Shamanism in the Ferghana Valley

Subject: Shamanism in the Ferghana Valley
Ilhom@aol.com
Date: Thu Mar 02 2000 - 11:21:56 EST

March 2, 2000

Dear Cen Asians:

I have an Uzbek colleague who has recently completed his dissertation through
the auspices of the Ethnography Department of the History Institute of the
Uzbekistan Academy of Sciences. The topic of his research is: Traces of
Shamanism in the Cultural Practices of the Residents of the Ferghana Valley
in the Twentieth Century. Soon the dissertation abstract of his work be
printed and distributed. Thereafter he will present its defense in
approximately 1-2 months.

I am writing in his behalf to ask if there might be anyone interested in
reading and critiquing his abstract which is in Russian (although the
dissertation is in Uzbek)? I am sure it will provide a penetrating look into
an absorbing subject as viewed through the eyes of an indigenous
ethnographer.

Could you please inform me if you know of anyone who might be interested in
critiquing this abstract, or have them contact me directly?

Thank you for any help you can offer in this matter.

Sincerely,

John

John O' Farrell
Tashkent, Uzbekistan