Industry briefing on feasibility studies for the Apollo spacecraft Program: Apollo. Spacecraft: Apollo CSM.
The Goddard Space Flight Center GSFC conducted its industry conference in Washington, D.C., presenting details of GSFC projects, current and future. The objectives of the proposed six-month feasibility contracts for an advanced manned spacecraft were announced.
These objectives were:
Fixed-fee contracts were to be Jet to prime contractors only; several contracts would be let concurrently. The timetable was announced:
- To define a manned spacecraft system fulfilling STG guidelines
- To formulate a program plan for implementation
- To identify areas requiring long lead-time research and development effort
- To analyze the cost of providing the system.
References: 16 .
- August 30, 1960, industry familiarization;
- August 31-September 6, expression of interest to NASA;
- September 7, invitation to bidders' conference;
- September 12, bidders' conference at STG;
- October 10, proposals received;
- November 14, contracts awarded;
- May 15, 1961, contracts completed.