This page no longer updated from 31 October 2001. Latest version can be found at www.astronautix.com
|CZ-3A - |
13,717 bytes. 109 x 429 pixels.
Family: Long March. Country: China. Status: Hardware. Other Designations: Long March 3A.
The Long March 3A was a three-stage launch vehicle. By incorporating the mature technologies of the CZ-3 and adding a more powerful cryogenic third stage and more capable control system, the CZ-3A had a greater geosynchronous transfer orbit capability, greater flexibility for attitude control, and better adaptability to a variety of launch missions. The CZ-3A's geosynchronous transfer orbit payload capability was 2,700kg. By June 30, 1998, the CZ-3A had made three consecutive successful launches, and was offered to international customers.
Launches: 4. Failures: 0. Success Rate: 100.00% pct. First Launch Date: 08 February 1994. Last Launch Date: 25 January 2000. LEO Payload: 7,200 kg. to: 200 km Orbit. at: 28.5 degrees. Payload: 2,600 kg. to a: Geosynchronous transfer trajectory. Liftoff Thrust: 302,000 kgf. Total Mass: 241,000 kg. Core Diameter: 3.4 m. Total Length: 52.5 m. Launch Price $: 55.00 million. in 1999 price dollars.
- Stage Number: 1. 1 x CZ-3A-1 Gross Mass: 179,000 kg. Empty Mass: 9,000 kg. Thrust (vac): 332,952 kgf. Isp: 289 sec. Burn time: 155 sec. Isp(sl): 259 sec. Diameter: 3.4 m. Span: 7.0 m. Length: 23.1 m. Propellants: N2O4/UDMH No Engines: 4. YF-20B
- Stage Number: 2. 1 x CZ-3A-2 Gross Mass: 33,600 kg. Empty Mass: 4,000 kg. Thrust (vac): 84,739 kgf. Isp: 297 sec. Burn time: 110 sec. Isp(sl): 260 sec. Diameter: 3.4 m. Span: 3.4 m. Length: 11.5 m. Propellants: N2O4/UDMH No Engines: 1. YF-25/23
- Stage Number: 3. 1 x CZ-3A-3 Gross Mass: 21,000 kg. Empty Mass: 2,800 kg. Thrust (vac): 16,000 kgf. Isp: 440 sec. Burn time: 470 sec. Diameter: 3.0 m. Span: 3.0 m. Length: 12.4 m. Propellants: Lox/LH2 No Engines: 2. YF-75
1994 Feb 8 - - 08:30 GMT. LV Configuration: Chang Zheng 3A s/n CZ3A-1. Launch Site: Xichang . Launch Complex: LC2.
1994 Nov 29 - - 17:02 GMT. LV Configuration: Chang Zheng 3A s/n CZ3A-2. Launch Site: Xichang . Launch Complex: LC2.
1997 May 11 - - 16:17 GMT. LV Configuration: Chang Zheng 3A s/n CZ3A-3. Launch Site: Xichang . Launch Complex: .
2000 Jan 25 - - 16:45 GMT. LV Configuration: CZ-3A s/n CZ3A-4. Launch Site: Xichang . Launch Complex: LC2.
- 42 - Isakowitz, Steven J,, International Reference to Space Launch Systems Second Edition, AIAA, Washington DC, 1991.
- 61 - Wilson, Andrew, editor,, Jane's/Interavia Space Directory, Jane's Information Group, Coulsdon, Surrey, 1992 et al.
|LM-3A - Long March LM-3A launch vehicle on the launch pad.|
13,312 bytes. 141 x 284 pixels.
Back to Index
Last update 12 March 2001.
Definitions of Technical Terms.
Contact Mark Wade with any corrections or comments.
Conditions for use of drawings, pictures, or other materials from this site..
© Mark Wade, 2001 .