Women's Information Consultative Center
CCSI recieved the following information from the
Women's Information Consultive Center in December, 1997.
What is the Women's Information Consultative Center (WICC) ?
It is a non-governmental, non-profit organization. The basic goal of the Center is to gather, generalize and to disseminate information about women's organizations activity and women initiatives among women of Ukraine. Another goal of the Center is to create a discussion about gender issues in the political and social life of Ukraine to achieve real equality in society.
How we started:
The Center was founded in 1995 on the base of the Association Women Economy Unemployment Market. The activity of the Center is insured by the financial support of the founders, interested organizations, fees and private donations.
What we do:
Below is a sampling of our activities.
- Doing collaborative work with individuals and organizations in law, education, media and political lobbying
- Providing information, directories, and mailings
- Organizing discussion groups and seminars for interested persons
- Consulting on various aspects of women issues, as well as advices in the field of women's rights
The following information is available to the public from the WICC:
- Library about women and women issues;
- Statistical information about the women of Ukraine, their education, emloyment, families and their personal lives
- Data about women's groups and organizations in/out Ukraine;
- A data base entitled "Successful women";
- Literature about women's human rights.
Looking back into WICC History
WICC is open for various contacts with all Ukrainian and foreign institutions, centers, foundations and private persons interested in women's and gender issues.
- 1990-1994: Activity of center's founders in other women's organizations. Launching of Association "Women Economy Unemployment Market"
- March - Juny 1995: Seminars and roundtables "Women and Business", "Women and Employment", "How find a situation?", "Fundraising for NGO's"
- August 1995: Publishing of the book "Daughters of Ukraine"
- August - September 1995: Participation in the NGO Forum on Women, Beijing, China
- September 1995: Semanar "The Fourth World Conference on Women and the NGO Forum'95 are Platform for Action"
- October - Present: Seminars all over the Ukraine - "Women and policy", "Women and election", "Women's human rights", "Conflict resolution," etc.
- May 1996 - translation and publishing of a Ukrainian version of "Our Human Rights", a book about women's human rights
- July 1996 - publishing of Directory of Women's Organizations and Initiatives in Ukraine
- December 1996 - publishing of calendar "Ms.Right" about women's human rights
- January - August 1997 - pilot project "Empowering Education: Equal Rights and Equal Opportunities for Boys and Girls." WICC has published a book entitled "We are one whole" about experience of this pilot project.
"Dialog on Diversity" provides a forum for women to share women's models of leadership, training, and organization building; and to push forward effective strategies of development which empower communities and respect the environment. WICC publishes a magazine,"Dawn", for girls and boys who participated in the project "Empowering Education."
If you want to become a Member of WICC and receive, send, or exchange this information, please write to the address above.
Last updated: December 1997
A print version of much of the information contained in this NIS Third Sector Organizations section can be found in the The Post-Soviet Handbook (Seattle and London: University of Washington Press, 1999).