#01-18 April 95  New BISNIS Documents

RECENT EMAIL . . .

#01-18 April 95   Sender: tracey.rappaport@sfwmd.gov (Tracey Rappaport)
                  Subject: Reply for Stephanie (travel in Russia)

#02-18 April 95   Sender: acker@icebox.ncook.k12.il.us
                  Subject: help for high school students

#03-18 April 95   Sender: maria@citzinfo.irkutsk.su
                  Subject: conference in Irkutsk

#04-18 April 95   Sender: gorovits@bioc02.uthscsa.edu (Boris Gorovits)
                  Subject: Balakin? Arefyev?

#05-18 April 95   Sender: Oleg A Zamouline (ZAMOULIN@AC.GRIN.EDU)
                  Subject: an American art student seeks friends in Russia

#06-18 April 95   Sender: "Dr. Fran Winfrey (WINFREF@mail.firn.edu)
                  Subject: Educators for Peace and Understanding

#07-18 April 95   Sender: jonny.birkelund@stv.uio.no
                  Subject: Travelling through russia in july/august

#08-18 April 95   Sender: newby@clark.net
                  Subject:  Kaliningrad and Kaliningrad Oblast

#09-18 April 95   Sender: AMS6474HIST@APSU.BITNET
                  Subject: Russian Textile Search

#10-18 April 95   Sender: kedzie@rand.org (Chris Kedzie)
                  Subject: WWW Homepage response -Suggested URL

#11-18 April 95   Sender: Center for Civil Society International
                          (ccsi@u.washington.edu)
                  Subject: List of NGOs in Russian Far East

#12-18 April 95   Sender: Steven Kostyk (skostyk@freenet.niagara.com)
                  Subject: Ukrainian clothing manufacturer

#13-18 April 95   Sender:  Mail-Server
                  Subject: US White House Names Special Advisor on New
                           Independent States
#14-18 April 95   Sender: Philip Hudanish (psu00008@odin.cc.pdx.edu)
                  Subject: Software Programmers in Russia Sought

#15-18 April 95   Sender: mac@MAINE.maine.edu (Dennis McConnell)
                  Subject: Russia, Ukraine, Moldova - REC Local Coordinators

#16-18 April 95   Sender: mac@MAINE.maine.edu (Dennis McConnell)
                  Subject: IREX Short-Term Travel Grants

#17-18 April 95   Sender: mac@MAINE.maine.edu (Dennis McConnell)
                  Subject: Agribusiness Education Coordinator/Instructor-Russia

*  Two new BISNIS documents have been added and can be found from our
   Business and Economics page.  They are:

     - Business Opportunities in Togliatti
     - IMI: Intervolga '95 conference in Togliatti, Russia

** 001 **********************************************************************

Sender: tracey.rappaport@sfwmd.gov (Tracey Rappaport)

I tried to send this directly to Stephanie but it got sent back to
me with some error messages so I'm sending it through Friends and Partners.
Thanks...

Subject: travel in Russia

Stephanie -

I can only speak from experience of October 1991.  At that time my husband
and I went to Moscow, Kiev and St. Petersburg.  We do a lot of travelling
and never travel with a group.  We had relatives in Moscow so we stayed with
them.  We travelled around Moscow many days on our own.  Unless you have access
to some sort of transportation it was very difficult for us to travel outside
of the cities.  When we were there we also took the night trains from Moscow to
Kiev and from Kiev to St. Petersburg...at that time they only let visitors
travel on the night trains.  (But we bought train tickets there at a
considerable savings).

Anyway, we didn't speak any Russian, except for the few words we learned
before we left) I learned the alphabet so that I could recognize which way
to help us out somewhat...but we found that to be our biggest hinderance.

We never felt afraid...we never felt as if we were being watched.  But unless
the climate has changed a great deal since 1991...everyone we met was very
friendly and very curious about america.  I would think if you could speak
Russian, people would be more that happy to help out...although they might be
bitter now because their economy is awful and they do not see it getting any
better.

Good Luck.

Tracey Needle  (aka:  tracey.rappaport@sfwmd.gov)

** 002 **********************************************************************

Sender: acker@icebox.ncook.k12.il.us

I teach a course in Russian history to students who are 16
to 18 years old at The Latin School of Chicago, a college preparatory
school in the center of Chicago, Illinois, USA.  About 10 of my students
would like to have keypals with students in Russia.  Can you help me
obtain names of students in the Russia and the Successor States who would
like to make contact over the Internet?  I have tried and tried to set
this up with no tangible results. Thank you for any suggestions.  Jill
Acker

Jill Acker
acker@icebox.ncook.k12.il.us
The Latin School of Chicago, 59 W. North Blvd., Chicago, IL 60610; 312-563-4562
Home: 1310 Ritchie Court., 4C, Chicago, IL 60610; 312-944-4039

** 003 **********************************************************************

Sender: maria@citzinfo.irkutsk.su

Dear friends,

Irkutsk Association of Phychologists and Pshychotherapis invite all the
intersted people to participate in the conference "Problems and Practical
Experience in Offering Phychological and Psycotherapeutic Assistanse to
the Population" that is to be held on June 13-14 1995 in Irkutsk. The
participants and guests will be offered a cultural program and trip to
Lake Baikal. Travel and lodging expences are paid by the participants.
Their stay can be prolonged to 7 days if desired. Those who wish to
participate in the conference, please inform us by May 1, 1995.

We can be reached at:  maria@citzinfo.irkutsk.su

** 004 **********************************************************************

Sender: gorovits@bioc02.uthscsa.edu (Boris Gorovits)

Hi, everyone,

I am looking for two guys: Andrey Balakin and Alexey Arefyev. They can be in
US (at least one of them). I will appreciate any help. Please, send reply on
gorovits@bioc02.uthscsa.edu.
Thanks, Boris Gorovits

** 005 **********************************************************************

Sender: Oleg A Zamouline (ZAMOULIN@AC.GRIN.EDU)

I have an American friend Nick Herman from Minneapolis, he is an art student
and is interested in establishing connection with Russian artists, with a
possible intent to then go to Russia for a while and work on art there.
He has already been to Russia before and speaks some Russian. If you have
any interest in establishing ties with Nick, please write to me at

Zamoulin@ac.grin.edu

and I will forward you to him.

--Oleg Zamouline

** 006 **********************************************************************

Sender: "Dr. Fran Winfrey 305/621-5681ext221" (WINFREF@mail.firn.edu)

The International Movement "Educators for Peace and Understanding" is
holding an international congress of children, parents and educators for a
future without violence June 27-July 2, 1995 in Svetlogorsk, Kaliningrad,
Russia.  The main goal of the Congress is to discuss and find ways for
unifying efforts of different generations and organizations acting in the
interests of peace, a safe future, democracy, moral values common to all
people, international understanding and cooperation, and human rights.  In
the framework on the Congress it is planned to organize children and youth
discussions, festivals and exhibitions in accordance with the Year of
Tolerance proclaimed by the UN.  The registration fee for participation in
the Congress is $300 per person which covers all the expenses for
accommodation with three meals a day and a cultural and entertainment
program.  For additional information please contact the organizing
committee by May 1, 1995, Dr. Mikhail Kabbattchenko, 42 Leninski Prospect,
Room 1519, Moscow  FAX 0905-938-7985 or telephone 095-930-8486.

** 007 **********************************************************************

Sender: jonny.birkelund@stv.uio.no

Hi,
I'm a norwegian student planning to travel from
Irkutsk-Ekaterinburg-St.Petersburg in July/August. The first part
(Irkutsk-Ekaterinburg) will be by train, but hopefully I will try to
buy a russian motorcycle in Ekaterinburg and travel to St.Petersburg
using this.
I have a friend in Ekaterinburg, but wonder if there is anyone in
Irkutsk who would like to have a guest from Norway for a few days.
Also looking for people to visit between Ekaterinburg and
St.Petersburg.

My interest is environment, (working for Norwegian Nature Conservation
Foundation in Oslo) with a special interest in boreal forests.

Any hints regarding a visa is also greatly appreaciated. I have a
invitation to Ekaterinburg, but I wonder if this is only useful
in Ekaterinburg.
Do I need an invitation for every places I would like to visit, or
could I use the same Ekaterinburg-invitation when applying for visa to
St.Petersburg and Irkutsk?

Thanks in advance,

Best regards,
Jonny Birkelund
jonnyb@karl.uio.no

** 008 **********************************************************************

)From: newby@clark.net

Hi! Can you help me? I am looking for stuff related to Kaliningrad and
Kaliningrad Oblast (formerly Konigsberg and East Prussia).  For example I'd
like to find a WWW related to Kaliningrad.  Also e-mail addresses of
Kaliningraders who speak English.  Thanks, Newby

** 009 **********************************************************************

Sender: AMS6474HIST@APSU.BITNET

Dear Friends,

        I am a history major that is interested in pursuing a detailed study
of tapestries, embroideries and laces from Russia and the other newly
independent states. I am interested in all areas of textiles- church, imperial
and those of the peasantry. I am looking for any material available, such as
patterns, articles or books on this subject. If you have any information or
can direct me to any sources I would be very grateful. I can be reached at
the following address.

Thank you,

        Angela Savage

105 Camino Circle