How soft, how snug, how warm, how comfortable- and how bored you are! - Anton Chekhov
First, the preferred method of accessing Friends and Partners is the use of
WWW browsing software. This software allows you to view the in-line
graphics, make use of the graphic maps, listen to audio, and view text in a
more nicely formatted style. But, for a number of reasons, many of our
users cannot use such software. It generally requires a direct 'IP'
(Internet Protocol) connection to the Internet and currently requires a
fairly powerful Macintosh, IBM PC (or compatible), Amiga, or Unix
So, many of our users instead use the special 'friends' account we have
established on our computer system to access the WWW server. To access the
material via this method, you must:
- have telnet access to the Internet
- be emulating a vt100 terminal (this is generally not a problem
as most people seem to, by default, be using software that emulates a
The steps for the use of this method of access are:
At this point (if everything has worked as described), you are on our
computer system (which, for those interested, is a Sun SPARCstation 10)
using the free Lynx WWW browser software developed at the University of
- use the telnet command on your system to telnet to solar.ncsa.uiuc.edu
(NOTE: this is generally the command:
- at the login: prompt, enter
and press RETURN.
Note: The use of all lowercase characters IS important - it won't allow you to
log in otherwise.
- wait a couple of seconds for the first screen to appear.
Now, all you need to know is how to use the Lynx software. The following
are the more important instructions:
That's pretty much it! Lynx is a powerful and flexible software package
and you are encouraged to use the '?' key to learn about its more powerful
features (but probably only after having learned the 'fundamentals'!).
- use the space bar to move forward through the pages of text use the 'b'
key (lowercase b) to go backwards a page
- once you are on a 'hypertext link' (this is a highlighted word
or phrase), press RETURN to 'go' to the referenced material if you have
done this and want to go 'up' to the page from which
you chose the hypertext link, press the 'u' key (lowercase u)
- press the tab key OR the down arrow key to move through the
various hypertext links
press the up arrow key to go backwards through the hypertext
- if you want to mail yourself a copy of whatever you are reading,
just press the 'p' key and then choose the "Mail" option. You will then be
prompted to enter your email address (make sure to erase any material
already in the prompt area)
- finally, when you wish to quit, just press the 'q' key.
- if you wish to learn lots about Lynx, press the '?' key.
F&P Home ° Comments ° Guestbook
©1996 Friends and Partners
Natasha Bulashova, Greg Cole
Please visit the
Russian and American mirror sites of Friends and Partners.
write to us
with your comments and suggestions.