F&P Calarasi County

Calarasi County

Menu:

The Calarasi County

Situated in the South-Eastern part of the Romanian Plain, along the Danube River and its Borcea Branch, the Calarasi county has 2.1 per cent of Romania's surface.

The population of this county was of 339, 800 inhabitants (July, 1992) and the density was of 66.8 inhabitants/sq.km.

The relief of the Calarasi county is dominated by plain: the Baragan, Mostistea (Southern Baragan), Vlasia, Burnea Plains and the Danube River Meadows.

The hydrographic network consists mainly in the Danube River which borders this county to the South and to the South-East. The Danube River has two branches: Borcea to the left and Old Danube to the right which create the Ialomita Swamp or the Big Island of Ialomita. The Arges River flows into the Danube near by the town of Oltenita after its confluence with the Dambovita River near by the town of Budesti. Except these in this county there are also man-made lakes as Iezeru-Mostistea (2,600 ha), Frasinel (1,460 ha), Gurbanesti (680 ha), Fundulea (440 ha).

The climate is a temperate continental one with hot summers and cold winters.

The capital city is Calarasi. Dated back June, 1 st, 1541 (Magureni district) and by Mihai the Brave in 1595 (central district named also Lichiresti), the town was named Calarasi by Voievode Constantin Brancoveanu. This name was inspired by the riders (calarasi) unit which delivered the mail between Bucharest and Constantinopole via Silistra.

Being the shortest way between Bucharest and the seaside of the Black Sea (261 km ) long and overcrossing the Danube at Chiciu-Ostrov). D.N.3 (National Road 3) is used by tourists who stop also in Calarasi or in its environs.

In fact here in Calarasi a number of eight roads, rail and river ways converge offering direct connections between the Eastern part of the Romanian Plain and the Dobrudja.


[English] [Russian TRANS | KOI8 | ALT | WIN | MAC | ISO5]


Updated: 1997-06- Please write to us with your comments and suggestions.