5D%2
M("!)0DT@.#8V("`@("`@("`@("`@("`@("`@("`@("`@("`@("!255-33$E3
M5"U5058-"H`@@2""((,@A""%(/`@AB"'((@@B2"*((L@C""-((X@CR"0()$@
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M+BXN+BXN+@T**#0I($M/22TX("`@("`@("`@("`@("`@("`@("`@("`@("`@
M("`@("`@("`@("`@(%)54U-,25-4+55+3TDX#0KA(.(@]R#G(.0@Y2`@(/8@
M^B#I(.H@ZR#L(.T@[B#O(/`@\B#S(/0@]2#F(.@@XR#^(/L@_2`@(/D@^"#\
M(.`@\0T*P2#"(-(@QR#$(,4@("#6(-H@R2#*(,L@S"#-(,X@SR#0(-(@TR#4
M(-4@QB#((,,@WB#;(-T@WR#9(-@@W"#`(-$-"NW)TB#)(,32U=;"P2#1U\S1
MP-33T2#0TL7+TL'3SMG-R2#3S,_7P(W)(-(@R\'6Q,_-(-':V(O%+@T*+BXN
M+BXN+BXN+BXN+BXN+BXN+BXN+BXN+BXN+BXN+BXN+BXN+BXN+BXN+BXN+BXN
M+BXN+BXN+BXN+BXN+BXN+BXN+BXN+BXN+BXN+BX-"B@U*2!724Y$3U=3("!)
M0DT@,3(U,2`@("`@("`@("`@("`@("`@("`@("`@("`@("!255-33$E35"U5
M5TE.#0K`(,$@PB##(,0@Q2"H(,8@QR#((,D@RB#+(,P@S2#.(,\@T"#1(-(@
MTR#4(-4@UB#7(-@@V2#:(-L@W"#=(-X@WPT*X"#A(.(@XR#D(.4@N"#F(.(@
MZ"#I(.H@ZR#L(.T@[B#O(/`@\2#R(/,@]"#U(/8@]R#X(/D@^B#[(/P@_2#^
M(/\@NPT*S.CP(.@@Y/#SYN'@(/_BZ__^\O'_(._PY)KPX/'M^^SH(/'K[N+@
5[.@@XB#JX.;D[NP@_^?[ZN4N#0H:
`
end

*************
PEACE and FRIENDSHIP are beautiful words in any language
Richard B. Paine
Home telephone number (719) 635-4879
(Work) FAX number: 719-634-4180
internet: RPAINE@CC.COLORADO.EDU
bitnet: RPAINE%CCNODE@COLORADO

** 008 **********************************************************************

Sender:  Christine.Kassner@Informatik.TU-Ilmenau.DE (Christine Kassner)

Hello,

I'm planning to go to Kyrgyzstan/Uzbekistan in august/september. Has
anybody any experience with those countries in the last time:
trekking facilities, accomodation, costs inside the
countries, things that should be seen and done.
I would be very glad if you could send me an e-mail with some
information.
Kassner@Informatik.TU-Ilmenau.DE

Thanks

Christine.

** 009 **********************************************************************

Sender:  breadsbf@ix.netcom.com (Betty Read)

I am writing you on behalf of a daughter of a friend who will be going
to Kurgan, Siberia this fall to study the Russian culture and
language.She will be at the Kurgan Pedalogical Institute as part of a
overseas study program through Lawrence University in Wisconsin.

On my own I have not been able to find a Internet e-mail site close to
that city. She is very familiar with e-mail at her university here and
needs an educational or as least expensive as possible commercial
access site. Do you know of one in that area or close by enough that
the long distance phone charges would not be too great? This is very
important after the many problems a number of us have had trying to
post office mail letters to get penpals in Russia as part of our
Russian language classes. By the way do you also know where how
ordinary Americans(like me) or Russian language students in America can

find e-mail penpals. I know your Friends and Partners Home Page seems
dedicated to more professional acquaintances, but as a person just
plain fascinated by Russia culture, I would like to get a penpal of
similiar interests. My son as well as the friend's daughter both took
Russian I in high school with me as aide. I have unfortunately not the
same quickness at picking up the language as them, but it introduced me

to Russia in a totally new way. I admire your ambitious attempt with
the Friends and Partners Home Page to bring our countries closer
together.

We will appreciate any help you can give us,

 Psaceba,(Thank you)
Betty Jean Read from Oregon USA
   BReadSBF@ix.netcom.com

Would really appreciate some help. Arie is taking on a lot going ove
there as she is visually handicapped and wants to be a journalist.

Thanks
Betty Read

** 010 **********************************************************************

Sender:  Agnieszka Zieminska ( AZ@chemonics.com )

I am not sure who belongs to this network, and I wonder if there are
people who are agribusiness/privatization experts who would be interested
in consulting work in the NIS.  Also, there are persons who can point me
to them I'd very much appreciate it.

Agnieszka Zieminska

Recruiter, Europe and NIS
Chemonics International
2000 M Street NW, Suite 200
Washington, DC 20036

tel. 202-955-3425
fax: 202-955-3400
az@chemonics.com

** 011 **********************************************************************

Sender: Rachel Sonnett ( rsonnett@eagle.call.gov )

 -
Greetings Friends!

In the fall I will be teaching a first-year Russian course at the
University of Arizona.  I would like my students to have the opportunity
to correspond with young Russians so that as they develop their language
skills they can use them in a real-life contaxt.  Also, it would be nice
for them to know someone in Russia so they have someone to visit if they
decide to study abroad in St. Petersburg or Moscow.  If you know anyone
that I could contact to set up around 15 penpals, please let me know.  At
the beginning, correspondence would need to be in English, but as the
students progress in their Russian ability they may be able to correspond
in Russian.  By nature, this would be a long-term project.

Please contact me by e-mail at:  rsonnett@call.gov until July 28.  After
that date, I will unfortunately be disconnected from e-mail for a little
while.

Thank you very much.
Rachel Sonnett
rsonnett@call.gov

** 012 **********************************************************************

Sender:  nstn0262@fox.nstn.ca (William Kerr)

A colleague in the UK will be possibly travelling to/working in Ulan Ude for
2 months later this year, and I have offered to help collect as much
up-to-date information as possible.

Is there anyone on this list who might be prepared to offer some assistance
and information about local conditions there circa 1995?!
Needless to say, there is little information available locally about Ulan
Ude, and firsthand reports, advice, general information, etc., would be
greatly appreciated. There may even be a reader in U.Ude itself who might
like to correspond in the next few months?

Does anyone have any knowledge of URL's with any info on U.Ude or immediate
area?

Many thanks for all and everything, directly by e-mail to:
Za ranee boljshoe spasibo za pomoschj.  Mozhno pisatj po-russki po adresu:

William Kerr
nstn0262@fox.nstn.ca

(Halifax, Canada)

** 013 **********************************************************************

Sender:  Luis Velez ( 73420.1076@compuserve.com )
Subject: Info on Report on the skeletons of the Imperial Family

Dear Sirs,

Perhaps you could kindly help me with the following:

As a venezuelan researcher interested in the Anastasia Nicolayevna - former
Grand Duchess of Russia - case, I have been trying to obtain information about
the release of the Official Report of the scientific analysis of the finding of
5 skeletons of the Russian Imperial Family but so far it's been impossible to
confirm if the Report has already been released, if it is public, or if it is
expected to come out somewhen soon.

Last schedule I heard of was April 1995. Since then, no news.

I would appreciate greatly your help if you could at least supply the name and
e-mail of someone who may inform me.

Thanks in advance,

Luis Velez
internet:73420.1076@compuserve.com

** 014 **********************************************************************

Sender:  "James P. Rybak" ( jrybak@mesa5.mesa.colorado.edu )

Does anyone know if Poland and the Czech Republic maintain government
travel offices in the U.S. where one can obtain travel information
concerning those countries?  Also, who in the U.S. (or abroad) can help
arrange sightseeing trips to these countries in which you can get off the
beaten path, perhaps stay in smaller hotels or private homes, and NOT be
part of a regular, big tour group?  My wife and I have been to both
countries as part of tour groups and now would like to get to know the
countries better.

Jim Rybak

** 015 **********************************************************************

Sender:  bboswell@aaas.org (BBOSWELL)

A report is now available on the recent meeting entitled "Bridges
of Science Between North American and the Russian Far East: Past,
Present, and Future." This conference, held August 29 - September
2, 1994 in Vladivostok, Russia brought together over 100 U.S. and
350 Russian scientists from many diverse scientific disciplines
with an interest in the Russian Far East and Beringia. The
conference was organized by the American Association for the
Advancement of Science and the Far Eastern Branch of the Russian
Academy of Sciences.

This report presents information about and selective findings
from the conference. Included are appendices which provide lists of
participants, with contact information; the conference program; and
copies of press coverage of the conference in the United States and
Russia.

The report is available for US $15.00. To request a publication
please send a check, payable to AAAS, or a money order to:

Ms. Sanoma Lee Kellogg
Project Assistant
AAAS
1333 H Street, N.W.
Washington, D.C. 20005
Tel: (202) 326-7027
Fax: (202) 289-4958
skellogg@aaas.org

** 016 **********************************************************************

Sender:  Aline DUPLAA - 33.61394629 ( AD@SCOTC.CNES.FR )

An international consultancy company is looking for the following
positions to be based in Moscow for durations ranging from 3 to 6 months
:
- An agricultural engineer or technician with knowledge in remote
sensing, background in statistics and or knowledge in
photo-interpretation
- Agronomic technicians for ground surveys with knowledge of russian
agriculture
- experts in Geographic Information Systems and Remote Sensing
- experts in statistics with crop forecasting experience.
- 1 project director with agronomic engineering degree and confirmed
experience in remote sensing. At least 10 years of seniority in a
similar position is required; Duration : 2 years in Moscow.

English language mandatory and Russian language would be an asset for
all the above positions.
European community and TACIS countries nationality is mandatory for all
applications.

If interested, please reply before August 1st 1995.

regards,

Aline DUPLAA
+------------------------------+-------------------------+
| Aline DUPLAA                 |                         |
| Marketing Assistant          |                         |
| SCOT CONSEIL                 |                         |
| 1, rue Hermes                | Email: ad@scotc.cnes.fr |
| Parc technologique du Canal  |                         |
| F-31526 Ramonville St Agne   | Voice: (33) 61394629    |
| FRANCE                       | Fax  : (33) 61394610    |
+------------------------------+-------------------------+

** 017 **********************************************************************

Sender:  Agnieszka Zieminska ( AZ@chemonics.com )
Subject: Consultants needed for Kazakhstan (x-post from E-EUROPE)

A private consulting firm is seeking several experts for
intergovernmental finance reform project in Kazakhstan.  These are both
long-term (one year) and short-term assignments (several months),
beginning late summer (September).

The advisors will assist in the reform of current intergovernmental
financial system and following are the required qualifications:

Advisor 1: Senior expert in the area of Fiscal Federalism who has
specialized expertise in the areas of revenue allocation, and subvention.
 This expert should have a Ph.D. in economics and will reside in
Kazakhstan for one year.

Advisor 2: Will assist the government of Kazakhstan in rationalizing
overall national public expenditures.  Ideally this person should have a
Ph. D. in Public Finance, have practical experience in NIS and be fluent
in Russian language.  This advisor will reside in Kazakhstan for one
year.

Advisor 3: Will assist 2-3 oblast as well as selected ministries at the
national level, in developing modern budgetary capability.  This advisor
will should have extensive experience in doing budgetary analysis for
local governments and appropriate academic training. Ideally, this
advisor should also have a practical experience in the NIS countries and
be fluent in Russian.

Short term advisors:

1 leading public finance expert, who will serve as the intellectual
leader of this project.

2 senior legislative experts, who will be responsible for drafting the
required changes in the areas of taxation, intergovernmental transfers,
and intergovernmental structure.  The advisors should be familiar with
with the NIS countries and be fluent in Russian.

If you are interested or know of people who might be interested/qualified
please contact:

Agnieszka Zieminska
Chemonics International
2000 M Street NW
Suite 200
Washington, DC 20036
tel. 202-955-3425
fax: 202-955-3400
AZ@chemonics.com

To visit the FRIENDS WWW server, use the following URL if you have

For those who need it, the IP address of our computer is 128.169.112.24.

Natasha Bulashova, natasha@ibpm.serpukhov.su

Greg Cole
Research Services
The University of Tennessee                  Phone: (615) 974-2908
211 Hoskins Library                            FAX: (615) 974-6508; 974-4103
Knoxville, TN  37996                         Email: gcole@solar.rtd.utk.edu