This page no longer updated from 31 October 2001. Latest version can be found at www.astronautix.com
|Gemini Ferry - Drawing of Gemini Ferry in flight.|
Credit: McDonnell-Douglas. 10,640 bytes. 301 x 167 pixels.
Manufacturer's Designation: McDonnell-Douglas. Class: Manned. Type: Spacecraft. Nation: USA. Manufacturer: McDonnell-Douglas.
The Gemini Ferry vehicle would have been launched by Titan 3M for space station replenishment. A MOL-type hatch in the heat shield would allow the crew to enter the space station through an Apollo-type proble and drogue hatch at the base of the spacecraft - a design very like the Soviet TKS. Much shorter than the MOL, the cargo module could be left attached to the station and the reentry vehicle return to earth on its own.
Craft.Crew Size: 2. Total Length: 8.3 m. Maximum Diameter: 3.0 m. Total Habitable Volume: 2.55 m3. Total Mass: 15,590 kg. Total Payload: 9,090 kg.
- Module: Adapter Module. Length: 1.4 m. Basic Diameter: 3.0 m. Max Diameter: 3.0 m. Overall Mass: 1,180 kg. Structure Mass: 300 kg. Reaction Control System: 200 kg. RCS Coarse No x Thrust: 6 x 43 kgf. RCS Fine No x Thrust: 8 x 10kgf. RCS Propellants: N2O4/MMH. RCS Isp: 273 sec. Maneuver System Propellants: Solid. Maneuver System Isp: 255 sec. Maneuver system delta v: 101 m/s.
- Module: Cargo Module. Length: 4.0 m. Basic Diameter: 3.0 m. Max Diameter: 3.0 m. Overall Mass: 12,050 kg. Payload: 9,090 kg.
- Module: Reentry Module. Modules.Crew Size: 2. Length: 3.4 m. Basic Diameter: 2.3 m. Max Diameter: 2.3 m. Habitable Volume: 2.55 m3. Overall Mass: 1,910 kg. Structure Mass: 638 kg. Heat Shield Mass: 144 kg. Reaction Control System: 133 kg. Recovery Equipment: 98 kg. Naviagation Equipment: 63 kg. Telemetry Equipment: 51 kg. Electrical Equipment: 126 kg. Communications Systems: 26 kg. Crew Seats and Provisions: 426 kg. Crew mass: 144 kg. Miscellaneous Contingency: 100 kg. Propellants: 33 RCS Fine No x Thrust: 16 x10kgf. RCS Propellants: N2O4/MMH. RCS Isp: 283 sec. RCS Total Impulse: 9,226.19 kgf-sec. L/D Hypersonic: 0.16. Maneuver System Propellants: N2O4/MMH. Maneuver System Isp: 283 sec. Electric System: 4.0 kWh. Electric system type: Batteries. Battery: 180.0 Ah.
- 207 - Big G, Briefing, McDonnell Douglas, 20 December 1967.
- 208 - Advanced Gemini Spacecraft, Briefing, McDonnell Douglas, ca. 1967.
- 210 - Marks, C D and Quest, R G, AAS Science and Technology Series, Vol. 21, "Low Cost Orbital Transportation: How Big A Step!", 1969.
Back to Index
Last update 12 March 2001.
Contact Mark Wade with any corrections or comments.
Conditions for use of drawings, pictures, or other materials from this site..
© Mark Wade, 2001 .