Central Supply / Additional Materials
Ground Cover: Area to be covered=approx.120'x120' (depth noted below)
To accommodate wheelchairs, walkers,etc., and ADA guidelines, the following 3 layer ground cover is recommended:
(literature on this ground cover system provided in playground packet)
- Bottom: 3"-4" aggregate base (provides air and water drainage for resiient ground cover placed above)
- Middle: Sheeting of geotextile fabric (separates ground cover from aggregate base and allows water to pass through)
- Top: 12" hardwood chips as top ground cover
(this will compact to approx.10")
If serving physically handicapped children is not a school consideration, a quality pea gravel could be used (see designer for specifics).
Railroad Ties: Estimated total = 282 ties @ 8' lengths (approx.)
RailRoad ties must be of good quality, but not new or with wet creosote.
Alternative Material: Treated 6"x6" (or larger if available) beams.
Ties (or Beams) will be used as a border to differentiate 3 areas--
- Area 1: The "general interior" area - Contains the ground cover for the entire play area; 2 tier high = 125
- Area 2: The "Interior Islands" (8) - 4 around existing pine trees; 4 enclose Islands of trees, bushes, flowers and seating; 2 tier high = 116
- Area 3: The "exterior" area - Outer border of playscape containing outer rim of plantings (trees, bushes, flowers); 1 teir high = 41
Attachment / securing alternatives (the 1st is preferred)
- Attach with rebar. Predrill holes at two outer points in each tie. Insert and drive 3/8" or 1/2" diameter rebar to secure.
If Rebar used: 482 - @ 30" length; 82 - @ 18" length
- Attach 7"x16" strips of thin gauge (1/8-1/4") non-steel reinforced conveyor belt across butting ends of ties with 12p nails. Discuss method with designer as needed.
If Converyor Belt used: 764 pcs
Concrete: 115 - 80 lb. bags
Easiest way to manage the process of properly setting each pole is to use a Ready-Mix concrete. Ready-Mix allows the crew to work at their own pace. If ground is moist, pour dry into holes; it will set with ground moisture only.