Fersman Str. 14
The establishing of the KWGSC is aimed at making a contribution to the rise of civil society in Russia and to favour sustainable development of the Murmansk region by means of heightening gender integration; supporting gender research and education in Murmansk region; overcoming a lack of knowledge on gender situations and gender and women studies in Europe for Russian researchers, to help them in joining related networks in Europe. Main objectives:
The researchers working for the KCGRWS have participated (1997-1999) in 10 national and international conferences and research meetings and in 9 research and applied projects on gender/women’s issues. 6 articles on related problems are published in the national and international journals and newspapers.
- visualizing women as actual agents of social and economic change
- raising public opinion and awareness of decision-making concerning gender and women’s issues
- to advance women’s participation in regional development
- to promote educational activity in the fields of legal, economic, historical and political status of women and men in Russia, equality, women’s rights, feminist theory
- to make an input in changing traditional role stereotypes in Russian society
- to develop international contacts in areas of activity related to the transfer of knowledge and experiences of women from Europe and other parts of the world in the matter of equality and women’s empowerment.
Last updated: February 2000
A print version of much of the information contained in this NIS Third Sector Organizations section can be found in the The Post-Soviet Handbook (Seattle and London: University of Washington Press, 1999).