This page no longer updated from 31 October 2001. Latest version can be found at www.astronautix.com
Fernando (Frank) Caldeiro
Status: Active. Trained as: Astronaut. Profession: Mission Specialist. Sex: Male. Marital Status: Married. Children: One. Birth Date: 12 June 1958. Birth City: Buenos Aires. Birth Country: Argentina. Nationality: American. Group: 1996 NASA Group. Date Selected: 01 May 1996.
NASA Official Biography
- NAME: Fernando (Frank) Caldeiro
- NASA Astronaut Candidate (Mission Specialist)
- PERSONAL DATA:
- Born June 12, 1958 in Buenos Aires, Argentina, but considers Merritt Island, Florida, to be his hometown. Married to the former Donna Marie Emero of Huntington Beach, California. They have one child. He enjoys building, flying and racing his own experimental aircraft, snorkeling, amateur radio (KE4RFI). His parents reside in Flushing, New York. Her parents reside in Fountain Valley, California.
- Graduated from W.C. Bryant High School, Long Island City, New York, in 1976; received an associate degree in applied science in Aerospace Technology from the State University of New York at Farmingdale in 1978, a bachelor of science degree in mechanical engineering from the University of Arizona in 1984, and a master of science degree in engineering management from the University of Central Florida in 1995.
- Experimental Aircraft Association, Aircraft Owners and Pilots Association.
- Kennedy Space Center (KSC) Technical Leadership Certificate; Rockwell Certificate of Commendation; Group Achievement Awards (9); KSC Center Director Round Table Award; KSC Superior Performance Awards (2); KSC Public Affairs Certificate of Appreciation for Service.
- From 1985-1988, Caldeiro worked as a test director during the production and flight test of the Rockwell/USAF B-1B Bomber. In 1988, he was transferred by Rockwell to the Kennedy Space Center as a space shuttle main propulsion system specialist. In this capacity he was the Rockwell design center representative for the ground processing and launch of the Orbiter Discovery.
- NASA EXPERIENCE:
- He was hired by NASA KSC in 1991 as a cryogenics and propulsion systems expert for the safety and mission assurance office. Selected by NASA as an astronaut candidate in April 1996, Caldeiro reported to the Johnson Space Center in August 1996 and is undergoing training and evaluation for qualification as a mission specialist.
Back to Index
Last update 3 May 2001.
To contact astronauts or cosmonauts.
Contact Mark Wade with any corrections or comments.
Cosmonaut data by Alexander B. Zheleznyakov.
Conditions for use of drawings, pictures, or other materials from this site..
© Mark Wade, 2001 .